Wiz Drench

DaveC - if you want to design some levels, I can implement them
smile.gif
I can create a level designer for you if you want, but you've got to create at least 10 levels (ie a full set of levels for most people).

As for multiple presses - is that really a big issue? The game doesn't require fast reflexes and there's no time limit - giving the choice of (fast) touchscreen or (pretty fast and not really at all-tedious) key selection already. However, I will add it as an option - I'll show the controls where the rainbow colour panel is. Any preferences to particular colours and D-PAD button placement?

You can't say that I don't pander to the people
biggrin.gif

drench04.PNG

Something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up to say that I've just uploaded Drench to the archives (Wiz and GP2X versions).

You might have to wait for the updates to be approved (why do updates need approval, but first editions don't???)

Anyway -

Wiz version HERE
GP2X version HERE

I've tested the game briefly on F200, but not on F100, although it should be the same, just without touchscreen.

This update includes -

* Extra control methods
* Softened blocks (with optional original "hard" blocks)
* Scoring
* High score table
* Level number before starting each level
* Exit game options
* In-game menu

This is a major revision of my original version, and has a reduced filesize to boot.

Have fun
smile.gif

Excellent update.
Sorry, but I've found a couple of bugs:

1. The score doesn't reset after exiting & restarting a game.
2. It says Level 1 at the start of each level.

Cheers, Neil :)

iprice said:
DaveC - if you want to design some levels, I can implement them
smile.gif
I can create a level designer for you if you want, but you've got to create at least 10 levels (ie a full set of levels for most people).

As for multiple presses - is that really a big issue? The game doesn't require fast reflexes and there's no time limit - giving the choice of (fast) touchscreen or (pretty fast and not really at all-tedious) key selection already. However, I will add it as an option - I'll show the controls where the rainbow colour panel is. Any preferences to particular colours and D-PAD button placement?

You can't say that I don't pander to the people
biggrin.gif
I could do some levels but it may not be done right away. Could the number of moves be set per custom board? 30 is allot and you can do almost any pattern easily with this. It would be more of a puzzle if you had to make each move count more.

While it isn't fast action selecting sequentially can be kind of a pain and be more like work as you do it allot, at least for me. I would make the pad images a bit bigger (easier to hit if using the TS) like below. You can use that if you wish as well (although you may need to re-adjust colors, converting the .PNG seemed to make colors lighter for some reason).

drench04.png

If I add a "Challenge Mode", you can make puzzles that need as many or as few moves as you want. This would be a very worthy addition to the original game, trouble is I've really not got the time to design puzzles for this game - I'm busy in a coding comp elsewhere. This was supposed to be a quick remake; which it was, before people wanted extras added. However, the additions have made the game much better(IMHO), so thanks to all those that gave suggestions, ideas and feedback.

I like the new D-Pad images (I didn't have any time yesterday morning to make the originals look better). I won't be using them for touchscreen though - the larger bars work so well, that I won't be changing them. The yellow font is nice too. :)

Sorry Neil L I missed your post completely. :(

I've just had a quick play and you are indeed correct, the score and level don't reset after exiting - easy to fix that one.

As for always stating Level 1, I had a couple of quick plays just now and it definitely stated the correct level number. Not sure what's going on there.

I have just found something else though which causes the game to exit completely and then not be playable again.
ohmy.gif
I think it might be something to do with saving the highscore. I've not seen this before, so I'll have to investigate that. :(

Expect another update tomorrow pm.

iprice said:
If I add a "Challenge Mode", you can make puzzles that need as many or as few moves as you want. This would be a very worthy addition to the original game, trouble is I've really not got the time to design puzzles for this game - I'm busy in a coding comp elsewhere. This was supposed to be a quick remake; which it was, before people wanted extras added. However, the additions have made the game much better(IMHO), so thanks to all those that gave suggestions, ideas and feedback.

I like the new D-Pad images (I didn't have any time yesterday morning to make the originals look better). I won't be using them for touchscreen though - the larger bars work so well, that I won't be changing them. The yellow font is nice too. :)
Hopefully you will still have a d-pad option. You can use these images too if you want that is fine. Yeah the yellow font is good for OLED screens, blue pixels (a component of white) use more power and don't last as long :p Ok I doubt it will matter much here.

