Win2X : Alternative Frontend

Regarding the Wiz logo tearup on rotate:

What about loading a Pure Black screen to the framebuffer, before rotate?
I know that it's not a serious issue... But I also know that I gulp each time it happens, LOL...
And new users are gonna ask the same question over and over,
Maybe this might help avoid answering the same question over and over...

Excellent work on the update, Tho I miss Fairytale Land PNG :)
But I've loaded my own wallpapers now, so it wasn't missed for long.

I'm still hoping for subfolders, LOL...

Please keep up the good work...
-DEJ

I've just downloaded the latest version (1.1.1), everything seems fine so far. :)

A couple of things though:

1. Could the explorer show the folder/file names in alphabetical order?
2. There's still a couple of functions (eg. accept etc. on the keyboard & the + to add games etc.) that still need the stylus, could these be mapped to buttons? (A or Y aren't used and my touchscreen is way out!)
3. Instructions/help that you could access from the 'desktop' would also be helpful.
4. Could this be installed on the NAND with the configuration files stored on my SD cards? (So each SD card has a different setup)
5. If this gets uninstalled, then reinstalled (eg. to update to a newer version) does it remember the old settings?

Cheers, Neil

Great progress so far, thanks!

some things to mention:
- you can't create links to 2 applications (in the same category) if the names of the executables are identical, e.g. if 2 different games are named "game.gpe", the older one will be replaced, changing the link name doesn't help
- text doesn't look good because the space between two letters depends on the actual width of the letters, "mm" even overlaps. Font programming is a pain...
- termula2x is another application that doesn't work with Win2x
- I'd prefer the windows to be fullscreen too, but I don't want to start the discussion again, it's ok for me
- just lost all of my links because I updated to V1.1.1, beta tester's faith ;-)

Keep up your good work!

Neil L said:
I've just downloaded the latest version (1.1.1), everything seems fine so far. :)

2. There's still a couple of functions (eg. accept etc. on the keyboard & the + to add games etc.) that still need the stylus, could these be mapped to buttons? (A or Y aren't used and my touchscreen is way out!)
3. Instructions/help that you could access from the 'desktop' would also be helpful.
4. Could this be installed on the NAND with the configuration files stored on my SD cards? (So each SD card has a different setup)
5. If this gets uninstalled, then reinstalled (eg. to update to a newer version) does it remember the old settings?

Cheers, Neil
1. Yes it could.It just sorts by creation time right now..so in the next version I'll add a "sort by.." option.
2.They are already mapped(e.g the "+" is mapped to shoulder R,the accept is SELECT etc).There is no function that is not mapped to both the TS and the keyboard.Just read the documentation.
3.Too many instructions...but maybe I'll do it..
4.No there is no need for that...It would be less flexible in that way...But Win2X already supports multiple SD card configuration.Eg. a link created for a specific program to an SD(let's say #1),will not appeare for an other SD(#2) in which that program doesn't exist.
6.Right now "install.gpe" forces a clean install which means no.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, just accidentally deleted the current wallpaper...
RESULT:
Win2X wont recover, wont reboot...
Here comes the Firmware, :)
-DEJ

Dejunai said:
RESULT:
-DEJ
Sorry about that..Hope you did read the documentation because I noted with bold letters,that you must NOT delete the in-use wallpaper file...
Guess I have to include a security valve about this case...

chp said:
Dejunai said:
RESULT:
-DEJ
Sorry about that..Hope you did read the documentation because I noted with bold letters,that you must NOT delete the in-use wallpaper file...
Guess I have to include a security valve about this case...

no, I read it...
I am just stupid, and sharing my stupidity...
( and recommending a security valve :)
-DEJ

Hello CHP, Ive been playing around with this a lot today - obviously I'm impressed or I wouldn't be using it so much, but there's a number of "little things" that need ironed out. I'll try and list them briefly:

1. TS tap on the up/down arrow in explorer bar doesn't wrap round though dpad does. Also, if there's only a few files, say 5 it would still be useful to be able to push up to wrap to the last file in a directory (and down to go to the first) - this only works if there's many files (more than fit in explorer window). Also being able to scroll down by tapping the sidebar in explorer would be a bonus.

2. When I rename a file or change it from PC (and on WIZ too I think) Win2x needs to be rebooted to show the new name (this was confusing me as I thought the link icon wasn't working).

3. I mentioned previously the clock format (24 hour saves space + looks better I think)

4. Screen saver does not always kick in - sometimes the screen stays on.

5. I mentioned an auto-shutdown, well a shut-down/restart wiz option in the options menu would be very useful (like the logout/shutdown on windows start button) - you could look at the GMU player code if it's available, I think they just implemented a shutdown feature in it.

6. Desktop/apps links to the media player and music player could be installed as default, users could delete them if they wanted (easier than creating them)

7. Again, I know this is already something you are thinking about, but it deserves to be on this list. Associating filetypes with the programs that run them (where possible) would be wonderful.

