Windows 10

What happened to 9?
Some dude told windows 9 will be a free upgrade for windows 8 owner... rather than proving him wrong they preferred to skip 9...

Last edited by a moderator:
Altough I'm happy when I can get back to Linux after work, I don't have any problems working with Windows 8(8.1) - why should I, its basically an improved version of Windows 7, with only one drawback, that they made a clusterf*** out of the settings.
I prefer Linux over Windows because it does things differently and is more "modular" (which has its drawbacks too), but overall Win8 a fine system to use. Most of the "buuh Windows 8, Windows 3.11 was the best Windows evar" voices sound more like "uhh, its different, and I don't like different" to me.

Microsoft has launched their latest Operating System, Windows 10 which is odd considering the logical next step would have been Windows 9 but Microsoft claims that the OS is so advanced that calling it Windows 9 would have not been right so they have named their latest offering as Windows 10.

....fair nuff.

Makes sense

Well that's the thing, 2000 was originally marketed to business uses only as it was based off Windows NT and was intended as a successor to it.  However at the time they were trying to sell a huge hunk of crap to the home market (Windows ME ). Microsoft most likely didn't expect the huge amount of home users buying windows 2000 especially gamers.. If the popularity of Windows 2000 didn't get noticed, Windows XP could have been based off of ME and it would of been even more horrendous.  So thank the people that bought windows 2000..
I do know my computer history thank you very much ;) + thank them for what exactly? For stopping Microsoft (hopefully) going bankrupt? I think I'll decline if it's all the same to you.

I do know my computer history thank you very much + thank them for what exactly? For stopping Microsoft (hopefully) going bankrupt? I think I'll decline if it's all the same to you.

Well don't expect to make a counter argument with me without a lengthy history lesson, just be warned. 

I'll remember that for the next time I can't sleep, thanks for helping me nod off last night btw. :)

The rest of the world seems to disagree with the both of you
It's a good thing strength and effectiveness of an operating system aren't a popularity contest then. If it were, by the same argument, Windows would be strictly better than Linux.

It's a good thing strength and effectiveness of an operating system aren't a popularity contest then. If it were, by the same argument, Windows would be strictly better than Linux.
ccef0a528f37c5e0f0629e78ee9d939ace8ff0c1b85b65183cfe7c621e53fbdf.jpg

I think Microsoft is so jealous at Linux that they have secretly spent billions of dollars to create this shellshock for the past couple of years.  That's why they didn't have time to work on their own stuff like Windows 8 ;)

so if win10 would be better than win9, why is xbox one supposed to be better than xbox360?

...I don't have any problems working with Windows 8(8.1) - why should I, its basically an improved version of Windows 7, ...
As before, what?

Are you just speaking of the new task manager?  That's the only improvement I have heard or seen or read about.  I'm still pretty ignorant of Windows 8, so I would love it if someone making the same claim as you would explain.  Buttons and menus have been moved around, but what has been improved?

...I don't have any problems working with Windows 8(8.1) - why should I, its basically an improved version of Windows 7, ...
As before, what?Are you just speaking of the new task manager?  That's the only improvement I have heard or seen or read about.  I'm still pretty ignorant of Windows 8, so I would love it if someone making the same claim as you would explain.  Buttons and menus have been moved around, but what has been improved?
Overall system stability (like several memory allocation safeguards) and improved built in "applications" (Windows Explorer, Windows Defender), more mechanisms for encrypting data, improvement in regards of users beeing able to custimze their system, etc. Its not that hard to find, if you want to, just use a search engine of your choice. Of course, it not all sunshine and roses, there is the biggest problem, that Microsoft tried a "one size fits all" approach on the UI, which was just plain stupid, the mess in the settings, the fast boottime "trick" (hibernation instead of a real shutdown) and so on.And there is off course personal experience: While in Windows 7 the dreaded BSOD was already a rarity, I never encountered one during the almost two years in using (the same) Win 8 installation. After removing all the ties to the metro apps, and installing shortscuts for shutdown and reboot on the start screen, I like it even more then Windows 7. The only thing I'm still not fond off is, that switching from speakers to headphone output still does not work reliably.

Real improvement which stood out to me when using 8.1 was the task manager, and the way that file copy/move displays.

Now it docks each little dialogue box stacked on each other, same as OS X does... Whereas Win7 and earlier used to float them in front of each other so you ended having to move them around everywhere.

