Will There Be Any More Progress With Snes Emulation...?

Squidge said:
DaveC said:
For one SNES is no where full speed with all effects. Yes you can crap down the sound quality, get rid of rasters, lose the transparencies and skip every three frames now while overclocking as far as you can to get something that is kind of like a SNES. But with this new hardware you can get all effects, good sound, 60 FPS, full speed. Right now SNES is good on some games, others are too slow. With the new they all should run very good, if not near perfect.
.... Before you say "Before you tested and said..." I did, but that was without transparency. Remember that some games on the 2x run at about 18 fps, so even if the new processor doubles that, it's still not going to be anywhere near 60 fps for a lot of games.

Cheater :p

Well the new system is supposed to have the faster CPU, faster memory, maybe a second core that is actually useful for more things etc. If it actually was 2X faster than the GP2X then that would be pretty good anyway. Since we don't even know what SoC is going to be used etc I guess speculation at this point is kind of pointless then. I guess wait and see and hope something improved pops out on the GP2X until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Squidge said:
DaveC said:
For one SNES is no where full speed with all effects. Yes you can crap down the sound quality, get rid of rasters, lose the transparencies and skip every three frames now while overclocking as far as you can to get something that is kind of like a SNES. But with this new hardware you can get all effects, good sound, 60 FPS, full speed. Right now SNES is good on some games, others are too slow. With the new they all should run very good, if not near perfect.
Right, shall we squash this before the new hardware comes out and your disappointed and moaning on the forums? Yes, it's possible, but it's not likely to happen with the existing code base. Before you say "Before you tested and said..." I did, but that was without transparency. Remember that some games on the 2x run at about 18 fps, so even if the new processor doubles that, it's still not going to be anywhere near 60 fps for a lot of games.

If the next handheld can't do fullspeed SNES (not counting games with special chips) with no frameskip and all the effects then I'll throw a fit and try to optimize it, I don't play SNES on handhelds but that would just be ridiculous.

Hopefully I'll be able to make the same statement for GBA too :/

nice, im glad you'll throw the fit so i dont have to, if there is a fit to be thrown when it comes out that is :p

Squidge said:
More like a "maybe".
squidge... what do you need... do you need some girls hook you up down there while u program?!?! ahahaha, anything but money my friend! broker than shit and u can thank america's government for screwing me over! and im american! shady, ahahah but besides that, please... anything at all... :D

MajorShake said:
squidge... what do you need... do you need some girls hook you up down there while u program?!?!
I wouldn't mind, as long as they don't appear on fugly.com :D

Squidge said:
MajorShake said:
squidge... what do you need... do you need some girls hook you up down there while u program?!?!
I wouldn't mind, as long as they don't appear on fugly.com :D

hahah definitely not. if someone offered to bring some girls, and sent over the fugly bunch.. id be pretty pissed, i imagine you would be too, no? hahaha :p

hey i just wanted to say that i think this thread is funny because it just so happens that my favorite ps2 game at the moment is the megaman x collection lol... and if the gp2x had a good snes emulator i'd probably buy it immediately.
SNES games have a lot of replayability.

Back