Wiz Screen Burn - Has Anyone Had This Also?

glossywhite said:
I know how OLED works very well, thankyou. I am a fully certified electronics engineer - it is my passion to know ever detail of these new technologies. Saying "clearly" doesn't mean it is fact.
Are you serious? First off, all your posts read like a troll. Secondly, it is your passion? Seriously? I learned when I was five that leaving any static image on a display screen on for an extended period of time would damage said screen. I guess it's about time you learned your lesson too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please look on the "Settings" for "Screen off Time" highest "60sec" and thats it!
So people before you get angry about something, study your products...
EDIT: Sorry this thread makes me crazy and i didnt saw that (iprice) postet this before.

Kasumi89 said:
Please look on the "Settings" for "Screen off Time" highest "60sec" and thats it!
So people before you get angry about something, study your products...
EDIT: Sorry this thread makes me crazy and i didnt saw that (iprice) postet this before.

Really?. You obviously haven't seen the rather obvious "Screen Off Time << OFF >>" setting, then!.

4146733923_b7bee84f61_o.jpg

That is a VERY stupid option!!,

Having thought about this, the only remedy I can think of, is to have a white image, fullscreen on the Wiz for > 6 hours - I think I'll try this now. The reasoning behind this remedy, is that it *should* allow all pixels to burn in equally.

[EDIT] Okay the flashlight app & a white JPEG don't work - the screen just flickers like crazy!. *sigh*

I see one "icon" or something in the middle of the screen. What icon is that? My wiz screen shuts off after inactivity... btw, why the blue? Don't you know that blue is the worst color for OLED screens?

Glossy; your attitude is not good, I understand you're upset but that's no reason to get offensive towards other people in this forum. A proper example would be if Ford put an engine in the car that was not supposed to be revved over 3000 rpm within the first 4000 miles and didn't know or tell you (as used to be the case with car engines). The screen is good, but we all should have been advised properly how to care for it.

Any way...
A white image will only burn the screen further making the already burnt areas more so and the un-burnt, burnt. Your best option is to display a negative of the image that was burnt in before for the same amount of time, that should even your screen out and eliminate the ghost effect. If you need help producing such an image; please let me know.

If you break your electronics yourself then it is your problem. Firstly, why did you leave the thing on while charging as that is just counter productive. Secondly, I've left the Wiz on the menu for extended periods of time and have suffered no permanent burn in myself so maybe you have some sort of defective screen.

I've got to agree that is pretty bad damage to the screen.

I'll see what GPHs opinion is as I could see many non-experienced users not realising they can't leave it on like that.

craigix said:
I've got to agree that is pretty bad damage to the screen.

I'll see what GPHs opinion is as I could see many non-experienced users not realising they can't leave it on like that.

Exactly - a sensible point of view. You cannot assume *everyone* who own one, will be a hardcore GP2X nerd; that is just wishful thinking.

Thanks Craig.

glossywhite said:
chickendung said:
I have no such issues. I agree with DaveC when he says you should not leave your screen on for a while when it is new, although I still have an old CRT TV. <_<

I would mention this in your review as a warning to those who are about to get a Wiz, not as a con for the device, however.

It is a definite con for a £130 device - how many people will *always* remember to turn it off overnight when it is charging?.
I'd remember. But it sounds like it's only really important when it's brand new. There should be a sticker on the screen that warns about this when you get it out of the box. I am so glad I rad this.

I'm not saying it isn't a real problem but why hasn't this happened to more people?

I still think glossywhite has some of the worse online tone and comes across as hostile right out of the gate.

Are your reviews written or video?

Have you used the device other then to charge it while it was on?

Perhaps send it back for a new one and continue on like anyone else would?

I see this as an unfortunate incident but hardly a problem that plagues the system like say XBOX 360s going belly up after half a year.

I still think your generalized assessment of Wiz owners as "fanboys" and the basic use of the word "fanboy" is insulting to everyones intelligence.

I'm not angry or anything, I'm just stating how you come across. Which is not all that good for someone who's opinion we are apparently supposed to care about.

Thanks

glossywhite said:
On the technical side - it *IS* GHP's responsibility to make sure their product doesn't have a constant image on the screen when not being used.
So you agree that it's a software issue, not a catastrophic backwards step in display technology?

Either way, you're too emotional to be reviewing anything imo.

Gruso said:
glossywhite said:
On the technical side - it *IS* GHP's responsibility to make sure their product doesn't have a constant image on the screen when not being used.
So you agree that it's a software issue, not a catastrophic backwards step in display technology?

Either way, you're too emotional to be reviewing anything imo.

Well, we are emotional beings, not robots.

glossywhite said:
Well, we are emotional beings, not robots.

It's okay and in some ways positive to be emotional. But if your reviews aren't objective and purely informative and factual they won't be very useful.