The next few ideas are just ones that are "new" or possible features and would have to be thought about. I'm only mentioning them as possible ideas (one would be no use to me, but maybe for others) so please don't think I'm asking for all this to be done soon or indeed ever.

EXTRA-1. I'd thought about zip/unzip function in explorer, though maybe this would be best implemented as a seperate program.

EXTRA-2. I like the idea of a 2 panel explorer that would make it easy to browse 2 locations simultaneously (without needing 2 windows open) - this would be really useful for copying/pasting files.

EXTRA-3. This idea only popped into my head when I thought of the log off/shutdown thing. Perhaps support for a "seperate user" could be implemented. The default links and programs would always be loaded on startup, but for some of the files that get used less often (or if there really are 2 users of the same Wiz) a small user icon could switch to another profile with different links (and even background/wallpaper etc...)

Wow, there's a lot to take in here and I'm sure a lot won't appeal to you. I'm so impressed with all the work you've done already I'm begining to think anything is possible! I hope you have had a good New Year celebration, and are still enjoying creating Win2x. You really must be very satisfied with how much quality work you've done in such a short space of time. Regular updates are one of the things that keeps people interested and coming back, and you've made a lot of people much happier about owning a Wiz. I hope you continue to do so in 2010.

chp said:
Neil L said:

Cheers, Neil
1. Yes it could.It just sorts by creation time right now..so in the next version I'll add a "sort by.." option.
2.They are already mapped(e.g the "+" is mapped to shoulder R,the accept is SELECT etc).There is no function that is not mapped to both the TS and the keyboard.Just read the documentation.
3.Too many instructions...but maybe I'll do it..
4.No there is no need for that...It would be less flexible in that way...But Win2X already supports multiple SD card configuration.Eg. a link created for a specific program to an SD(let's say #1),will not appeare for an other SD(#2) in which that program doesn't exist.
6.Right now "install.gpe" forces a clean install which means no.

Thanks for the help on these questions. :)

Another problem I've found is that games/emulators etc. using the Pollux set don't work (they just hang up with a black screen), apart from this and the overlapping letters problem, this runs perfectly.

Cheers, Neil

Yes I forgot about the overlapping letters Neil, and you figured out why some of my emulators aren't working - it's 'cause they're totally polluxed! We know what the problem is now, we're talking pollux.

Titan

TitanUranus said:
Hello CHP, Ive been playing around with this a lot today - obviously I'm impressed or I wouldn't be using it so much, but there's a number of "little things" that need ironed out. I'll try and list them briefly...
Wow Titan...thank you very very much!!!I do am satisfied and to say the truth I'd never expect so much support for something that I created just for fun in the first place...but I'm even more satisfied because it turns to be a usefull frontend and also because of the support and feedback I get from
all of you who use it!Now on to with your suggestions...
1.That was something I was thinking too but I was so busy with v1.1 that I left it for v1.2...
2.I need some more info on this(what you try to rename,from where(USB-connection,explorer),is it an in-use file icon or not?
3.Yes,it has been scheduled already..
4.I know...this happens sometimes for the desktop and it always happens for modal dialogs(as messagebox,explorer pop-up menu,imageviewer)
5.I'll look to it for sure...
6.It will be done.
7.Unfortunattely many of the existing programs do not accept command line arguments but I'll see what can be done.
EX-1. Well,sorry but I do not want to sacrifice CPU cycles for something like this...zipping/unzipping would be a significant slow process...
EX-2.Very neat!But on a 320x240 resolution a bit difficult to implement sufficiently.
EX-3.Really nice!I'll do implement it indeed!
Thank you Titan very much!That's a lot of work to be done but I'll do my best to give it as soon as possible...

Sorry to ask...but what overlapping letters?I thought Milkawax stated this and after that I uploaded the V1.1.1 which fixes the overlapping letters to the category windows...Are you talking for something different??

Regarding point 2 - I had copied some icons I created into emulator folders. When I renamed them they showed up with the same name, until I reset the Wiz. This also happened when I renamed the actual emulator *.gpe files (which I did to make the names shorter becaiuse of letter overlapping). I also tried renaming the links, which also did not seem to change (it was only later when I reset the wiz I noticed changes had been made, now icons were linked to gpe files etc...).

The letter overlapping happens like this, you create a link in the emulators folder for example, called "Amstrad CPC". Because of the short space to display the name, all the letters get squashed together and mixed in with each other. This makes it difficult to read, it would be better if it only displayed say the first 4 or 5 letters, but displayed them clearly. This is why I was trying to rename some emulators - say from "Amstrad CPC" to just "CPC", which is sensible on the small wiz screen anyway.

I hope this helps, if I haven't explained it well let me know and I'll try again. Oh, one other thing I forgot to ask, would it be possible to increase the area that responds to touch screen to include the words as well as the icons on the Win2X bar. I often press on the word "Applications" instead of the icon, and it ignores me. I'm off to bed soon, but if you need me to give more information for anything let me know and I'll try tomorrow.

