Wine On Arm?

1magus

I was wondering if simple programs like this could work on the Pandora or how does Wine work exactly?
Mana Link it is a very basic Magic the Gathering game with basic graphics.

Wine does not emulate, it executes the code natively and simply provides Unix/X compatible implementations of Windows' APIs. It needs to be paired with an emulator, which will not leave you much room for even simple tasks.

This is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about. We should pin the programs that run on the Pandora at the top of the forums in the general section. A simple list which would eliminate the need for this question. I know we have a wiki, a search box and an app store. But for the people who do not know about these things it would be really easy to see the list right before they post their question. People come to to forums to ask their questions when they feel like they have no other options.

No offense to the original poster, I just want to help the people who don't know that most of these simple questions have already been asked. I too have asked about wine on the Pandora, no worries.

Edit: I just realized that I posted my comments about a program list on the other forums... Maybe this list should be on both forums? I go back and forth to much...

Edit2: I was going to post a link to my other comment, but the other forums and the website seem to be down ATM.

Edit3: Link

chame said:
seems Windows itself is being ported to ARM ...
Which, even IF it would run on the Pandora, still wouldn't allow you to run any of your x86 windows applications for exactly the same reason as why wine on the Pandora would still need an emulator.

The Pandora can NOT run x86 (i.e. your typical intel/amd desktop machine) binaries without emulating the processor.
Such emulation is costly and effectively you will run the equivalent of a 386/low-end 486.

Last edited by a moderator:
[standard Pleng response]
IF it would run on Pandora, you can be sure M$ will be porting Office across. All applications written in the visual range of languages will also run, as if they are porting the OS, they will also be porting the .NET framework. So for applications, there will be a good range of software that will work. Games, not so much.
[/standard]

Yes, I suppose that would be true. Also, I expect more developers would actually take the effort to recompile/port software for ARM.

If Windows 8 runs on ARM, won't it just be like Windows Phone 7 or even WindowsCE before it? As in, developers would be as likely to port software to it as they are now for the various available Windows mobile OS's, right?

Not at all. Windows Mobile are fundamentally different software architectues. Porting software is very rarely a case of simply recompiling it.

Compiling an application for Windows 8 ARM will be as simple as setting a complier option in the majority of cases.

In much the same way that most Linux applications currently running on the Pandora are nothing more than a recompile of the same applications running on desktops.

Back