Win2X : Alternative Frontend

milkawax said:
If someone interests , found out how to start the other apps in Win2X.

gph.gpu --view-music for mp3 player
gph.gpu --view-photo for photo viewer
gph.gpu --view-ebook for ebook reader
gph.gpu --view-flashgame for flash game player

and some more if needed

greets milk

forgot - rejump into win2x doesn't work for now from this apps...

Oh sweet HeyZeus, THANK YOU!!!!!
-DEJ

Last edited by a moderator:
chp said:
docterry said:
@CodeOfTheBenchpress: Thanks for the advice. But I've followed the manual's directions as well as yours. When I get the point of selecting a file, I press the "B" key. The explorer selection window goes away and brings me back to the Category window (e.g. "Emulators"), but the window is still totally blank! I can never get icons to populate the Category windows.
I'm drawing a blank. Grrr... I really want to use Win2X!
Well,I made some tests,but I really can't see why you come across with this.If you could give me some info:
1.Fw you use(not much of importance but just in case)
2.Location of your files
3.Have you installed Win2X or run it from an SD?
4.IMPORTANT:In case you run it from an SD,you should really check if your SD card has a write-protection switch on it and if it is on...

1) My info screen says:
Code:
   VERSION 1.1.0
   FIRMWARE Linux 2.6.24 Revision: 244
   MODEL GP2X-WIZ

2) I have unRAR'ed the files ("Win2X 1.1-0.rar" and "Win2X 1.1.1.rar") to my XP laptop, then used the USB cable to copy to the SD root (have not tried copying directly to the SD itself, if this is a file permissions problem?).

3) For each version I have tried, I have done "uninstall.gpe" first before then "install.gpe". It installs fine and reboots into Win2X, but no the same problem. It installs fine and will save preferences (e.g. change in wallpaper, brightness, etc). I have tried running from SD, but the same result as well.

4) I double checked and the SD card is not locked. But when I install to the Wiz, it shouldn't matter right?

Is there perhaps a requirement of some library or something that might have been installed to the OS by you wizards that I just haven't done yet? FWIW, I did try Gmenu2X, but like everyone else using fw1.1.0, only get a black screen.

Yeah , here is it , little Apps pack...

Start installer and look into Win2X apps folder...

Only for flash installed version of Win2X 1.1.0 or later.

100% Uninstaller included, not attachs any other file of Win2X or Wiz so no risk.

http://rapidshare.de/files/48933375/Funpack.rar.html

Hey docterry

Try to flash Firmware of wiz again, cannot be that Win2X not runs well.
There cannot be so big differeces in Wiz's that it doesn't work properly i think.

Use this Firmware:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,112

If this doesn't func' then to link files, try different sd card.
Or try my link pack i released some minutes before to test.
These links were copied directly to nand. They must be viewable
in the apps window of Win2X.

greets milk

This is evolving into something amazing... Nice contribution milkawax, very useful, thank you. About the crappy orange boot screen someone mentioned a few pages back, I'd like to find and replace that too. I'm very busy right now, and travelling in a few days so I really don't want to brick my wiz trying to fiddle with it, but surely its just some poxy GPH.png that could have a nice photo.png of my ugly face or something put in its place??? I hope so. Maybe I'll take a look sometime when I know I'll be able to fix it when I inevitably destroy the firmware.

CodeOfTheBenchPress said:
Yeah I'm operating on FMW 1.1, and version 1.1.0 of your program, I don't know why the program self terminated when the screen saver activated, but I just disable it before I start up an emulator, so its nothing major.
O yeah, and as far as skinning goes, I've gone through most of the changes to make it a personal desktop....I was just wondering about the windows...If you were to change how the windows look, would the exit button {X sprite} be in the same position?
Meaning if I were to change the entire outlook of the window, and placed the Symbols back in their same pixel position would it still register on the touch screen, or is a change in code needed.
Well,it's kind of strange...
Anyway,about the skins...Yes,you should preserve the responce areas as is...(eg The X button should be in the same position and size)

Neil L said:
Another few ideas:
1. Could the name of the chosen game/emulator etc. on the desktop be shown on the bar at the bottom of the screen next to the 'Win2X' box? This would be more room saving than having the names on the desktop. (There could still be an option to name them also)
2. Could the delete desktop shortcut key be moved to Select instead of X as I've deleted a few by mistake (the edit function in the game/emulators etc. menus is Select but X on the desktop???)
3. Could the orange start up & shut down screens be changed to something a bit prettier?

