Release [WIP] Master Control - Testers needed

I don't know how [{>~ for example are named correctly.

If you can point out some link where all signs are named it'd be good for me.

Also to make it look nicer and editing more easy, is it possible to start a new line in the config file for each button bind?

It would make things much more easy for me.

Will you fix the Fn keys?

The Fn keys are on my German keyboard not where the US counterpart is.
There is a bug in the config file parser, which merges the two config files and removes new line tags. I gonna fix that.

The problem with the Fn keys is, that they are language dependent. But I will try my best.

I'm not able to see my pandora on my (Ubuntu) laptop as a HID device, only as a computer. I also get occasional segfaults. So unfortunately I haven't been able yet to make this work, but I very much like what is being attempted here. It would be very useful for me to use my laptop as a remote control for my laptop when I'm watching a movie on my beamer (now I need to get up to get to my laptop in order to do things like pause the movie).

Is there a specific reason why you're releasing this as "Freeware" and not as "Free software"?  (e.g. under the GPL or any other Free software license). I'm not trying to push you to free this up, but it would be nice if this would be Free (as opposed to just gratis), because I imagine it is very much something others may want to extend and build further on.
I also get occasional segfaults. The debugger points me to the QtGui lib, so I'm still not sure whats the problem.

No special reason for "Freeware". Just had to add some license. I will put it under some kind of GPL by time, anyway.

Same here for me: tested with with Fedora 17 and Android 4.1.1, but neither recognised the Pandora as anything other than a computer.
You started pairing from Fedora/Android and MC was running? Could you please check if hidd is running on your Pandora? (ps aux | grep hidd)

Tried again the bluetooth on windows 7 and nothing...

Just a question, I noted that in the full interface the Bluetooth button is always off when I open it, and I press it after the connection is already active... is this the correct way ? or I have to push it in some other particular moment ?
The BT button button is always disabled on startup. But MC will still accept connection requests. You have to activate the button, to forward input to BT.

So, you are connected? And it still does not work?

I tried two games on OpenSuse Linux, via USB :

SHank and Cave Story. For both, the action buttons are not recognized. There should be a problem somewhere, and I can't map them.

Keyboard, Nubs, and d-Pad works fine.
By actions buttons you mean A, B, X, Y? 

Last edited by a moderator:
By actions buttons you mean A, B, X, Y?
Yes, and shoulder buttons too. None of them can be mapped.
That's strange. The default keymap contains bindings for the gamepad

# HID_Gamepad

("OUT.Gamepad.Start", "IN.Gamepad.Start"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Select", "IN.Gamepad.Select"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Mode", "IN.Gamepad.Pandora"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Buttons.A", "IN.Gamepad.Buttons.A"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Buttons.B", "IN.Gamepad.Buttons.B"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Buttons.X", "IN.Gamepad.Buttons.X"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Buttons.Y", "IN.Gamepad.Buttons.Y"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Buttons.LeftShoulder", "IN.Gamepad.Buttons.LeftShoulder"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Buttons.RightShoulder", "IN.Gamepad.Buttons.RightShoulder"),

("OUT.Gamepad.DigiPad.Left", "IN.Gamepad.DigiPad.Left"),

("OUT.Gamepad.DigiPad.Right", "IN.Gamepad.DigiPad.Right"),

("OUT.Gamepad.DigiPad.Up", "IN.Gamepad.DigiPad.Up"),

("OUT.Gamepad.DigiPad.Down", "IN.Gamepad.DigiPad.Down"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Left.Left", "IN.LeftNub.Joystick.Left"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Left.Right", "IN.LeftNub.Joystick.Right"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Left.Up", "IN.LeftNub.Joystick.Up"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Left.Down", "IN.LeftNub.Joystick.Down"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Right.Left", "IN.RightNub.Joystick.Left"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Right.Right", "IN.RightNub.Joystick.Right"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Right.Up", "IN.RightNub.Joystick.Up"),

("OUT.Gamepad.Joysticks.Right.Down", "IN.RightNub.Joystick.Down"),

Can you test with "jstest" (package "input-utils" for OpenSuse), please?

