Will you use the Pyra as a phone?

Will you use your Pyra instead of your phone?

• No, never

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 43.0%
  • Yes, always

Votes: 39 28.9%

• Total voters

I'm not quite sure if i'd replace my iPhone with the Pyra, although I am getting the 4G version. I think i'd be able to preserve my phone battery a lot more with the Pyra though given that I can move a few essential services like E-mail, Social Networking and perhaps pushing news of interest to it. I'd likely download a lot of youtube videos to the Pyra whilst on Wi-Fi.

I'd still rely on my phone for Navigation unless someone comes up with an excellent solution for the Pyra.

Not at all, I have no intention of even getting the Cellular Version. Here in the US atleast, you usually get screwed on Phones plans if you go with AT&T or Verizon. The only reasonable option is to Get one of them Pre-Paid services for only $35 a month, but even that cannot be justified by me considering just about everywhere I go either has a free WiFi hotspot, or I could just use my Phone as a Hotspot. Phone service is too expensive in my opinion on a non-essential device in my opinion. Maybe in the years to come where Unlimited data is ~$10-$15 a month.

@Asaggynoodle I only pay around $10 most months. I don't usually make calls, and haven't used data in a long time. My plan isn't prepaid. It is on a sliding scale for how much I use of each service, and it is only that price because of what I use.

I think I remember seeing some decent plans from other companies if you mostly use data, but I have no real need for it (if I do need it for something I just pay a little more that month), and I don't think using data is what was meant by the question. I have been avoiding the big companies and sticking with MVNOs for the last 4 years or so.

after moving to and from Europe, i realize how much Americans waste on phone plans.

i go with a $3/month Tmobile plan, including 30 min or texts, and $0.10 each after that. that's still not as good as what i had in europe (i only had to top up every 6 months ;)).

of course, i don't use my phone heavily, and i can survive without internet when i'm out.

@Asaggynoodle I only pay around $10 most months. I don't usually make calls, and haven't used data in a long time. My plan isn't prepaid. It is on a sliding scale for how much I use of each service, and it is only that price because of what I use.

I think I remember seeing some decent plans from other companies if you mostly use data, but I have no real need for it (if I do need it for something I just pay a little more that month), and I don't think using data is what was meant by the question. I have been avoiding the big companies and sticking with MVNOs for the last 4 years or so.

after moving to and from Europe, i realize how much Americans waste on phone plans.

i go with a $3/month Tmobile plan, including 30 min or texts, and $0.10 each after that. that's still not as good as what i had in europe (i only had to top up every 6 months ;)).

of course, i don't use my phone heavily, and i can survive without internet when i'm out.

You're both totally correct. Before we ditched Verizon we ended up having to pay a cancellation fee of ~$350 (Been with them for ~15 Years). I've been in the Comcast/Verizon (They are one Company where I live) and people have bills that are ~$450 or so. I nearly had a stroke when I did the math how much that had to cost annually. I don't even pay that much for my Car. Although Internet speeds are coming along very nicely in my area, Comcast is even offering a 2.5Gb/s package (albeit $300 a month) for residential homes. Even the WiFi at my University is around ~750Mb/s Down. Which is quite amazing, as I remember only a few years ago 10Mb/s was considered pretty high over here.

This clearly Varies Area to Area, just as with Phone Service.

I'm not quite sure if i'd replace my iPhone with the Pyra, although I am getting the 4G version. I think i'd be able to preserve my phone battery a lot more with the Pyra though given that I can move a few essential services like E-mail, Social Networking and perhaps pushing news of interest to it. I'd likely download a lot of youtube videos to the Pyra whilst on Wi-Fi.

I'd still rely on my phone for Navigation unless someone comes up with an excellent solution for the Pyra.

With the built in GPS in the 4G model and Modrana already on the repo, navigation should be pretty plug and play. I used modrana on my N900, searching for addresses is a pain in the ass, but it does work pretty well

With the built in GPS in the 4G model and Modrana already on the repo, navigation should be pretty plug and play. I used modrana on my N900, searching for addresses is a pain in the ass, but it does work pretty well

Unless there's a way to integrate the Apple Watch then i'm really not interested :p

To answer the topic's question, I found out about this project after searching for a linux phone for a long time. I've got one android phone and disliked it the very first day ("Please enter your google account credentials" - "WTF?"). I'm quite sensibel when it comes to registering my communication device with opaque OS (at least to me it is) with a data kraken.
I thought about giving Jolla a try whenever they come up with a new phone, which I think would be nice. But a palm top pc phone, that'll be awesome. :)

I avoided voting, because my use-case is not covered/ question is kinda unsharp.
Here is my view instead:
- I own no smartphone at all (annoyance and tracking as reason)
- That's the main reason I want a Pyra
- I will use it as laptop and even desktop replacement in most cases
- I rarely be available by phone on the road anyway (I state to be TOO important to be available at all time :). That's a nice one BTW, 'cause people don't get it)
- But I won't mind to be able to do phonecalls with the Pyra (which I do at the moment with my ancient Motorola V66i).

"My other computer" will be an Novena soon. And I still have to figure out, if I#m forced to have some PC with more graphic power for mechanical CAD, tought

So instead of my phone doesn't fit for me as some forum members mentioned.

Back