Wiz Support In Future?

varan77

Still Fresh
Hi to all!
I am just one click away from completing order for my wiz!
I am just worried by one thing...ist it true that future support for wiz is disbanded
because every develeoper working on pandora apps and emu now?

I know that you guys dont have a crystal ball ..but ..first Gp2X is out for some
time and software is still coming..and on the other hand ..WIZ is out for few motnhs and
we have only one version of GBA , PSX emu...

I love snes gba , mame C64 games so much... I owned PSP 2 years ago , mainly because
PSX games...now I am looking forward to WIZ because great SNES and GBA titles..
..but I dont wanna buy something that will be disbanded in 2 months..
so you vote and decide ! What is better :

DS LITE +GBA flash cart = small screen and native support of GBA games and SNES emulation ...
or...WIZ ! :D

Help me clear the dilema!

Support for any system no matter what it is will eventually diminish over time. I think a lot of developers are interested in the Pandora but that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to abandon the Wiz altogether.

I will tell you what I've been telling everyone on the fence about the Wiz, even if development for the Wiz came to complete halt today, with all the existing apps and emulators already available, I still think the system is well worth the money.

GBA and SNES emulation is both pretty solid on the Wiz. There is some slowdown in certain SNES games but you can overclock the emulator to attain full speed (except for games that require the FX chip, they still don't work well)

and I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you will get full speed SNES emulation on a DS.

and about MAME and C64... I don't use them, so I can't comment on those.

Plus, only in the last month or so a new front-end, new version of LemonBoy, Oh Boy - GBC emulator, and countless other project updates have been released.
So support may not come thick and fast as expected, but we do see some surprises here and there from time to time, which imho, is exciting, and keeps me coming back for more Wiz. :wiz: B)

EDIT: spelling errors

Looks like I might be getting a Wiz soon so you might see the alternative firmware Open2X adapted to it.

You will also see ports of all my old games. Someone just got TVout working, too.

VVelcome...........................to the dark side~

ord_vader_1024.jpg

I too had much of the same dilemma in my purchase decision. Sure the Pandora sounds awesome but there were a few factors that made me shy away from that and diving into the Wiz. The first being the price point for the Pandora. The second being availability timeframe. I wanted something right now because I'm impatient. Every emulator that I have tried so far I am more than pleased with. ScummVM is what really sealed the deal for me though. Having been a PC gamer and adventure game junky this was the final nudge I needed to get a Wiz. The Scumm emulator is just damn awesome.

Other than PC games I only ever had an NES growing up, so I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to play SNES/Genesis/NeoGeo etc stuff that I could only play at friends houses or the arcades.

The only disappointment to me so far is the PSX4All emulator. If Zottd has abandonned it, I really wish someone else would pick it up and run with it. It's preventing me from my dream of having all Castelvania side scrollers on one handheld. Well that and the lack of a DS emulator for the Wiz. But I'm only 5 Castelvanias away from my dream!

Anyway, hope you enjoy and if I can help ya in anyway let me know!
-Snow

Snowblindfrog said:
But I'm only 5 Castelvanias away from my dream!

What's the fifth one? Dracula X Chronicles? That really bad cell phone one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
Looks like I might be getting a Wiz soon so you might see the alternative firmware Open2X adapted to it.

You will also see ports of all my old games. Someone just got TVout working, too.
Open2X would be great. That means that we can then have a working version of Gmenu2X too with it I assume. That would be much better than the crap GPH menu. Plus fast boot times, sounds too good to be true I hope you follow through.

DaveC said:
Open2X would be great. That means that we can then have a working version of Gmenu2X too with it I assume. That would be much better than the crap GPH menu. Plus fast boot times, sounds too good to be true I hope you follow through.

Or you could replace the gp2xmenu binary with gmenu2x to fix it. Just a thought.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:

Or you could replace the gp2xmenu binary with gmenu2x to fix it. Just a thought.
Too dangerous for me, could be brick city..

varan77 said:
THNX GUY IT HAS BEEN DECIDED!!!!! FUTURE WIZ OWNER!!
Yeah for emus it is better. The DS only has a 256 x 192 screen. Most consoles and arcade systems were higher so you would be playing cropped off or scaled down screens on the DS.

DaveC said:
Too dangerous for me, could be brick city..

Just so we're clear: you're willing to replace the firmware outright with one that could have any unknown bugs, but are too afraid to replace the menu on the basis that it might not function enough to let you replace it back? What do you think will happen exactly? You'll replace it with something that's not gmenu2x? I mean, it's pretty easy to md5sum it first to make sure it's the real thing you're putting on there..

If by chance things do go bad, you can always reflash the firmware the usual way. Or if you have a serial connection you can get a console and do things that way. You were willing to update for the last official firmware updates that made changes that only GPH know of, you should be willing to take the lesser risk here.

Peter R said:
I'm looking forward to Open2x on the Wiz :) .

Me too. I think this could solve some of the Wiz biggest problems.
Go, Senor Quack! :)

It would be nice to have faster boot times, which imo is one of the most annoying things. How's about opengles support in an open2x environment. do you need to rewrite the driver for that?

Exophase said:
Snowblindfrog said:

PSX: Symphony of the Night
X68000: Akumajou Dracula later released on PSX as Castlevania Chronicles
DS: Dawn of Sorrow
DS: Portrait of Ruin
DS: Order of Ecclesia

Order of Shadows is the crappy cell phone one. :\

Oh, I see, Castlevania Chronicles is the fifth one. I think X68k emulation is not totally infeasible.

Snowblindfrog said:
Exophase said:
Snowblindfrog said:

PSX: Symphony of the Night
X68000: Akumajou Dracula later released on PSX as Castlevania Chronicles
DS: Dawn of Sorrow
DS: Portrait of Ruin
DS: Order of Ecclesia

Order of Shadows is the crappy cell phone one. :\

You are forgetting Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare which is pretty good and certainly won't be emulated anytime soon.

Don't forget the two PS2 games. Unless you're counting only 2d CV's. Just thought I'd add those for the hell of it. :)

Back