Just a question, I noted that in the full interface the Bluetooth button is always off when I open it, and I press it after the connection is already active... is this the correct way ? or I have to push it in some other particular moment ?
 The BT button button is always disabled on startup. But MC will still accept connection requests. You have to activate the button, to forward input to BT.

I activate BT, launch MasterControl (with mini interface), from Windows I connect to the HID service (and the icon becomes green), then I open the fullscreen interface and click on bluetooth button... but nothing happens on windows...

I activate BT, launch MasterControl (with mini interface), from Windows I connect to the HID service (and the icon becomes green), then I open the fullscreen interface and click on bluetooth button... but nothing happens on windows...
Hmm, when the button is green, Windows has successfully detected the HIDs and connected. So far so good. But it does not react on input? No keyboard, no mouse, no gamepad?

Maybe there is a problem with the input. Please post the first few lines from the logfile (/media/<sdcard>/pandora/appdata/mastercontrol/mastercontrol.log)

Code:
Found input device on '/dev/input/event0' (keypad)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event1' (power-button)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event2' (nub0)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event3' (nub1)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event4' (gpio-keys)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event5' (touchscreen)
SDP: Services registered!
Bluetooth: Server started!
Bluetooth: Listening for connections...
USB: Server started. Waiting for connections...
Grabbing Mouse: Ok!
Grabbing keyboard: Ok!
Bluetooth: Not longer listening...
Bluetooth: Server stopped!
SDP: Services unregistered!

I need some tests to be done with Android. Unfortunately I don't have access to Android devices with newer versions than Gingerbread (which seems not to have BT HID support built in)
Still no luck on my side with Android 4:

Pandora and my Phone can connect fine, but the Pandora is only recognized as a computer (I could send a file to my phone from my Pandora), but not as a HID device (hidd was running during my test)

I have the same problems as Ekianjo.

I tried Shnak 2 and didn't get any of the sction buttons to work.

Using Arch Linux.

(I can't do further tests as I'm out for Gamescom now)

Found input device on '/dev/input/event0' (keypad)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event1' (power-button)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event2' (nub0)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event3' (nub1)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event4' (gpio-keys)
Found input device on '/dev/input/event5' (touchscreen)
SDP: Services registered!
Bluetooth: Server started!
Bluetooth: Listening for connections...
USB: Server started. Waiting for connections...
Grabbing Mouse: Ok!
Grabbing keyboard: Ok!
Bluetooth: Not longer listening...
Bluetooth: Server stopped!
SDP: Services unregistered!
Looks ok. Let's check the connection. While connected please open a terminal on the Pandora and enter "hcitool con"

I need some tests to be done with Android. Unfortunately I don't have access to Android devices with newer versions than Gingerbread (which seems not to have BT HID support built in)
Still no luck on my side with Android 4:

Pandora and my Phone can connect fine, but the Pandora is only recognized as a computer (I could send a file to my phone from my Pandora), but not as a HID device (hidd was running during my test)
Please try this: Open "/etc/bluetooth/main.conf" and change "Class = 0x000100" to "Class = 0x000540". This should make your Pandora to be discovered as a keyboard instead as a computer. Also make sure that "DisablePlugins" includes "input"

You will need to restart "bluetoothd" afterwards.

Maybe that helps.

I have the same problems as Ekianjo.

I tried Shnak 2 and didn't get any of the sction buttons to work.

Using Arch Linux.

(I can't do further tests as I'm out for Gamescom now)
Have fun! :)

with hcitool

Connections:

> ACL XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX handle 1 state 1 lm MASTER

it doesn't ask me... I also have deleted the devices from the list from both the pc and the pandora, but when Windows connects I only have a request on the pandora if i want to permit the connection...

EDIT: tried again removing the devices, pairing them again from windows (with pin request), starting the HID connection... and same old story

EDIT: anyway from windows I can see the HID service even without pairing, and I can start it without PIN request

EDIT: and just to precise, it was me that substituted the mac address with XX, hcitool was showing the right one

If you didn't use a pin, then there is (of course) no authentication. So, that's ok.