TitanUranus said:
Regarding point 2...
I see...well as you said it is a small area and a small font but I fix it to be more appealing...
On the raname matter I haven't noticed something myself except this...Win2X(as a linux-based application) does not support empty characters in filenames(e.g "pocket snes" instead of "pocketsnes") so any copy/paste/rename/delete function will fail.If that's not the case then I'll see to
it fix it(tomorrow as I'm off to bed too)...
Forgot to say:I'll fix the start menu response area aswell...

After spending some time playing with Firmwares today,
I discovered that Win2X installs fine on 1.0.0, 1.0.1, and of course 1.1.0.
Oddly enuf tho, I also discovered the ts_calibrate will fireup just fine on 1.0.0, and 1.0.1.
Also 1.0.1 has the /usr/gp2x/LineDraw.gpe test utility.
Using this I can clearly see that my first WiZ has a crappy TS, and my second WiZ is just fine.
-DEJ

For anyone not using Win2X you can add this as an INI to your game folder.
Code:
[info]
name="Line Draw"
path="../../../../usr/gp2x/LineDraw.gpe"
icon="/noimage.png"

I fully admit that I am a complete n00b, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get links in the menus or on the desktop!

I try the (+) button (as well as using the R-shoulder), navigate to the xxx.gpe file, press "B" to select. The explorer window goes away and backs up to whatever category window i was in, but it is always blank!

What am I missing? Using fw 1.10, and Win2x v1.1.0.

:(

CHP first off let me thank you for creating this frontend. I've been using it since day one, and I've signed up for the forums, in order solely to thank you.

Just a question though, nothing major.

But is it possible to create a separate theme, and have it recognized by the frontend, because I have tried, I was only able to modify the skin through editing the files in the current {Gold} folder, it worked very well, all I have to do is change the fonts... But I was just wondering would I need a line of code, you know, in order to upload a completed skin that the program can access.

I know my sentence structures weren't perfect, but I hope you understand the inquiry.

Also, maybe this have been said before, emulators notably, in my experience, lemonboy2, spsp, picodrive, and MAME4All, seem to self terminate if you leave the screensaver on, the inactivity creates a blank screen, and if you press the direction keys or the "B" button you will access the first link on your desktop.

This Problem ^ is nothing major, I can just turn off the screensaver....just wanted you to know.

Once again thank you my wiz was collecting dust on my dresser, before renewed interests in the system.

I fully admit that I am a complete n00b, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get links in the menus or on the desktop!

I try the (+) button (as well as using the R-shoulder), navigate to the xxx.gpe file, press "B" to select. The explorer window goes away and backs up to whatever category window i was in, but it is always blank!

What am I missing? Using fw 1.10, and Win2x v1.1.0.

:(

@docterry

I had troubles with it at first, and the answer is in the readme files, but because I wish someone wouldv'e told me

Press the R button when you are in the desired window (Applications, Ports, etc) press B on the folder train i.e SD +B , Games + B, Location of file

Then Press B on the desired file, it will then be added to the desired window.

To get links onto the desktop go to the window where your links are, press select on the desired link, this will bring up a list of options...
Go to option 3, "Send to Desktop" and you will find your link on the desktop..

Hope this helps :lol:

Dejunai said:
After spending some time playing with Firmwares today,
I discovered that Win2X installs fine on 1.0.0, 1.0.1, and of course 1.1.0.
Oddly enuf tho, I also discovered the ts_calibrate will fireup just fine on 1.0.0, and 1.0.1.
Also 1.0.1 has the /usr/gp2x/LineDraw.gpe test utility.
Using this I can clearly see that my first WiZ has a crappy TS, and my second WiZ is just fine.
-DEJ
Thank you for your information Dejunai!I have discovered the ts_calibrate problem too.But what I discovered is that it fires up under Win2X BUT you have to previously ran the original frontend or the Media Player.The reason(I suspect) is some kind of initialization with the TSLIB...Also I have LineDraw.gpe too(under fw 1.1.0)

CodeOfTheBenchPress said:
Just a question though, nothing major...
Thank you very much!Very nice to hear or you and that you liked Win2X!
The skinning feature is under construction yet...For now the only option is to edit the files in the existing themes(Blue or Gold).But it should be
done very wisely as a missing file could result to render Win2X useless...And it could also mess up the user experience if the specific structure of the image design is not followed.
For now, any seperate theme must be included to Win2X's coding...The reason I went through all this, is because as I stated before,any mistake in theme creation could mess Win2X up.What I'm thinking of right now is creating a theme tool so as any user can design and add his own theme...
The screen saver issue you stated is a bit weird though...Because as long as you execute any program,Win2X is unloaded from memory meaning that the screensaver process terminates aswell.I tested PicoDrive myself with screensaver on,and nothing happened(as expected).May I ask what fw do you use?

Back