A "challenge mode" would be cool. There is one thing that could be added that would allow for some more challenge. That would be unchangeable walls. With this you could block colors from joining and puzzles could really be designed to be challenging (corrals and dead ends) to the point where you need to think it out more. I included an example, while not a good puzzle it shows the concept. If this was added would there be a kind of level editor? If so then the community could do boards at any time. If not then i guess these boards would have to be made sooner. A level editor could be as simple as a bitmap with a grid where the maker could just fill in the colors in a paint program. This bitmap could be converted to the game graphics you have now. A txt file could be made with the name of the board and the number of moves needed. Just an idea you probably know something easier.

drench04.png

That's a pretty good idea (the solid walls). :)

I did state that I'd knock up a level editor for you (that'll only take a few minutes), however in all honesty and reality this is unlikely to be used by 99.9% of users. I created B'lox! and out of the several hundred downloads it had (in all formats), only one person actually created levels and sent them too me (Manjuu). Hence why I stated earlier that YOU could create 10 (or more) levels prior to the game being updated, as releasing levels and level packs for this game afterwards would probably a waste of time.

I really, really haven't got time to work much more on adding extras to this game; as I mentioned earlier, I'm working on something else for a coding competition. I'm happy to fix bugs, but I don't want to spend my limited time designing levels right now. If this was after Christmas, I'd be more willing, but the game is essentially done for now. Although... ;)

iprice said:
That's a pretty good idea (the solid walls). :)

I did state that I'd knock up a level editor for you (that'll only take a few minutes), however in all honesty and reality this is unlikely to be used by 99.9% of users. I created B'lox! and out of the several hundred downloads it had (in all formats), only one person actually created levels and sent them too me (Manjuu). Hence why I stated earlier that YOU could create 10 (or more) levels prior to the game being updated, as releasing levels and level packs for this game afterwards would probably a waste of time.

I really, really haven't got time to work much more on adding extras to this game; as I mentioned earlier, I'm working on something else for a coding competition. I'm happy to fix bugs, but I don't want to spend my limited time designing levels right now. If this was after Christmas, I'd be more willing, but the game is essentially done for now. Although... ;)
Ok so no d-pad play, solid walls etc. Actually the solid walls would give me allot of ideas for puzzles. In the example above for example at the top right you would have to make sure the color ended up orange or you would block yourself from ever finishing, you would have to re-do the level. There would be some "strategery" needed to finish. There is allot that can be done there.

When you get time to go back to it and add features let me know, I can do the puzzles at that time.

It HAS got direct D-PAD play (version 1.1 as in the archives anyway). You need to select it in the options though, as to me it's not intuitive or even as fast as touchscreen or even normal D-Pad control.

I'll do a level editor today and post it here for you (and anyone else) that wants to create some puzzles. :)

very nice game. if, on one of your updates, you could make the blue and purple more distinguishable from each other, that would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

The blue and purple colours are indeed very similar, especially on the Wiz - they're no so bad on a pc. The "soft" block options make them more a bit more obvious, but yes I will see what I can do.

BTW I've now had the original author's blessing with this game
biggrin.gif

Dude this is great! you've added some really nice flair to the basic flash game, good job!

I only just had a chance to play it as I've been so busy, can't believe how quick you knocked it up.

Thanks!

Wiz FTW!!

just installed and played it - very nice game, well made! my girlfriend also loves it - thanks :)

Cheers :)

I'm not quite done with it yet, but don't expect an update soon. My main pc is fecked (motherboard - fourth in two years) and my laptop has a really crappy virus that may mean I have to reformat it.

I've tested the GP2X version on my GP2X F100 MK2.

The game starts and, after 15 to 30 seconds, it exits and returns imediately to the GP2X menu.

It doesn't seem to exit on a keypress or certain movement basis, but after a certain time has passed.

Oh dear :(

I have an F100, but I haven't tested on that, as it worked fine on my F200. Offhand I can't think of anything other than touchscreen support that might make a difference. Once my computers are sorted I'll have a looksee.

Yesterday i just noticed a small bug... i'll try to explain how to reproduce it: play until you'd reach the highscores, then fail, then enter your name. you'll land at the startscreen again. after that, just start a new game and you'll start in the same level you failed before with the same score. so in short, it seems that start game doesn't reset the game state as a whole but only the board itself. :)

Back