Cheers, Neil
1.Already done(next version)
2.Already done( -"-)
3.I'm looking to it right now...

I took a little test run with this. Here are a couple of my thoughts and suggestions. Your menu looks promising.

1. Im with the maximize the window crowd, use as much space as possible. If it the no man's land has to stay then maybe make a optional setting.
2. Change the gui buttons to represent what button activates them, a new user like myself has no idea what activates +
3. If an item is highlighted/selected let the clock speed be changed by vol up and vol down
4. If the space at the top isnt going to be used add another bar that can be like a task bar, so maybe more than one window can be open.
5. The win2x text in that start button is kind ugly to me, maybe its the font. I think that could improve.
6. Make the clock time bolder
7. Icon text looks blurry, is it just me?
8. Scroll items off one by one if a list extends in explorer, make it smoother and help with exploration in knowing where the user is
9. Is there an option to go back up a folder, ok looks left shoulder does. Can we add .. though at the top of the list?
10. Turn the cpu clock setter into a slide bar, not manual digit entry

Pickle said:
I took a little test run with this. Here are a couple of my thoughts and suggestions. Your menu looks promising.

1. Im with the maximize the window crowd, use as much space as possible. If it the no man's land has to stay then maybe make a optional setting.
2. Change the gui buttons to represent what button activates them, a new user like myself has no idea what activates +
3. If an item is highlighted/selected let the clock speed be changed by vol up and vol down
4. If the space at the top isnt going to be used add another bar that can be like a task bar, so maybe more than one window can be open.
5. The win2x text in that start button is kind ugly to me, maybe its the font. I think that could improve.
6. Make the clock time bolder
7. Icon text looks blurry, is it just me?
8. Scroll items off one by one if a list extends in explorer, make it smoother and help with exploration in knowing where the user is
9. Is there an option to go back up a folder, ok looks left shoulder does. Can we add .. though at the top of the list?
10. Turn the cpu clock setter into a slide bar, not manual digit entry
Thank you Pickle for your suggestions!Although these are minor right now:
1.As I stated to another user before(DaveC) the gain would be 6-7 icons.I like it this way and the other users do aswell.Except that, window form helps in viewing the desktop(eg. when changing the wallpaper or selecting custom icons, the result is displayed instantly)
2.That would be ugly in my opinion.That's why I wrote some basic documentation explaining every control key
3.Reminds me of GMenu2X...
4.Reminds me of GMenu2X...
5.You are right about that.I did want to make a nicer start button too...
6.Alreay done(next version).
7.Already fixed(next version).
8.That would make it a pain,for a large file list to reach to the bottom...Viewing by pages is not wrong...Just another aspect of view..
9.The filesystem ".." was implemented in the first version but it is recognized as a special folder(like ".") and causes break-ups to the path..
10.Hmmm...
Anyway,thanks for your time and your statements!

chp said:
8.That would make it a pain,for a large file list to reach to the bottom...Viewing by pages is not wrong...Just another aspect of view..
9.The filesystem ".." was implemented in the first version but it is recognized as a special folder(like ".") and causes break-ups to the path..

8 maybe then show page of pages? 1 of 2
9 i dont really get your reason, why would .. ever get into a path. Dont make it selectable as path and when it goes backward you reset the path just like the left shoulder does.

Installing the newly released "Candy Theme" underneath this makes the original wiz menu blend in (as in look much more part of the same overall system) with Win2x a lot better.. just thought I'd let you know in case you want to try. I took the precaution of uninstalling win2x, installing candy theme then reinstalling Win2x, I like the result.

milkawax said:
Hey docterry

Try to flash Firmware of wiz again, cannot be that Win2X not runs well.
There cannot be so big differeces in Wiz's that it doesn't work properly i think.

Use this Firmware:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,112

If this doesn't func' then to link files, try different sd card.
Or try my link pack i released some minutes before to test.
These links were copied directly to nand. They must be viewable
in the apps window of Win2X.

greets milk

Sigh. Must be something about my particular box.

I reflashed the ROM, downgraded to the official rev.222 (from rev.244) --> no luck.

Tried milkawax's links --> nothing. I only have 2 folders in nand (flash and game), and no links were copied there.

Have not tried a different SD, but it seems fine for everything else (is a Sandisk 4gb SDHC). And, yes, I checked to see that the write-protect is not set.

