Release Windows CE on Pandora?

polkunus said:
Even though if it was illegal will CE be released? I mean this system is targeted in emulation which is based in the legal gray area, I don't see why CE can't be on the pandora. :p

I'm sick of this BS; every day I have to post to 20 people --

Emualtion never once ever has been illegal. Ever. Where do peopel get this asinine idea?

Emulation is a dev tool, been around for decades. And if you have a clue about how it works, you'd know that JAva (VMs) are emulators, as are dozens of things you use every day.

Distributing ROMS without licensing is illegal (and many ROMS can be distributed no problem, though most are not like this.)

Jeeps :/

jeff

fischju said:
That isn't legal in the US as they have encryption which must be bypassed to backup the disk, violating the DMCA

And for people who like to refer to the DMCA, go read it. Second, it only applies to USians .. you might consider who the target audience of the pandora is, and where it is made ;)

But for those who do look up the DMCA, you might notice the clauses about circumvention allowances .. you can decrypt all you want if certain criterion are met.

*Sigh*

People love to give away their rights, with no idea..

jeff

kin said:
I hope people at least try ubuntu before going CE or something.

Your post implies, that you think, people may not come back to linux after they tried ce, that sounds like you think that linux is inferior to CE.
I'm sorry if it wasn't your intention to say that, it just sounds like that.

I've actively used CE for a long time and recently began to use linux(Maemo that is). I've watched several projects trying to bring linux to Pocket PCs, but none of them was really an alternative to CE. The time has changed by now, and linux on handhelds is way better in its functionality and variability than CE ever was or will be, because of its steadily growing community of developers and users. Nobody who has ever seen linux in action would go back to CE(thinking about crappy Mobile IE for example).

The point of having CE on Pandora would solely be to get those programs and games to run that you wouldn't get otherwise. Peoply like me, who spent so much time playing legacy and the quest for example, would just like to have them on Pandora, too.

gerd said:
kin said:

Your post implies, that you think, people may not come back to linux after they tried ce, that sounds like you think that linux is inferior to CE.
actually, know, it doesn't. he said he hoped they would try it before CE. maybe if they try CE, they see that it does what they need to a bare minimum, and stay with it, when ubuntu could go over and beyond.
this is coming from an ubuntu hater... but i still understand what he was aying

PoisonedV said:
gerd said:
kin said:

actually, know, it doesn't. he said he hoped they would try it before CE. maybe if they try CE, they see that it does what they need to a bare minimum, and stay with it, when ubuntu could go over and beyond.
this is coming from an ubuntu hater... but i still understand what he was aying

I see, my fault :)

But honestly, people buy a Pandora and then castrate its functions with CE, I don't think so.

fishbong said:
Apparently Firefly ported or hacked a version to make it run on the gp32, but obviously he couldn't make it public, since it's intellectual property of Microsoft.
Microsoft: retarding innovation since 1985.

"We own all your ideas. Your intellect is our property".

skeezix said:
polkunus said:
Even though if it was illegal will CE be released? I mean this system is targeted in emulation which is based in the legal gray area, I don't see why CE can't be on the pandora. :p

I'm sick of this BS; every day I have to post to 20 people --

Emualtion never once ever has been illegal. Ever. Where do peopel get this asinine idea?

Emulation is a dev tool, been around for decades. And if you have a clue about how it works, you'd know that JAva (VMs) are emulators, as are dozens of things you use every day.

Distributing ROMS without licensing is illegal (and many ROMS can be distributed no problem, though most are not like this.)

Jeeps :/

jeff

certain games for example(usually nintendo loves to do this): are completely illegal IN THE US... for example: mario and star fox. Has to do with the names i guess.
btw:
Why is everyone here against M$? They are a capitalist company, they want money and like to strive toward a better future. It is like if most of the people here a disgusted in people who use windows. What, you expect everyone to use debian and ubuntu? you expect everything to be open source? no that is impossible. Bussiness men/women would pay $$$ in something that just works and has support in it:)P).

"it's illegal" - I really don't give two fucks. honestly :p

fischju said:
Many very good GPS apps run on CE (that would also have to illegally download, this was designed for it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8545 ) and if a USB GPS reciever would work with CE + maps on the Pandora, it would be a good enough reason to dual boot it.

There is also GPS software bundled with hybrid devices(Pocket PC with integrated GPS) or sold separately which could be used. Currently I'm using my Axim for navigation. I bought a wired GPS mouse and use the Software from a friend of mine who bought such a hybrid device. You can buy the software online, no need to optain illegally. My wired GPS is connected via rs232 to the Axim and the software communicates directly through com1, so there is no driver hassle to expect. A port of CE with drivers for the serial port, touch screen and video/audio would be enough. DSP, SGX and the like wouldn't be needed, just the bare minimum of functions.

Back