Wiz Battery Dimentions

LTStone

Hi guys, I have a battery replacement solution for the Wiz and was wondering if anyone can tell me the Wiz's battery dimentions in both inches and milimeters..

Thanks.

I got out my ruler... Looks like the main part of the battery measures 75mm x 44mm (2-7/16" x 1-3/4"). The 'tab' sticks out by about 7mm (9/23"), for a total length of 82mm (3-7/32"). The battery is 6mm (1/4") thick on the main part, and 4mm (1/8") thick on the 'tab'.

Ooh, do tell. :eek: The lack of availability of spare parts, especially batteries, for these handhelds is a huge problem for any kind of longevity. I do remember a forum member a while back was able to get them specially made at a Batteries Plus store but not every location does that as far as I know.

Well it looks like a 3DS battery would work great, its 2000mah and has smaller dimensions:
Wiz: 75mm x 44mm x 6mm (thank you jmetal88)
DS : 53mm x 36mm x 6mm

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/replacement-rechargeable-3-7v-2000mah-lithium-battery-pack-with-screwdriver-for-nintendo-3ds-65064

I hooked up my 1500mah Dingoo battery to my Wiz and it worked fine, booted right up and I even played megaman x5. Its too long though and I just tried it to test my theory..

If we can find a higher mah 3.7v battery with the right dimensions that would be better yet, Imagine the wiz lasting over 10 hours with a 2400mha battery !

LTStone said:
Well it looks like a 3DS battery would work great, its 2000mah and has smaller dimensions:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/replacement-rechargeable-3-7v-2000mah-lithium-battery-pack-with-screwdriver-for-nintendo-3ds-65064

I hooked up my 1500mah Dingoo battery to my Wiz and it worked fine, booted right up and I even played megaman x5. Its too long though and I just tried it to test my theory..

If we can find a higher mah 3.7v battery with the right dimensions that would be better yet, Imagine the wiz lasting over 10 hours with a 2400mha battery !

This was something I knew was going to happen and it's why I never bought one. Lithium batteries go bad in storage, whereas nicads can stay good for 10 years or more in storage. I knew that once the batteries were no longer manufactured, it would no longer be viable to use it as a portable. There are 2 ways you can solve this. 1 build a custom battery to the exact size specs and use 3 standard NIMH cells that can be recharged in another device, or you can make a portable battery with either a USB female connection (as in the one on your computer) or one that has a cord that comes out and matches the Wiz's voltage (you can always use a regulator if the voltage is slightly high). My GP32 and GP2X are still perfectly usable as portable machines because the batteries are standard and available everywhere.

The Pandora is going to have the same problem, as will the caanoo and the dingoo.

I personally would go with a custom made battery built to the exact size as the real battery, maybe made out of wood with AAA or AA cells, depending on the size.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
LTStone said:

http://www.dealextre...tendo-3ds-65064

This was something I knew was going to happen and it's why I never bought one. Lithium batteries go bad in storage, whereas nicads can stay good for 10 years or more in storage. I knew that once the batteries were no longer manufactured, it would no longer be viable to use it as a portable. There are 2 ways you can solve this. 1 build a custom battery to the exact size specs and use 3 standard NIMH cells that can be recharged in another device, or you can make a portable battery with either a USB female connection (as in the one on your computer) or one that has a cord that comes out and matches the Wiz's voltage (you can always use a regulator if the voltage is slightly high). My GP32 and GP2X are still perfectly usable as portable machines because the batteries are standard and available everywhere.

The Pandora is going to have the same problem, as will the caanoo and the dingoo.

I personally would go with a custom made battery built to the exact size as the real battery, maybe made out of wood with AAA or AA cells, depending on the size.

Chris

There is no way you could fit standard AAAs in the Wiz's battery compartment. It's way too small.

would it be possible to replace it with a standard 3.7v li-on battery? I'm actually wondering this as I have thought about getting a larger capacity battery for a mini arcade cabinet I am building using the Wiz for the internals

Sartrefan said:
would it be possible to replace it with a standard 3.7v li-on battery? I'm actually wondering this as I have thought about getting a larger capacity battery for a mini arcade cabinet I am building using the Wiz for the internals

Yes, that's what LTStone did.

Did he attempt to charge the battery through the system? This is my biggest concern as I have read li-ion batteries can have a tendency to explode if not charged properly. jmetal88, I'm down in Tulsa, not too far from Bville

I soldered in the 3DS battery which was actually only 850mha. I used it for about a month, and everything worked fine, it charged ok, red led turned blue like normal,nothing got warm or hot, only problem was that it did not last as long on per charge. I ordered a bigger battery from Deal Extreme but it hasn't arrived yet.

Disclaimer: If you feel unsafe about this don't do it, But From my experience as long as the battery has the " + t - " terminals and is 3.7V and connected correctly I don't see how anything could happen.

LTStone said:
I soldered in the 3DS battery which was actually only 850mha. I used it for about a month, and everything worked fine, it charged ok, red led turned blue like normal,nothing got warm or hot, only problem was that it did not last as long on per charge. I ordered a bigger battery from Deal Extreme but it hasn't arrived yet.

Disclaimer: If you feel unsafe about this don't do it, But From my experience as long as the battery has the " + t - " terminals and is 3.7V and connected correctly I don't see how anything could happen.
Some lithium batteries come with protection circuitry in the battery, some do not. IF you do not have a protected battery, it is not safe. The protection when not in the battery is usually in the device itself. Lithium batteries are known to catch fire when over charged. It is always best to err on the side of caution with these matters.

I read on another forum that someone tracked down the asian company that still has batteries for the Wiz.

Has anyone else heard of this ?

Thanks,

andy

andy838 said:
I read on another forum that someone tracked down the asian company that still has batteries for the Wiz.

Has anyone else heard of this ?

Thanks,

andy
If they are as old as the wiz, don't bother. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, lithium batteries go bad with age regardless of use. If you open the battery of the wiz it might just have standard cells in it, if it does, you're in luck, otherwise I would suggest making a custom battery. You might be able to build an exact copy of the battery in wood, hollow it out and put a standard cell (that you have a means of charging) inside of it. If you did this, you would have to make it so you could remove the cell to recharge it. If you can find a cell that fits into it that has built in protection (many lithium cells have built in protection circuits, you might be able to charge it with the wiz itself.

Chris

any new ideas on this? i've just got a Wiz that didn't come with the USB charger. i tried using the one that came with the Caanoo but no luck. the Wiz itself is old but never used and it will not turn on. i suspect it's the battery gone completely dead so if there are any good mod ideas to fit a compatible battery that would be great.

Back