If you had used a pin, you should have seen something like

Connections:
> ACL XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX handle 1 state 1 lm MASTER AUTH ENCRYPT

So, that's also not the problem.

I must admit, I'm a bit clueless right now. It should really work at this point.

Anyone else here, who can try on Win7?

In the Windows status window, I see 0 bytes sent/received but connection established with the signal strenght high... but if I disconnect from the Pandora (even disabling the whole bluetooth), Windows still show to be connected o_O

I've added a download (hcidump) to the #1 post. The tool monitors Bluetooth events and may help us to find the problem. It will produce a lot of output, so please use spoiler tags when posting here :)

Trying to connect to a PC with mageia 3 (using the kde bluetooth assistant) and I'm missing something because I can't make it work. Here is what I do.

-Enable bluetooth on pandora and make ir discoverable.

-Run MC and click in the bluetoth button.

-Search BT devices from computer

And this is what I get:

It detects the pandora.

I assign the pin for the connection.

A pop up dialog appears on the pandora with the options action (does nothing) and enter pin. I introduce the login.

On the computer a dialog appears tellingme to connect to to the PANU server or the input device. I choose the second option.

Another pop up appears on the pandora with the options action (again useless) and check autorization.

Once I click on check autorization it asks to grant or reject connection (computer name here is correct). I grant connection.

On the computer says that connection is successful but nothing happened. The pandora controls just register on the pandora.

Another issue is that the documentation (from the menu) opens nothing didn't know if you knew it.

I'm doing something wrong? Any log that can be useful to you?

By the way crionic great work, thanks for the effort. Once a bit polished this may become very useful.

Crionic, on 19 Aug 2013 - 11:38 AM, said: Can you test with "jstest" (package "input-utils" for OpenSuse), please? Ok I will check it out, will come back to you later.
I checked and it works. All buttons are recognized, but not the nubs (probably because they are associated to the mouse?).

Then if the buttons press are recognized, maybe it's an issue with them being assigned to the wrong event? Can you look into that?

For example, could you mimic the events generated by the PS3 controller, since that one works perfectly in games?

Trying to connect to a PC with mageia 3 (using the kde bluetooth assistant) and I'm missing something because I can't make it work. Here is what I do.

-Enable bluetooth on pandora and make ir discoverable.

-Run MC and click in the bluetoth button.

-Search BT devices from computer

And this is what I get:

It detects the pandora.

I assign the pin for the connection.

A pop up dialog appears on the pandora with the options action (does nothing) and enter pin. I introduce the login.

On the computer a dialog appears tellingme to connect to to the PANU server or the input device. I choose the second option.

Another pop up appears on the pandora with the options action (again useless) and check autorization.

Once I click on check autorization it asks to grant or reject connection (computer name here is correct). I grant connection.

On the computer says that connection is successful but nothing happened. The pandora controls just register on the pandora.

Another issue is that the documentation (from the menu) opens nothing didn't know if you knew it.

I'm doing something wrong? Any log that can be useful to you?

By the way crionic great work, thanks for the effort. Once a bit polished this may become very useful.
It sounds right, what you are doing. Is the Bluetooth button in MC turning green?

You could run "hcidump" (attached to #1 post) to monitor the pairing process and post the result here. This will give information, if the connection is working properly.

Crionic, on 19 Aug 2013 - 11:38 AM, said: Can you test with "jstest" (package "input-utils" for OpenSuse), please? Ok I will check it out, will come back to you later.
I checked and it works. All buttons are recognized, but not the nubs (probably because they are associated to the mouse?).

Then if the buttons press are recognized, maybe it's an issue with them being assigned to the wrong event? Can you look into that?

For example, could you mimic the events generated by the PS3 controller, since that one works perfectly in games?
Thank you for checking! Do the games react to absolutely no button presses? Then it's more likely they don't open the js-device (maybe not configured to use a standard joystick/gamepad?).

I don't know if a PS3 controller creates a special device or a standard js-device. I will try to find out.

Back