Unless you're The Angry Video Game Nerd. His reviews are funny.

glossywhite said:
I know how OLED works very well, thankyou. I am a fully certified electronics engineer - it is my passion to know ever detail of these new technologies. Saying "clearly" doesn't mean it is fact.

Hmm so let me get this straight. An electrical engineer who is certified and has a "passion to know ever detail" proceeded to put the Wiz on the charger, looked at the screen stuck on a static image then just shrugged his shoulders and walked off with the image burning into the screen.

Either:

You wanted to burn in the screen so you could come here and bitch about it (and didn't care since it wasn't yours) as you must have known this would happen knowing "ever detail" of the technology.

Or you really are a retard/troll who while may think he knows "every detail" forgot the one detail about how not to leave a static image on an unbroken-in OLED screen.

You know plasma TVs also warn you not to leave static images on new sets as they burn-in too. (Hint: if you buy a plasma TV don't pause your Xbox then walk away for several hours) Any device that emits light will have a tendency to burn-in it is just physics. Since devices of this type also lose most of their brightness in the first hours of use then level off (includes plasma and CRT) you are supposed to take extra care in the beginning not to do what you did. But being the expert you already knew that right?

Didn't glossy plug it in to charge and go to bed? I do that with handheld devices all the time, and I've never once had a burn-in issue (or ever thought about it for that matter). I just take for granted that either the screen of the device turns off after a while or goes to a screen saver.

Also, isn't 5 hours is a ludicrously short amount of time for an image to burn in? What if you have a 5 hour gaming session of street fighter, will the health bars burn in?

I think glossy deserves some thanks for posting this glaring (ha ha) problem on the forum, there must be a collective sigh of relief as people change their screen settings.

quartercast said:
Didn't glossy plug it in to charge and go to bed? I do that with handheld devices all the time, and I've never once had a burn-in issue (or ever thought about it for that matter). I just take for granted that either the screen of the device turns off after a while or goes to a screen saver.

Also, isn't 5 hours is a ludicrously short amount of time for an image to burn in? What if you have a 5 hour gaming session of street fighter, will the health bars burn in?

I think glossy deserves some thanks for posting this glaring (ha ha) problem on the forum, there must be a collective sigh of relief as people change their screen settings.

Thanks?. Are you joking?. These people don't want to thank others, they just want to laugh superiorly, at how I have burned the OLED screen, because they would never make such a mistake EVER, due to the fact that they aren't human, and hence are not prone to mistakes like me. ;)

@DaveC show me *where* in the Wiz manual that it tells the user not to leave the screen on... tell me where it warns of the OLED burn-in phase... I challenge you to do this... because you can't, and it doesn't. Suppose a 12 year old kid buys one - is he automatically supposed to know about OLED technology?. It is up to gamepark to REMOVE the setting that allows the screen to be on, constantly, because to be honest, it is yet ANOTHER GPH DESIGN FLAW. Assumption is the mother of, well, you know, and to "assume" that every owner is a display tech expert, is, frankly, laughable and naive of them.

Gph fail.

Wow! Thanks for pointing the burn in issue out Glossy. You might be able to reduce it over time, with more use?

BTW, It's not worth getting worked up over some of the less sympathetic responses here.

glossywhite said:

I know this poor sap announced his departure with great fanfare as if anyone would care to notice, but I just had to comment on this jackass post. I didn't realize that the bar was set so shockingly low to allow a complete idiot to pass certification to be an electronics engineer! Or did this degree come from Screenburn University?

What passion, to know "ever detail" of this new display technology and yet be so ignorant of the simplest, most rudimentary component of its design. Who would leave their OLED screen on for five hours straight and then have the capacity to blame others for their own incompetence? Only a terribly rude fool.

tedbell said:
glossywhite said:

I know this poor sap announced his departure with great fanfare as if anyone would care to notice, but I just had to comment on this jackass post. I didn't realize that the bar was set so shockingly low to allow a complete idiot to pass certification to be an electronics engineer! Or did this degree come from Screenburn University?

What passion, to know "ever detail" of this new display technology and yet be so ignorant of the simplest, most rudimentary component of its design. Who would leave their OLED screen on for five hours straight and then have the capacity to blame others for their own incompetence? Only a terribly rude fool.

Noone knows EVERYTHING, not even you. As I have said (many times, it would seem) this is FAIL on behalf of GPH, without question. Is that not obvious enough for you?. So, in a nutshell, what you're implying is that all users who have the screen burn issue are incompetent, because of a drastic design flaw on behalf of GPH?. Rigggght :rolleyes:

I mean *HOW* hard is it for someone to put a basic screensaver in the device?. I mean, SERIOUSLY, this is a joke.

Just so you guys know, even if you set the screen to power off after 60 seconds in the settings menu that only applies to when your not in an application. When in an application the app's settings overwrite the console's.

Back