Wiz Screen Burn - Has Anyone Had This Also?

glossywhite said:
Noone knows EVERYTHING, not even you. As I have said (many times, it would seem) this is FAIL on behalf of GPH, without question. Is that not obvious enough for you?. So, in a nutshell, what you're implying is that all users who have the screen burn issue are incompetent, because of a drastic design flaw on behalf of GPH?. Rigggght :rolleyes:

I mean *HOW* hard is it for someone to put a basic screensaver in the device?. I mean, SERIOUSLY, this is a joke.

I know next to nothing, but I do like to take a swipe now and again. It is unfortunate that you had the screen burn issue, and if it happens to a lot of screens than this is a flaw with AMOLED implementation by GBH, since one of the specs of OLED screens is the tendency to resist screen burn. But those are paper specs, and OLED is a moving target right now.

It is curious that the screen blank setting is OFF by default, and if you are charging the unit the blanking works perfectly if it is turned on. They should change this in the next BIOS update if screen burn is a reproducible effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
glossywhite said:
Noone knows EVERYTHING, not even you. As I have said (many times, it would seem) this is FAIL on behalf of GPH, without question. Is that not obvious enough for you?. So, in a nutshell, what you're implying is that all users who have the screen burn issue are incompetent, because of a drastic design flaw on behalf of GPH?. Rigggght :rolleyes:

Yeah no one knows everything that is correct. But after in one sentence you claim to be an electrical engineer who has a passion to know every detail, then claim that no one knows everything as an excuse as to why you burned in the screen is just odd. It is like me saying I am a military expert who knows every detail of guns and how to use them, then I shoot myself in the foot while cleaning a loaded gun.

Yes GPH should make the screen saver default to "on" for those of us that are not experts.

I was wondering what you see when you run the Test Mode from the Settings menu? Do you see ghosted images on all of the color screens that you can cycle through? I wonder if you leave it on the pure white screen it would help the burned images, assuming you can see artifacts on that color screen. White is the highest power setting the screen can display.

I was wondering what you see when you run the Test Mode from the Settings menu? Do you see ghosted images on all of the color screens that you can cycle through? I wonder if you leave it on the pure white screen it would help the burned images, assuming you can see artifacts on that color screen. White is the highest power setting the screen can display.

I mentioned earlier that there is a java app named Jscreenfix that supposedly helps screens with a burned in image. It would most likely work in the GP2X java machine but that has not been ported and probably won't.

The app flashes the spectrum of colors or something.

Didn't firmware 1.0 have the default screen saver turned on?

Internet drama aside, I appreciate the heads up on this potential issue and have also set my screen off time accordingly as a precaution.

I think I remember reading about a Game Boy Advance app that does something similar to Jscreenfix.
I did a little poking around and found THIS but it's intended for LCD displays and won't necessarily do what's needed to fix the problem.

Can I say I got my Wiz, plugged it in to charge it up on the first day for just a few hours and now I have the charging screen burned into it. It's always been there - it bugs the hell out of me, I'm totally irritated and dissapointed. I would absolutely LOVE for someone to tell me exactly how to get rid of this if possible. At first I thought it was a circuit at the back of the screen showing through, but later when I saw the USB cable connection logo I realised what it was I was seeing. Is it possible to fix it? What about this idea of creating a negative image and "burning" that into it? I'd try anything to fix this as it spoils my enjoyment of an otherwise great device.

strider_mt2k said:
Internet drama aside, I appreciate the heads up on this potential issue and have also set my screen off time accordingly as a precaution.

I think I remember reading about a Game Boy Advance app that does something similar to Jscreenfix.
I did a little poking around and found THIS but it's intended for LCD displays and won't necessarily do what's needed to fix the problem.

I ran that in VisualBoy but not the Wiz and it looks just like the description of Jscreenfix but like you say may not fix this.
Good find though.

TitanUranus said:
Can I say I got my Wiz, plugged it in to charge it up on the first day for just a few hours and now I have the charging screen burned into it. It's always been there - it bugs the hell out of me, I'm totally irritated and dissapointed. I would absolutely LOVE for someone to tell me exactly how to get rid of this if possible. At first I thought it was a circuit at the back of the screen showing through, but later when I saw the USB cable connection logo I realised what it was I was seeing. Is it possible to fix it? What about this idea of creating a negative image and "burning" that into it? I'd try anything to fix this as it spoils my enjoyment of an otherwise great device.

Can you get in contact with the dealer you bought it from and inquire about an exchange?

I'd try that first before any software method.

Why is your Wiz menu blue?

I just noticed that my Wiz has burn in but it's only barely visible on the all blue test screen. With any other background color you can't see it at all.

Start emailing GPH, because these AMOLED screens should NOT be suffering from screen burn. There is a mention of a warranty for the OLED screen in the manual. Not screen burn specific, but it refers to a deterioration of the screen and has a lifetime window for returns.

OLED screen & Back light
• There is a lifetime in control panel and OLED back light
of WIZ. If OLED starts flickering or dims down, call
Consumer Services at +82- 80-085-8572.

gatekeeper said:
Why is your Wiz menu blue?

I just noticed that my Wiz has burn in but it's only barely visible on the all blue test screen. With any other background color you can't see it at all.
Blue emmiters wear faster so that makes sense. I think there should be some break-in screen used for the first hour or so to break the screen in like plasma displays have.

This sounds pretty bad. What could I do when I get mine to avoid this? Plug it in and then play movies for the first couple of days? Can you put movies on repeat?

axiomprime said:
This sounds pretty bad. What could I do when I get mine to avoid this? Plug it in and then play movies for the first couple of days? Can you put movies on repeat?