I often have a screen full of the copy progress dialogues so that's nice.

Good to see with Win10 they've at least brought back the Start button.

On Win8 I use Classic Shell program to bring that function but now it's back by default it seems

Real improvement which stood out to me when using 8.1 was the task manager, and the way that file copy/move displays.

Now it docks each little dialogue box stacked on each other, same as OS X does... Whereas Win7 and earlier used to float them in front of each other so you ended having to move them around everywhere.

I often have a screen full of the copy progress dialogues so that's nice.
That was actually a dissapointment for me, as I thought that was an indicator for a queue mechanism, but it wasn't :^(
Good to see with Win10 they've at least brought back the Start button.

On Win8 I use Classic Shell program to bring that function but now it's back by default it seems
Thats somehing I do not miss at all, on the contrary the Win10 menu thingy looks more like a step backwards to me.

I think that the Great Microsoft era is finally coming to an end... Well at least at the home environment.

Vavle are already pushing AMD and nVidia in order to continue releasing good Linux drivers for their GPUs in behave of SteamOS.

(Do you remember nVidia Optimus? Even the Windows driver was absolute garbage)

But most importantly, Multi platform engines like Unity are the final nail in the Microsoft coffin.

Thanks to them, most of the new game releases are Linux compatible strait out from the box.

So my prediction is that, in the next few years, the population of Linux home users will grow drastically. 

In the business and enterprise segment,

The companies will continue to use Windows 7 Pro (and Enterprise) and never will give any fucks about Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 15, or 500 - It will be the new XP for them.

because they was already forced to upgrade (spend money on new licenses) to 7 from XP.

The Windows Server version will keep his position mainly because of the Active Directory. Basically every medium and large company have it implemented, And basically the AD do not have any competition. (Samba 4 DC included).

:)

The companies will continue to use Windows 7 Pro (and Enterprise) and never will give any fucks about Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 15, or 500 - It will be the new XP for them. because they was already forced to upgrade (spend money on new licenses) to 7 from XP.
you don't get it I think... think of what happenned back in the days...

we had a crappy windows 95,

a better windows 98,

a crappy windows ME,

a good windows XP,

a crappy Vista,

a great seven,

a crappy windows 8 (with a somewhat better 8.1)

chances are the next one might actually be good... Microsoft tend to alternate good with crappy OS... 

So my prediction is that, in the next few years, the population of Linux home users will grow drastically. 
Linux is already a pretty good system right now, but we don't see any drastic user base increase, because there's no hardware sold with Linux by default (or very little). As long as this does not change, Linux will remain a niche market. 

The companies will continue to use Windows 7 Pro (and Enterprise) and never will give any fucks about Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 15, or 500 - It will be the new XP for them. because they was already forced to upgrade (spend money on new licenses) to 7 from XP.
you don't get it I think... think of what happenned back in the days...

we had a crappy windows 95,

a better windows 98,

a crappy windows ME,

a good windows XP,

a crappy Vista,

a great seven,

a crappy windows 8 (with a somewhat better 8.1)

chances are the next one might actually be good... Microsoft tend to alternate good with crappy OS... 
That cycle is a myth. It does not even contain Windows 2000 which was a pretty good OS at the time. 

I think that the Great Microsoft era is finally coming to an end... Well at least at the home environment.

Vavle are already pushing AMD and nVidia in order to continue releasing good Linux drivers for their GPUs in behave of SteamOS.

(Do you remember nVidia Optimus? Even the Windows driver was absolute garbage)

But most importantly, Multi platform engines like Unity are the final nail in the Microsoft coffin.

Thanks to them, most of the new game releases are Linux compatible strait out from the box.

So my prediction is that, in the next few years, the population of Linux home users will grow drastically.

In the business and enterprise segment,

The companies will continue to use Windows 7 Pro (and Enterprise) and never will give any fucks about Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 15, or 500 - It will be the new XP for them.

because they was already forced to upgrade (spend money on new licenses) to 7 from XP.

The Windows Server version will keep his position mainly because of the Active Directory. Basically every medium and large company have it implemented, And basically the AD do not have any competition. (Samba 4 DC included).

:)
Someone else already mentioned it earlier I know... But I think the fact a lot of high street shops still bundle Windows on their machines will result in Windows still being fairly popular with a large user base... Those who buy a PC and just want to then do their surfing, Facebook, view family photos and do bit of accounts and stuff

Back