Burn In

LTStone

Well I must have forgot to turn off my Wiz the other day, I noticed the battery is so dead it will not recharge and there is some super faint lines where the life/power bars would be from street fighter alpha 3. so just a warning, it is possible to get burn in on the Wiz's oled.

I have an app for my G-Nex that supposedly rids burn-in by using colored static or scrolling black and white bars. Is there any way this can be replicated on the Wiz screen? I'm guessing someone would have to write a program specifically for this.

Orion4874 said:
I have an app for my G-Nex that supposedly rids burn-in by using colored static or scrolling black and white bars. Is there any way this can be replicated on the Wiz screen? I'm guessing someone would have to write a program specifically for this.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to do on the Wiz. Heck, I could probably do it if I felt like taking the time to sit down and figure it out. Well, at least I could do the static part, just randomly pick a number 1 to 3, plot a pixel in red, green, or blue based on the number, randomly pick another number, plot the next pixel, and so on. The scrolling bars would require some research on my part because I'm not all that familiar with scrolling graphics routines (I mean, I've done a couple before, but since I didn't really know what I was doing, I don't remember what I did, haha). I would have to re-familiarize myself with the Wiz toolchain and SDK, though. I think the last thing I did was re-compile OpenJazz? That already had the makefile set up and everything, though. Last original graphics programming I did was on the GP32 (and the only thing I released was The Winking Man Game, which isn't so much a game, but a bad drawing of a mustached man whose eye twitches when you press a button, haha).

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a great thing to have for us Wiz users. I know there's been a few threads started over the years about this happening to users. If you can pull it off that would be awsome even just as an insurance policy in case it does happen at some point to people.

Alright, I got a program doing what was described working, but I don't think I'll release it, as watching all those colors flash makes my head feel funny. :blink:

Hopefully that video helps you out!

I think you should release it and let the users decide to use it or not. You should probably include a warning screen or readme stating that the program is used at their own risk and that you claim no responsibility for misuse or general dumbassery!

I think I'll refine it a little more. I have it doing a full 16-bit range of colors now instead of just RGB, and that's a little better, but the refresh rate is a bit slow for my taste. Calculating and plotting 76,800 random-colored pixels every frame takes some time, apparently, haha. My instinct is to just make the points being plotted bigger, but I don't know if that's something I'd stick with or not.

Calculating and plotting 76,800 random-colored pixels every frame takes some time, apparently, haha. My instinct is to just make the points being plotted bigger, but I don't know if that's something I'd stick with or not.
You don't have to plot random coloured pixels - you can just fill the whole screen with a random colour every frame to do the same job.

iprice said:
Calculating and plotting 76,800 random-colored pixels every frame takes some time, apparently, haha. My instinct is to just make the points being plotted bigger, but I don't know if that's something I'd stick with or not.
You don't have to plot random coloured pixels - you can just fill the whole screen with a random colour every frame to do the same job.

True, but I've used programs like that on my computer before and didn't really like how they came out looking. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I guess my web host's server is down, as I can't get my page to load, and trying to log in to my hosting account keeps timing out. I'll just have to zip it and attach it here.

Anyway, I'm reasonably satisfied with this one that uses 4x4 pixels. It'll just display static from the moment you load it until you press Menu. For some reason, having it display the full range of colors rather than just RGB cancels out whatever the problem was that made my head feel weird, but still, view at your own risk.

Here's an alternate version that uses more "solid" colors. That is, each pixel element (red, green, or blue) is fully on or fully off, giving you eight possible colors (red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, magenta, black, white).

Back