Release Windows CE on Pandora?

polkunus said:
Even though if it was illegal will CE be released? I mean this system is targeted in emulation which is based in the legal gray area, I don't see why CE can't be on the pandora. :p
This is not a legal gray zone. It's a black zone, it's piracy and it's illegal. You might end up finding it on a torrent site or something, but not here.

I, for one possess many electronic devices which have versions of Windows CE so It would be absolutely legal for me wouldn't it?

But if OpenGL is not supported... There goes a big "meh" :wink:

WhyKlef said:
I, for one possess many electronic devices which have versions of Windows CE so It would be absolutely legal for me wouldn't it?

OpenGL ES is supported. There is a years old Quake 3 Arena OpenGL ES port for Axim x51v.

There is a ton of GPS software for Windows CE (equally illegal to download) that could be very useful with certain kinds of USB GPS.

Who on earth would want window$ CE anyway? I think you'd be breaking pandora's open source nature if you want to have that godawful software on it.

:( This subject has been discussed and over-discussed on the old forums.

ljones

ljones said:
I think you'd be breaking pandora's open source nature if you want to have that godawful software on it.

That makes no sense...
It also seems to be a hobby to add $$$-symbols to different brands that don`t use Open Source software.
Just try to see things the other way around.
Most idiots from the streets don`t know linux or hate it because in their communities there are also the symbol-adders in their forums who tell them it's just shit, without bringing evidence. If Pandora would run CE, those people would be attracted, they would integrate into the community and would try linux and may be converted, and would foremost learn to use their brains a bit more.
I think I'm just too old for that kind of ignorance and elitist thinking. I grew up with a Commodore plus4 followed by an Amiga 500. I feel the Pandora is made by people having the same taste like me. It's perfect.

If the Pandora could run CE, I would use it. I would also use linux. I don't care.

WhyKlef said:

Not strictly speaking. Those licenses apply only to the device CE is loaded on. As I stated in my earlier post which by and large seems to have been ignored, there are legal ways to do this. Buy, or obtain a legal license from microsoft, it's not actually all that hard, and not even really that pricey.

gerd said:
Most idiots from the streets don`t know linux or hate it ...
In that case they probably don't want a Pandora. Perhaps that's why you called them idiots. :wink:

TaG said:
gerd said:
Most idiots from the streets don`t know linux or hate it ...
In that case they probably don't want a Pandora. Perhaps that's why you called them idiots. :wink:

That's the point :wink:
It's about collecting new customers who wouldn't buy in the first place. Give them something they know, something catchy for the news-sites and watch them beeing converted to Pandorians :ph34r: There are different types of idiots, some are capable of learning :)

Vorporeal said:
polkunus said:
Even though if it was illegal will CE be released? I mean this system is targeted in emulation which is based in the legal gray area, I don't see why CE can't be on the pandora. :p

It's not officially targeted at emulation because it's such a gray area. Also, emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the system being emulated and the games that you are running on the emulator. Therefore, you could only legally use Windows CE on your own personal Pandora if you owned another device running Windows CE. You can't legally release it though. An emulator can be legally released as it by itself is totally legal, but using it to run games you don't own on a system you don't own is not legal.

some games like "star fox", "mario", etc. are totally illegal to emulate what so ever!

I OWN ALL THE GAMES THAT I PLAY ON AN EMULATOR***********************. companies can care less about some games anyway. W00t someones working on it!

thank you sir!

I have the kernel built and ready to test on my Pandora when it turns up. There is still plenty to do in terms of drivers, but I will be working with the BeagleBoard guys on this. Gonna be a lot of effort, but I think it will be worth it.

Roll on mid-November...can't do anything until then!

roshua said:
I have the kernel built and ready to test on my Pandora when it turns up. There is still plenty to do in terms of drivers, but I will be working with the BeagleBoard guys on this. Gonna be a lot of effort, but I think it will be worth it.

Roll on mid-November...can't do anything until then!

Great :D

polkunus said:
Vorporeal said:
polkunus said:

It's not officially targeted at emulation because it's such a gray area. Also, emulation is perfectly legal as long as you own the system being emulated and the games that you are running on the emulator. Therefore, you could only legally use Windows CE on your own personal Pandora if you owned another device running Windows CE. You can't legally release it though. An emulator can be legally released as it by itself is totally legal, but using it to run games you don't own on a system you don't own is not legal.

some games like "star fox", "mario", etc. are totally illegal to emulate what so ever!

I OWN ALL THE GAMES THAT I PLAY ON AN EMULATOR***********************. companies can care less about some games anyway. W00t someones working on it!

thank you sir!

I don't agree with you there. If you own a system and a game for that system, you have the rights to play that game. If you use an emulator to play it on your PC, that is perfectly legal - you've fully paid for the rights to play the game. It doesn't matter what system you use to play it.

That isn't legal in the US as they have encryption which must be bypassed to backup the disk, violating the DMCA

Vorporeal said:
I don't agree with you there. If you own a system and a game for that system, you have the rights to play that game. If you use an emulator to play it on your PC, that is perfectly legal - you've fully paid for the rights to play the game. It doesn't matter what system you use to play it.

that is not correct. when you buy a game you accept the licensing terms, and these usually state, that you are NOT allowed to play the game on a system other than what it was designed for. period.

regarding CE: if you don't have a license to run it, it is illegal. period.

If you own a for example a psx and a game and then you play that game on your PC in en emulator, no court I can think of would put you in jail for that. The rules that the companies make have to be compatible with local laws to be accepted by the courts. If it is legal in a country to make personal backups of software, then there is nothing a company can do about that. Cracking protection is something different, that may be illegal.

In the case of this thread in general it has nothing todo with violating rights or laws, because it is pretty obvious, that, if you want CE on the Pandora you will have to pay MS for the license. If my toaster also has CE on it, that doesn't mean I don't need an additional license for my Pandora.

Back