Wiz Vs Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr devil45

Still Fresh
which is better overrall? from a tech side, panda seems better, but idk... :pandora1: :gp2x

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you asking? Which is "better" is a personal decision and there are typical pros and cons to each.

If you want "tech side" information then:

CPU: Pandora's will probably be around 2x faster on average.
GPU: Pandora's has programmable shaders and probably much more fillrate and featureset, although Wiz has a few interesting capabilities.
RAM: Pandora has 4x what Wiz has.
Screen: Pandora's is much larger and much higher resolution.
Controls: Pandora has analog nubs and a keyboard over Wiz in terms of number of inputs.
I/O: Pandora has 2 SD slots, Wiz has one. Pandora also has USB OTG and host on-board, while Wiz requires you to break them out (and we don't know what cables will be made available)
Battery: Pandora's is much higher capacity and should last longer.

But in spite of all of that, Wiz is much cheaper, smaller, has an OLED screen (much better in direct sunlight) and as of right now is fully built in hardware and has been for some time. Software, on the other hand, seems behind Pandora.

I don't want to start a flame war. So far this thread has been very respectful and informative. Hopefully, I will continue this behavior.

Like Exophase said, from a technical standpoint the Pandora is better than the Wiz in every aspect: amount of RAM, processor speed, 3D acceleration, and so on. However, I personally much prefer the Wiz, even though it is much "inferior." Why? Because of the form factor. It seems to me the Pandora is about the same size as the Nintendo DS, which I was never a big fan of. I always thought it was much too big. It doesn't fit in my jeans' pocket. I only bought a Nintendo DS because I wanted to play Nintendogs. Now I only take my Nintendo DS with me on the rare occasions I want to play a Nintendo DS game. Most of the time I carry my Game Boy Micro, which is much smaller and fits in my pocket easily.

The Wiz looks like it's just a little bit larger than the Game Boy Micro and will fit in my pocket easily. It supposedly has a great screen. Plus it can already emulate arcade games (which include Neo Geo games, one of the main reasons why I want one), and Genesis games. That's enough to justify my purchase. I'm hoping it will be able to emulate the Atari 2600 soon, and even if it never does, I will still be reasonably satisfied.

Plus like Exophase said, prototypes of the Wiz have been built for a while, unlike the Pandora, which only published a movie of a fully assembled, running prototype less than a week ago.

Remember, speed and power are not the only factors people consider when we make a purchase. Industrial design, size, and price are also important. Pretty much everybody here who wants a Wiz knows that the Pandora is more powerful, and we still want a Wiz for the reasons I mentioned above.

Hopefully my post and Exophase's post helped.

And congratulations to the Pandora team for finally having a prototype. That was a very important step you have just completed. You should be proud.

It's been said time and time again, that the pandora's specs are so far ahead of the wiz, besides as these are open source consoles, sold from the same site (at least in the UK) there isn't any need for competition

It's kinda funny when people have become so paranoid about trolls that they think that every newb is one...

I think the problem is that the thread started in Wiz section saying Pandora is better. :p
I like both.

Look at the Pandora if You don't see anything ugly it is for You ,, I heat the Pandora design and love both the GP2X/Wiz ..

It is a handheld and to play Pandora comfortably You need a chair or even a

Edit:

'gp2.eXe' said:
I think the problem is that the thread started in Wiz section saying Pandora is better. :p
I like both.
Good idea ( start the topic in Pandora section too maybe Chip won't kill you ) You will know what Pandora lovers think about it too :) :) ( And You will have every advantage because they will tell You and We could hide them :) :) )

'Orange Pumpkin' said:
It is a handheld and to play Pandora comfortably You need a chair or even a
Why would you need a chair to play a Pandora?

Where is Quasist? Where is Quasist? Where is Wiz-Bodyguard? We're waiting for good words from him about wiz / panda comparision, yeah :) I cant wait :)

quasist.gif

'arrrgh' said:
Seriously though, what is Quasist's problem? I have never seen someone so angry on the Internet.
That was a bit of random flaming on your own behalf, Quasist hasn't even posted in this thread yet. It seems like you're trying to start a flame war!

I think there was some issuses with Craig, and then Quasist starts disregard pandora.. anyway Quasist himself should explain really whats going on in his mind. Maybe he think he is GPH secret agent to fight with terror called "Pandorrrrra". Arrrrgggghhhh.... Or maybe its some kind of autopromotion , and GP2X forum is proving grounds for him ... dunno.

Regardless of that, hijacking a thread with flaming like that is uncalled for, especially since Quasist hasn't even participated.

'WarmFluffyUK' said:
'arrrgh' said:
Seriously though, what is Quasist's problem? I have never seen someone so angry on the Internet.
That was a bit of random flaming on your own behalf, Quasist hasn't even posted in this thread yet. It seems like you're trying to start a flame war!

The best way not to start flame war is stopping creating this kind of topics. Even if "arrrgh" will not make this post, its a matter of time Quasist will attacks this topics with his acid against pandora.

It didn't take long for this topic to go off-topic now did it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back