Release Windows CE on Pandora?

Still Fresh
I read that is supports ARM arhitecture.
So, is it possible to install it?

Its not free... there were a bazillion or so threads asking this in the old forum they all generally said no there really isn't a point anyway.... there are open source alternatives to most anything windows mobile has

sorry

It may actually be possible with significant hacking. It was done with the GP2X. But unless you plan on doing the hacking yourself, don't expect to see it released. (It violates some licenses or something making it illegal to be released)

There was also some talk about making wine run windows CE apps, which would not be illegal. It'd be a lot of work, though

No ist wasn't.
Apparently Firefly ported or hacked a version to make it run on the gp32, but obviously he couldn't make it public, since it's intellectual property of Microsoft.

The only way Windows CE/Mobile would ever become available for Pandora would be if Microsoft sold it.

Even though if it was illegal will CE be released? I mean this system is targeted in emulation which is based in the legal gray area, I don't see why CE can't be on the pandora. :p

What about bare-metal virtualization? Any programs that do that on ARM?

Drack said:
What about bare-metal virtualization? Any programs that do that on ARM?
Not that I know of. It's just a lack of interest...

Couldn't someone use the platform builder kit to create a Windows CE image - and then sell it for a few quid?

I'd buy it for one, reckon a fair few others would too.

edit:

I'm downloading the platform builder as we speak

If there is enough interest in this I will devote some time to making it happen - it can be my first contribution to the community.

I'm a Microsoft Developer (don't flame me) with full access to MSDN - so I probably have access to the resources necessary.

I'd appreciate some feedback as to whether people think this is a worthwhile venture - personally, I do.

roshua said:
Couldn't someone use the platform builder kit to create a Windows CE image - and then sell it for a few quid? [...]
I'd appreciate some feedback as to whether people think this is a worthwhile venture - personally, I do.
I think people are mostly concerned about legality, and Microsoft is known to protect their copyright. However, if it's legal, I think it's worth your effort. A fair amount of people have expressed interest in WinCE, despite the nay-sayers.

More power to you roshua, I'll not flame you being a mostly windows based dev myself. As to the licensing, there are ways to do it legally, such as this:
Microsoft also announced a new free "noncommercial distribution license" for Windows CE .NET 4.2, which permits embedded developers, device manufacturers, and Microsoft's partners to share Windows CE system images for free or noncommercial devices. The purpose of this new free license is to foster innovation and collaboration within the community, the company said.
-pulled from http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS8969975443.html They also discuss a $3 dollar license. I found this info on a quick google search, and given it's from back in 03 but I suspect something similar is still in effect, although we'd have to take a look. I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. Then again I somehow doubt there is much if any support for OpenGL support which severely limits the whole idea.

polkunus said:
Even though if it was illegal will CE be released? I mean this system is targeted in emulation which is based in the legal gray area, I don't see why CE can't be on the pandora. :p

It's not officially targeted at emulation because it's such a gray area. Also, emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the system being emulated and the games that you are running on the emulator. Therefore, you could only legally use Windows CE on your own personal Pandora if you owned another device running Windows CE. You can't legally release it though. An emulator can be legally released as it by itself is totally legal, but using it to run games you don't own on a system you don't own is not legal.

roshua said:
Couldn't someone use the platform builder kit to create a Windows CE image - and then sell it for a few quid?

I'd buy it for one, reckon a fair few others would too.

edit:

I'm downloading the platform builder as we speak

If there is enough interest in this I will devote some time to making it happen - it can be my first contribution to the community.

I'm a Microsoft Developer (don't flame me) with full access to MSDN - so I probably have access to the resources necessary.

+1

I would love to have CE and I am willing to pay a little if I must.

There are some good games for CE. Owning a Dell x50v, I love 'Legacy' and 'The Quest'. There is also good navigation Software out there, because many navi devices have CE as OS.

For game information go to:
www.pocketplayers.info

polkunus said:
Because it would be blatantly illegal, perhaps :huh:

Back