I guess no Win2X for me. :( At least everything else seems to work (esp after the "upgrage"), so I can't really complain. I just wish I could make it work, better.

Sigh.

I have to say, I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions (even though nothing has worked for me...yet!).

This is exactly the sort of community I remember from my Amiga (1000, 500, and 2000HD) days, and the reason it was so hard for me to give it up for a PC.

Hey docterry,

Sorry about your failures.

If you started the explorer , then go back in Wiz nand
with big L button of your WIZ. Then you can have a look
into Wiz's nand structure. Then scroll for usr path and
then for the gp2x path. In there must be the links path
and a few other files and pathes.

Have a look into what you see...

milkawax said:
Hey docterry,

Sorry about your failures.

If you started the explorer , then go back in Wiz nand
with big L button of your WIZ. Then you can have a look
into Wiz's nand structure. Then scroll for usr path and
then for the gp2x path. In there must be the links path
and a few other files and pathes.

Have a look into what you see...

Well this is interesting.

Under /mnt/nand, I only have "flash" and "game".

Under /usr/bin/gp2x, the "links" directory is empty.

After running your links installer, the directory is still empty.

Does this sound right?

docterry said:

Does this sound right?

Thats definitly wrong , there must be a bug in your wiz or something...
Maybe your nand is broken or anything.
Can you copy files to /mnt/nand directory over pc cable?
Does they work if you run them?

milkawax said:
docterry said:

Does this sound right?

Thats definitly wrong , there must be a bug in your wiz or something...
Maybe your nand is broken or anything.
Can you copy files to /mnt/nand directory over pc cable?
Does they work if you run them?

Yes, able to copy to nand over USB cable. And games seem to work.

I accidentally said that gp2x was in /usr/bin. It is /usr/gp2x. However, the "links" directory is still empty. The "apps" directory contains the *.gpe and *.png for "LineDraw", "FlashVideo", "Music", "FlashGame", "Ebook", and "Photo". There is a file "TCPMP.png", but no accompanying gpe. Bummer. I loved TCPMP on my Palm.

Pickle said:
chp said:

8 maybe then show page of pages? 1 of 2
9 i dont really get your reason, why would .. ever get into a path. Dont make it selectable as path and when it goes backward you reset the path just like the left shoulder does.
8.That is a nice suggestion!I already implemented it in the explorer!
9.Well,the reason is that I must treat it as a special folder wich gives me the nerves.Otherwise you are right.It can be included.And even without
any reset to the path.I just thought that removing .. would give a nicer,cleaner result to the explorer list.Anyway if you like it,and the other users
do aswell,I'll include it...

docterry said:
Yes, able to copy to nand over USB cable. And games seem to work.

I accidentally said that gp2x was in /usr/bin. It is /usr/gp2x. However, the "links" directory is still empty. The "apps" directory contains the *.gpe and *.png for "LineDraw", "FlashVideo", "Music", "FlashGame", "Ebook", and "Photo". There is a file "TCPMP.png", but no accompanying gpe. Bummer. I loved TCPMP on my Palm.

We are going to get a bit closer to the problem...

If you are in explorer of Wiz go to /usr/gp2x dir and delete links and apps folder.
You can delete them with select button of wiz then you see delete / rename...
Then put Win2X 1.1.1 to your sd and my funpack.
Run first uninstall win2x then install.
Then for test my installer of funpack.

Then go into browser again and look into links folder in nand
/usr/gp2x/links/apps for example and say what you see...

I modified this version to make the folders in links if not avail
Run testinstall.gpe after installing Win2X

http://rapidshare.de/files/48934396/milkawax.rar.html

After this there should be these folders

/usr/gp2x/links/apps
/usr/gp2x/links/emus
/usr/gp2x/links/games
/usr/gp2x/links/ports

and in the /usr/gp2x/links/apps folder must be some link files.

Some nice walls for Win2x.

http://rapidshare.de/files/48934465/Win2X-Wallpaper.rar.html

I love this menu! It is far better than the stock launcher! A suggestion for the next release is, could you add a INI importer? I know you said that the data files will be compatible through all new releases, but there may be many people who have billions of INI files and they would have to add all of their programs again.
Additionally, it would be great if you added a quick Notepad-like text editor with a QWERTY keyboard, as WizWrite is proving quite annoying to use.

Back