Will you use the Pyra as a phone?

Will you use your Pyra instead of your phone?

• No, never

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 43.0%
  • Yes, always

Votes: 39 28.9%

• Total voters

Yes, but the feature phone can't replace the Pyra while the smartphone can pretty much do it.
That doesn't matter. You didn't ask if they would take just the phone. If the choices are between carrying both or carrying just the Pyra, there is absolutely no reason why carrying both could not include carrying a feature phone.

-God Ginrai

To all the people who want Pyra to be a phone or a media player or a tablet or a netbook or a Xperia 2 or N9002 :

The main use of the Pyra will still be gaming - and speakers making sound sideways are sending the audio in a completely wrong direction when playing, so you would sacrifice the sound quality for gaming to improve it when using it as a closed media player.
Not sure many people want that...
You can make 1000 polls and 1000 more when you don't like the results but the main use of the Pyra will still be gaming.

If you want a cool open source smartphone with gaming controls try to convince the Neo900 people to add gaming controls, it already has a keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't ask if they would take just the phone.
???

Thinking about it, I don't see the reason why I didn't include all the phones, maybe it's because I ate two pizza and can't think properly to remember why I did it or maybe it's because I had my argumentation of the other thread about the fact it's weird to carry Pyra+smartphone when I maked that poll, but since I maked a special section for "Reason(s) why you will keep using the phone" there is no reason to make it specific to smartphone.

I will change smartphone to "phones" since it changes nothing.

To all the people who want Pyra to be a phone or a media player or a tablet or a netbook or a Xperia 2 or N9002 :

The main use of the Pyra will still be gaming - and speakers making sound sideways are sending the audio in a completely wrong direction when playing, so you would sacrifice the sound quality for gaming to improve it when using it as a closed media player.

Not sure many people want that...
You can make 1000 polls and 1000 more when you don't like the results but the main use of the Pyra will still be gaming.

If you want a cool open source smartphone with gaming controls try to convince the Neo900 people to add gaming controls, it already has a keyboard.
???

The main use is what you do with.

It's not about making it be a phone, it's about making it more than a gaming console, more than a phone, more than everything. Nobody want to call it a phone, you still can call it a futuristic game console or whatever.

"Reason(s) why you will keep using the phone:" is missing my option too, "I won't."  Kind of a pretty assuming question to be required in the poll.

What exactly are you hoping to get out of this anyway? What do you want the data to point to?

There is no way to not choose a "

If you keep using a phone... reason(s) why you will use it:"
option

"Reason(s) why you will keep using the phone:" is missing my option too, "I won't."  Kind of a pretty assuming question to be required in the poll.
There is no way to not choose a "

If you keep using a phone... reason(s) why you will use it:"
option
Added "I won't"

I chose "sometimes" . I wanted to say always, but with the possibly need of a headset and the lack of a camera, I can't.

I can get over the headset thing for now, but that lack of a camera is bothersome.

I've never had Pandora (or any other handheld console) in my hands, but I think that it is not the bulkiness of Pyra what would stop me from using it as a smartphone.

I have some doubts that I'll be able to comfortably read on pyra, especially while riding on a crowded bus.

I also think that using a "shopping list" app on pyra wouldn't really make sense to me (having to open the device every time I want to check what's next on the list seems too troublesome).

On the other hand, selecting neo900 instead of pyra will have more drawbacks.

So I guess that for me a reason for still using a smartphone is pyra's form factor.

I don't think this was 100% confirmed but will the Pyra be able to be used as a phone? I mean I know it is possible, but will it be possible with the sim card? I use verizon, and they don't use sim cards. Would I just need to set up a new line with a different service provider?. And since I am on the topic of sim cards, does anyone know what service ED plans to use? (at&t, tmobile etc?).

I don't think this was 100% confirmed but will the Pyra be able to be used as a phone? I mean I know it is possible, but will it be possible with the sim card? I use verizon, and they don't use sim cards. Would I just need to set up a new line with a different service provider?. And since I am on the topic of sim cards, does anyone know what service ED plans to use? (at&t, tmobile etc?).
ED wrote that they also licensed the voice part with the 3G module. It won't be bound to a carrier/cellphone provider as there won't be any interest from them. Be aware though that the module will only be usable in cellphone networks that support GSM.

ED wrote that they also licensed the voice part with the 3G module. It won't be bound to a carrier/cellphone provider as there won't be any interest from them. Be aware though that the module will only be usable in cellphone networks that support GSM.
Right, and normally is the case with these things. I remember it was a similar issue with Apple and iphones for a while. In fact, when the iPhone was finally being released for Verizon, the early models had sim cards. Anyways, bottom line is, Verizon will not be supported, which is not a big deal to me since I didn't really plan to use it as a phone, but if I was able to, maybe I would had tried it out...mayeb :)

Be aware though that the module will only be usable in cellphone networks that support GSM.
In addition to no CDMA support, the GSM support does not cover the full spectrum of what's currently available, just most of it. When the Pyra is finally available, check your carrier's band against the PHS8 Datasheet to ensure you can use it.

That. Worries me. One of the things I looking forward to the pyra was basically a mobile untethered computer which I could use to text my girlfriend ( depending on realse date, wife) however from the sounds if it USA support seems quite low .. this bothers me since I do live in a more rural area where theres tower access but no high speed internet. If the pyra is knee capped in the states.. then the major advantage of the pyra is gone for me, and I'll have trouble justifying the close to 1k usd pricetag .

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Who's your carrier right now? What options in your area would you be comfortable with?

Back