Release Wind And Water: Puzzle Battles

Coldbird

The folks at Yuan Works / Costa Rica decided to provide the GP2X/Wiz Version of Wind and Water, a commercial title, for free download.

Furthermore, after consulting Yuan Han, one of the brothers who created the game, we were allowed to repack the title for Pandora-Users.

If you end up liking the game, I suggest you head over to www.wind-water.net and buy a custom avatar pack to reward them for their hard work. ;D

amystone.jpg
amyvsvmu.jpg

Download PND (v1.04 wiz)

PS. Sorry for the crappy quality demo-video, my phone cam sucks.

YES!!! been in a few discussions with the Yuan brothers about a Linux port, but this is just as good! :D Definitely can't wait till I get my Pandora! I got the GP2X version and got my custom avatar a while ago... actually, mine is on the page of ones they show in promotion of the custom avatars... (the brown-skinned one with the funky hair wearing all black with grey sleeves and headphones :p)

Love the game, just haven't gotten around to pulling out my GP2X and getting into it again... but I'm more interested in the Pandora one anyway... :D so I'll wait till mine finally gets here so I can enjoy it on my new toy!

Again, thanks Coldbird :)

CPU: Yeah, we remember you :D

Oh, and about Linux, it's running now! You might be interested on checking this thread :eek: http://forum.wind-water.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61&p=270#p270

oh happy day! :p

Side note: Not a fan of Ubuntu, but at least it's a start... seems to always be where people start when it comes to Linux... doesn't necessarily set well with me, but whatever. my preferences :D

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
oh happy day! :p

Side note: Not a fan of Ubuntu, but at least it's a start... seems to always be where people start when it comes to Linux... doesn't necessarily set well with me, but whatever. my preferences :D

Well yeah, but to tell the truth I started with some very obscure and outdated version of Linux when I was a student and had to program some Proxy/Cache stuff. Bad days those were :) I'm too old for anything other than clicky-shiny stuff, so ubuntu is perfect for me!

Coldbird: Is it too much to ask if you could add a couple of screenshots to your main post, so that they appear on the news? Maybe these two, since the news go almost unseen without screens:

amystone.jpg

amyvsvmu.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that you have it compiled for Linux, you should consider cross-compiling it for the Pandora, as there really is no big difference besides SDL-keymapping and resolution.

This game will make it's way onto my Pandora for sure. :)
But first, I need my Pandora. :( I wonder if it would be much rework to have a true Widescreen W&W resolution without Stretching, so in this case 400x240 (x2) instead of 320x240 (x2). But I know that Pixel Art in this game is only done for a 4:3 screen, so Yuan works would have to do alot additional drawing to fill the rest of the screen I guess.

However, I wanted to ask ARK if there is still a plan to release W&W in other languages, for example in german. AFAIk ED wanted to do a german translation but somehow it never got approved or so, maybe you guys could make some chitchat again about this? :) The Story mode is nice and contains alot of text, with propper Translations even younger players or people without much english experience could enjoy all teh ingame Text?

Coldbird, I'll probably compile it on Linux, so if you can point me in the right direction :) (can't do much testing though, which makes me wanna stay with the GINGE version!)

Fusion Power, well, you can play on PC! Also, making the game widescreen (400x240 x2) would be almost out of the question because of the amount of graphics that would need to be changed ;)

Anyway, well, I know you've been asking about a German version. To tell the truth, EvilDragon translated a lot of the text a long time ago, but putting it inside the game is quite a lot of work. German, Spanish, and French version are all contemplated, but we would need more time (and support!) in order to be able to bring those versions :)

On other news, the PC version has been updated with MOUSE SUPPORT (download link) as well as the Linux version

Here's a video on how the Mouse works, and how (cool!) Custom Avatars look in-game!

A r k said:
Fusion Power, well, you can play on PC! Also, making the game widescreen (400x240 x2) would be almost out of the question because of the amount of graphics that would need to be changed ;)
I know. ^^ I'm fine with 4:3, no problem. :) I've tried some Pixel art for myself from time to time, I know how important it is in 2D to "build" the graphics exactly to match the screen. My clean 4:3 game test looked not good in widescreen. 3D graphics have some advantage in this point. ^^"

A r k said:
Anyway, well, I know you've been asking about a German version. To tell the truth, EvilDragon translated a lot of the text a long time ago, but putting it inside the game is quite a lot of work. German, Spanish, and French version are all contemplated, but we would need more time (and support!) in order to be able to bring those versions :)
Yes, our language contains all these evil special characters like Ö Ä Ü ß... I also can imagine that some Sentences or words are loner in german/spanish than in english so the available space ingame could become a problem here and there.

I've made some advertisement for W&W in an bigger german Forum (no replies yet :( ) I hope you don't mind that I've used some linked graphics from your Website. I've not forgot the correct Links to the site itself of course :)

Thanks for the .pnd, I only spent a bit of time with it through Ginge (I find it hard to remember what I have available through Ginge) and will definitely spend time with it now.

Coldbird: Do you own a Caanoo, as to test the new GINGE+WIZ wrapper for Caanoo? That'd be cool :)

Anyway, also wanted to ask you guys... How does the Pandora handle internet connection? Just like a normal wifi laptop, right? (I don't know anything about Pandora, forgive me!)

I'm hoping to run a few W&W online tests for PC and having Pandora users help me test out would be cool :) if you guys can point me to the right threads or explain a bit to me, I'd appreciate it alot!

Fusion: Yeah, it's hard to quickly change 2D traditional pixel art games :) anyway, the characters are okay but it is mostly with all the text changes, dialogue synchronizing, etc., which is pretty hard. And yeah, German words are probably longer, that would had to be solved too!

Thanks for the advertisement, it's hard to advertise this game as on the outside it looks like "just a puzzle game". Destructoid, TIGSource, and DIYGamer did give us a nice and kind review, so we're slowly getting some attention :)

Cheers!

A r k said:
Anyway, also wanted to ask you guys... How does the Pandora handle internet connection? Just like a normal wifi laptop, right? (I don't know anything about Pandora, forgive me!)
Basically your adventures in compiling a linux version have already prepared you for Pandora. It is just a portable linux based computer. With any luck your current code will "just work" if you compile it using one of the Pandora toolchains.

Im sorry to disappoint you but I dont have a Canoo.
As for Wifi on Pandora, it works the same way like any other Linux computer, you should be able to predict its behaviour by using your Ubuntu install.

And for testing. Count me in mate, for both Linux Pc and Pandora versions.

Alright guys, I'll give it a test run :) if there is anything in particular, regarding button layout, etc., lemme know.

Just tested SDL_Net sockets yesterday for our first Windows+Linux Online testing and it was a success!

Hope to have you two guys on our next test as I wanna load-stress the server a bit :)

And if anyone feels like testing W&W Online (Linux, Windows (Wine works too), and hopefully Pandora if Poke and Coldbird can help me! :D ) check this thread out:

http://forum.wind-water.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78&p=479

for the record, I have a "not too old" server that I bought second-hand and am working to revive... Once operational, I wouldn't mind offering up a bit of power to help with the online stuff (maybe help hosting the game or something... but not sure what I can do with my standard "home class" DSL line)... If it would be any help, let me know how and what I can do. :D I already plan to utilize it for repo mirroring for the linux distros I like (and then branch out from there as my net connection allows me to)...

Pandora + Online = WIN!

Thanks poke!

Will be running more test tomorrow (Sunday) more info on how to help us testing here:
http://forum.wind-water.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78&p=479

Back