Wiz Drench

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I've just uploaded a new game to the archive, based on the Flash game "Drench" as seen elsewhere on these forums (HERE)

http://dl.openhandhe...i?,0,0,0,25,247

drench01.PNG

drench02.PNG

The idea game is pretty simple - just fill the board with a single colour, by manipulating the other colours using the colour palette.

I have a couple of things I want to add/address, but it's fully playable and quite addictive.

Conclusive proof the Wiz development continues. Have fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're fast Iprice :) Thanks for the game, I tried it yesterday from that Cool Ideas thread, nice puzzle.

Any plans for a GP2X (no-touch) version?

I could do it for F200, but it just wouldn't be the same for F100 without the touchscreen. I'll have a play later.
smile.gif

[EDIT] Well that didn't take long - GP2X version - http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?,0,0,0,25,2807

F200 ONLY

Excellent job, could we have a score on the next release? (eg. If you complete a level in 26 moves out of 30, you get 4 points) and maybe a high score.
Also a level number shown would be nice, along with a way of exiting.
Cheers, Neil

I had planned to add a level counter, but never considered a scoring mechanism - that's a pretty good idea though. I'll add it to the next version. :)

Are these boards random or are they designed specifically to be a certain puzzle in a certain way?

Also the touchscreen is nice but in my opinion not really a must. It would be real simple to map a color to d-pad left, d-pad right, and AXBY (A picture of the pad and buttons on-screen with corresponding colors could be done easily).

DaveC said:
Also the touchscreen is nice but in my opinion not really a must. It would be real simple to map a color to d-pad left, d-pad right, and AXBY (A picture of the pad and buttons on-screen with corresponding colors could be done easily).

Either that or just use the d-pad and B to choose the colour. :)

My Most recent version (as yet unreleased) uses Alex's idea of D-PAD (UP and DOWN) and a button to select colour (or touchscreen).

Here's a recent image -

drench03.PNG

Here you can see each colour more clearly and they have some (limited) highlighting. This look will be optional, from the main game menu - unless people prefer it, in which case this will be the default mode.

The game also now fully supports GP2X F100 and F200.

I've still got to implement the high-score name entry (I'll probably just borrow my Balloonacy code and add touchscreen support), and the above mentioned menu.

Is there any room left for a level counter? (As mentioned previously)
I prefer the highlighted colours as the default and will we have a button for exiting?
Cheers, Neil

There's no room for a level counter as present. There will be an exit key - attached to the MENU or SELECT on Wiz (and the corresponding keys on GP2X).

Having played it properly on the Wiz and GP2X, the highlighted colours (as shown above) do actually look a lot better, so they will indeed by default now.

Thanks for your input and feedback :)

I've noticed something odd with the Wiz version. I've had multiple occurrences in which I have one more move to finish the game, and I only have one color out of place. When I use that last move, it should count as a win seeing as I used the last move to complete the drench, but it says game over. Any idea why this is happening?

Yeah, that's something my son pointed out. Basically I'm checking for no more moves before testing for a win situation, when it should be the other way around. It's easy to sort - just swap the tests around.

Expect an update tomorrow for all machines. :)

iprice said:
Yeah, that's something my son pointed out. Basically I'm checking for no more moves before testing for a win situation, when it should be the other way around. It's easy to sort - just swap the tests around.

Expect an update tomorrow for all machines. :)

Great to hear! Keep up the good work. :D

iprice said:
My Most recent version (as yet unreleased) uses Alex's idea of D-PAD (UP and DOWN) and a button to select colour (or touchscreen).

Here's a recent image -

drench03.PNG

Here you can see each colour more clearly and they have some (limited) highlighting. This look will be optional, from the main game menu - unless people prefer it, in which case this will be the default mode.

The game also now fully supports GP2X F100 and F200.

I've still got to implement the high-score name entry (I'll probably just borrow my Balloonacy code and add touchscreen support), and the above mentioned menu.
The reason I thought this sequential color selecting was a bad idea is that it is allot of tapping to get to what you want. If a color is all of the way on the opposite end then it is tap, tap, tap, to get there and possibly having to go through one by one again tap, tap, tap for the next move. It a button could be assigned to a specific color then you could get there in one press. It takes out some of the tedium of the sequential selection type.

Maybe specific levels could be made as well as the random pixels? With that some cool cascade type boards could be designed.

Back