I wouldn't do that. Once you receive it, I would make sure it is turned off and charge it to full. Then I would turn it on and change the "screen off" settings to 60 secs then I would use it normally. Personally I don't like the idea of leaving my Wiz on unattended after I read about a few more people coming forward with this problem. I fell asleep the other night with the Wiz on and was worried that somehow the screen didn't turn off or it had been resting on my chest and didn't turn off.

My Wiz came last week with some screen burn in out of the box.
I've filed an RMA with ThinkGeek and they're more than happy to replace it for free. I guess the only down side is I have to live without my Wiz for a while :-(

I've ordered mine from a guy in China so if it's burned then I'm up the creek.

I have had mine since launch and as of today the screen is still fine. I tried all colors in test mode and I couldn't notice the slightest hint of any burn-in. It is possible to avoid it you just have to be a bit more careful than other LCd devices.

DaveC said:
I have had mine since launch and as of today the screen is still fine. I tried all colors in test mode and I couldn't notice the slightest hint of any burn-in. It is possible to avoid it you just have to be a bit more careful than other LCd devices.

That is, assuming all Wizzes are created equally :)

Same problem here. I received a screen burn-in without me leaving the console on for several hours. I now have a vaguely "USB Connected" message on my screen at all times. The screen also has a LOT of "screen rain" when the color white is displayed on the screen. Then the screen goes flickering and there are lots and lots of vertical lines on the screen that move randomly across the screen.

I already contacted EvilDragon about it, but he said I should contact some other company about it, who does all the warranty stuff. I've send an email to these people and asked them what we can do about it, as I personally think it's not really my fault and it shouldn't have happened.

I will let you all know what happens from here on.

As a side note to what I've read in this topic:
Not all Wiz users are techies, and something like a burn-in is totally not expected by a lot of people. Personally I know only a handful of people who know that something like a plasma television can have a burn-in effect. If OLED is susceptible to this kind of behavior, GPH should just scrap the screensaver "off" option in the settings menu. This way it can never happen again for anyone. Problem solved, everybody happy.

Still, I really don't know how my problem came into existence as I never leave the console on for several hours via USB. Not even for charging, because I always charge the device via the power supply.

EDIT:
This is what it looks like.

EDIT 2:
After sending my invoice to GamePark Holdings AS Center Europe, they told me I can send my unit in and will see what they can do. So now I'm packing the Wiz and making it ready for shipment. Hope they'll eventually fix it for me, or send me a new one.

@glossywhite

OK man, I think you made your point. The Wiz has flaws and so does GPH. But the point of this community, as I've understood so far, is to bring Wiz users/owners/devs together in peace so they can exchange useful information and make the most out of their handheld. So I think your post could have been more informative, losing the whole emotional tantrum thing.

Besides, if you really hate the Wiz so much, why did you spend endless hours unbricking it (after foolishly bricking it)? Right, I agree that GPH should have done this or that better, but being an electronics engineer, I think you just asked for getting your Wizes (there must be more than one, I'm sure) FUBARed... You should know better. So, spending hours on a Wiz, posting on a Wiz-themed forum, hmmmm, I think you have some issues coping with mixed feelings about this handheld..I think you're quite contradictory... If you hate it so much, I really hope you get paid to work with it.

PS: I think you have a lot to offer to this community and you already have. But I everybody would appreciate if you stopped acting like the AVGN and channel your negative emotions into something more productive.

GeorgyPorgy said:
@glossywhite

OK man, I think you made your point. The Wiz has flaws and so does GPH. But the point of this community, as I've understood so far, is to bring Wiz users/owners/devs together in peace so they can exchange useful information and make the most out of their handheld. So I think your post could have been more informative, losing the whole emotional tantrum thing.

Besides, if you really hate the Wiz so much, why did you spend endless hours unbricking it (after foolishly bricking it)? Right, I agree that GPH should have done this or that better, but being an electronics engineer, I think you just asked for getting your Wizes (there must be more than one, I'm sure) FUBARed... You should know better. So, spending hours on a Wiz, posting on a Wiz-themed forum, hmmmm, I think you have some issues coping with mixed feelings about this handheld..I think you're quite contradictory... If you hate it so much, I really hope you get paid to work with it.

PS: I think you have a lot to offer to this community and you already have. But I everybody would appreciate if you stopped acting like the AVGN and channel your negative emotions into something more productive.

I learned a lot from this topic, never leave my Wiz on for charging and so on. However, I tend to always turn of my Wiz for charging and when listening to MP3 I tend to always turn off the screen and place the Wiz in my pocket and walk in the street as if it is an MP3 player. My screen is always off when it is in use of listening to mp3 and on but playing movies so there is never a static image on the screen. Take good care of your toy baby ;)

foody said:
GeorgyPorgy said:
@glossywhite

I learned a lot from this topic, never leave my Wiz on for charging and so on. However, I tend to always turn of my Wiz for charging and when listening to MP3 I tend to always turn off the screen and place the Wiz in my pocket and walk in the street as if it is an MP3 player. My screen is always off when it is in use of listening to mp3 and on but playing movies so there is never a static image on the screen. Take good care of your toy baby ;)

Yes, already turned auto-screen-off on, and set it to 10 seconds! That's the way to go. I never leave static images on screens, whether it's a pocket calculator or a hi-definition TV. It's a big no-no. And when I really have to (like on my PC) I make sure there's a screen saver involved. It's called a saver for a pretty good reason, actually.

I'll take really good care of my Wiz and I plan to squeeze every single droplet of fun out of it until it dies on me. I really hope it dies of old age, though, and not of anything else!

I guess glossywhite's hot-headedness eventually raised a lot of attention!

Back