Windows Ce?

I can certainly understand wanting WinMo, but I don't think Windows CE would be ideal...

I'm personally not of the opinion that such a thing could be done...but I guess you could ask over at xda-developers. They're certainly familiar with OMAP hardware...I think?

Willrandship said:
Why does anyone even need winCE? what possible thing can it do that angstrom can't? I can't think of anything. If there are a few applications, it has been mentioned that a WineCE style of project could be possible. Still, though, why?
Sheeple need WinCE because it is easy to work with. Don't get me wrong, I love linux, but it's still not quite an end user OS unless it's embeded, and even then it's a little quirky. The beauty of the MS ecosystem is that it is all ready to play(welllll more so than linux), and that is very attractive to technophebes.

I dunno if I would even want CE, it's a little dated. Windows Phone 7 OS(yeah I know pandora is not a phone)might be kinda nifty though.

Last edited by a moderator:
kaprikawn said:
Someone remind me again why the "Pandora cannot run Windows" thread was unstickied.
And how does that related to this thread? Which talks about WinCE, and not Win32/64.

This is a very basic observation here, but isn't the Dreamcast os an optimized version of WinCE? Could there be any access to ce software through dreamcast emulation?

No. The Dreamcast does not include Windows CE, nor is its OS based on it. Some games include Windows CE on-disc, this was done (if memory serves) to ease porting of some titles. Moreover, it's my understanding that the Dreamcast emulator doesn't support the games that used Windows CE. :p So I'm afraid that's a no-go!

Sugar_Kane said:
This is a very basic observation here, but isn't the Dreamcast os an optimized version of WinCE? Could there be any access to ce software through dreamcast emulation?
No, it was explicitly stated that nullDCe will be missing features needed to run winCE and games that are based on it.

The reason for wine being very advanced is it's mass appeal and also it's massive corporate backing. If wine will ever go for winCE on ARM, it will be more of a pet-project.

I'd just like to point out that there are many ARM cortex-8 devices that run windows CE right now. They are all beagleboard style units so I can't imagine that it would be a massive leap to get WinCE running on the Pandora...

Saying that, I think it would be an abomination and this behaviour shouldn't be encouraged!

:)

Rick

spinghed said:
Saying that, I think it would be an abomination and this behaviour shouldn't be encouraged!
Not at all, I'd love WinCE on Pandora. I'd especially like to try PocketDiablo
http://www.jamesbeckingham.com.au/Diablo.aspx

Good site about CE games:
http://www.pocketplayers.info/Joomla/

IMHO the major missing app in Linux, is turn by turn GPS navigation with voice, something I believe WinCE has.

Nation.A.List said:
IMHO the major missing app in Linux, is turn by turn GPS navigation with voice, something I believe WinCE has.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=turn+by+turn+GPS+navigation+with+voice+linux

First result:
Code:
Roadnav

Roadnav is an in-car navigation system capable of running on a variety of operating systems, including Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. It can obtain a car's present location from a GPS unit, plot street maps of the area, and provide verbal turn by turn directions to any location in the USA. It uses the free TIGER/Line files from the US Census Bureau to build the maps, along with the GNIS state and topical gazetteer data from the USGS to identify locations.

Nation.A.List said:
zhasha said:
Nation.A.List said:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=turn+by+turn+GPS+navigation+with+voice+linux

First result:
Code:
Roadnav
Fine if I lived in the USA, but I don't, so I'm still lacking that app :(
Fine dude, same page links here:
Navit is a car navigation system with routing engine.

It's modular design is capable of using vector maps of various formats for routing and rendering of the displayed map. It's even possible to use multiple maps at a time.

The GTK+ or SDL user interfaces are designed to work well with touch screen displays. Points of Interest of various formats are displayed on the map.

The current vehicle position is either read from gpsd or directly from NMEA GPS sensors.

The routing engine not only calculates an optimal route to your destination, but also generates directions and even speaks to you using speechd.

I can understand people saying "I wouldn't use it," but to say it's pointless/useless and shouldn't be ported for that reason is just dumb (not to mention insulting to those who'd like it, which is completely unnecessary). I purchased a WinCE license for my SmartQ 7, and there are several apps that are just great, including two of the best comic archive reading apps available on ANY operating system - namely ComicReaderMobi and MangaMeeya (worlds better than using Comix on linux). I would put WinCE on my Pandora JUST to have access to those two apps. So, even if there's a smaller number of really great applications for WinCE than Linux, how can porting it be called stupid or pointless? More options are never a bad thing with devices like Pandora.

edit: This wasn't directed at anyone in particular... Just ranting. :)

wermy said:
I can understand people saying "I wouldn't use it," but to say it's pointless/useless and shouldn't be ported for that reason is just dumb (not to mention insulting to those who'd like it, which is completely unnecessary). I purchased a WinCE license for my SmartQ 7, and there are several apps that are just great, including two of the best comic archive reading apps available on ANY operating system - namely ComicReaderMobi and MangaMeeya (worlds better than using Comix on linux). I would put WinCE on my Pandora JUST to have access to those two apps. So, even if there's a smaller number of really great applications for WinCE than Linux, how can porting it be called stupid or pointless? More options are never a bad thing with devices like Pandora.

edit: This wasn't directed at anyone in particular... Just ranting. :)
What is up with you people and your comic readers? Evince (aka. Document Viewer) will literally display ANY document, including .cbz, .cbr and whatever else you can throw at it. I fail to see how many features you could possibly want when reading manga. My girlfriend reads onemanga quite a lot and all that entails is scrolling down through the pages.

wermy said:
(...) I would put WinCE on my Pandora JUST to have access to those two apps. So, even if there's a smaller number of really great applications for WinCE than Linux, how can porting it be called stupid or pointless? More options are never a bad thing with devices like Pandora.(...)

If there are just a couple applications for WinCE that have no linux equivalent, porting the whole system instead of a few apps may not be pointless, but does sound quite wasteful of resources to me.

It is true that porting WinCE is probably just a matter of paying microsoft, while the authors/copyright holders of said apps may be opposed to the port, no matter how much one is willing to pay, but then the same money could be used to have someone write a better app for linux from scratch, or improved an existing one.

zhasha said:
What is up with you people and your comic readers? Evince (aka. Document Viewer) will literally display ANY document, including .cbz, .cbr and whatever else you can throw at it. I fail to see how many features you could possibly want when reading manga. My girlfriend reads onemanga quite a lot and all that entails is scrolling down through the pages.

It's just a matter of preference. I like MangaMeeya because it is completely customizable, to an insane extent. I like ComicReaderMobi because of the auto-size-to-bubble lens feature (REALLY nice on small screens. Tap on a text bubble and it gets bigger). There are a couple of comic archive viewers which do a nice job in linux, but none nearly as nice as the two I mentioned.

@valhalla: obviously if someone deemed it a waste of resources, they don't see any value in WinCE in the first place. But just the fact that there are people with uses for it shows that it wouldn't be considered a waste of resources to EVERYONE. :)

There are quite a few games I still play on my Dell Axim X3 (PPC 2003 IIRC) that i would love to have on my Pandora. I would welcome a WinCE port for those alone and that's all I would use it for. When i saw the info awhile back for it running on the Beagleboard, I have been hoping someday someone would port it. Then I can finally retire my Axim by giving to my son to play with and use as an mp3/video player. Portable video playback and one photo editor program are the only other things besides games I actually use it for, but Pandora will best these capabilities as well.

I'm not the original person who intended to do this, but I actually have MSDN and the WinCE device development kit (and have worked on porting WinCE before) and fully intend to give this a shot. The difficulty (if I remember the licensing correctly) is distributing it legally.

Back