Should I Sell My Wiz For A Caanoo?

Optimistic

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I've read a few of the Wiz vs. Caanoo threads, but I'm still undecided.

What I like about the Wiz: good (or great) GBC, NES, Genesis, NeoGeo, FinalBurnAlpha, TG16 emulation; nice screen, decent build-quality.

What I don't like: the ABXY buttons; the d-pad is better than the GP2X stick, but still not great; screen-tearing is still an issue.

So, basically I want to know about the buttons and stick on the Caanoo as my only real complaints about the Wiz are the controls: In general, d-pads are better than analog sticks for retro games, so how well does it work? Are the buttons significantly better than the Wiz's which are too small and close together? How's the screen?

I just got one. I've had a GP32 (still love it for the controller) and a GP2Xf100, and this kicks the GP2Xs arse.
The controller is waaaaay better. It's not quite as sweet as the microswitched GP32, but all I've installed so far is Mame4All, and playing tricky games like Amidar is no problem at all.
Buttons are great, and the whole thing oozes quality, in a way I never expected to see on a GPH product.

I'd say get one.

i'd say wait a little bit more. there isn't much that utilizes the extra features yet like the gsensor, usb hosting, full analog controls. and the wiz current has a lot more apps, emulators, games, etc. and until they get ported to the caanoo you might miss them. but it is definitely worth the trade when all that happens!

I agree with blues2... it is potentially a better system due to the nicer design and extra features, but it's not at that stage yet; for now you might as well stick with the Wiz. The analogue stick is very good though, don't worry about it being a problem. The only time it bothers me is when I have to double-tap a direction button, like running in Golden Axe.. it's harder than doing it on a D-pad but still perfectly doable. Supposedly fighting games suffer as well, but I don't really play those.

I haven't played all the emulators, but the Megadrive/Genesis one is pretty much perfect, while the SNES and GBA ones are pretty good but both need a bit of work and the SNES one is slow with some games. The NES one is very basic at the moment, it's a bit on the slow side (but not too much) and has no menu!

I agree you should wait, the software on the wiz is more mature and if you can do without the control/screen upgrade I'd say sit pretty untill the software is there.

I jumped into the caanoo knowing the software aspect will take time, but that's from a not having a wiz perspective. Once all the emulators/games you care about are on the caanoo (and get good reviews of it working well) I'd say do the upgrade then.

I think it depends on your habits with open handhelds like this.

If you like to be an active part of the community, giving feedback and helping the platform to grow (especially if you're a developer), then you should definitely get one! The more interest there is in the community, the more attention and support we'll get from developers.

If you prefer to just use the finalized applications and games, rather than going through the alpha\beta testing process, you should wait a bit and just stick with the more mature software on the Wiz.

I didn't have an open handheld previously (just a DS Lite) so I bought a Caanoo, and I've been totally surprised at how much I'm enjoying participating in the maturation process of the platform. It's constantly changing and the changes tend be very noticeable because its so new. :)

I have to agree with ozzuneoj. My emulation enthusiasm has been rekindled by getting a Caanoo. It reminds me of the GP32 days - knowing you're on the cusp of something very special.

Having said that, if you don't like waiting for emulators you're better off sticking with what you've got!

Back