Will There Be Any More Progress With Snes Emulation...?

Website
rememberthe8bit.blogspot.com
With all this talk floating about with this new machine and all, I was wondering; will there be any more development on the SNES emulation front? I'd like for there to be more, but I don't really care one way or the other. I'd just like to know if anyone is doing anything. I didn't start this thread to whine about the current emulators, I like them a lot. I was just wondering, because Squidge has thrown up some hints that he's working on his emulator. I find it rather funny that the PSX emulator gets more updates, even though it's not at the state SNES is at the moment, but, who am I to complain...? Developers will do what they want... :p

rememberthe8bit said:
With all this talk floating about with this new machine and all, I was wondering; will there be any more development on the SNES emulation front? I'd like for there to be more, but I don't really care one way or the other. I'd just like to know if anyone is doing anything. I didn't start this thread to whine about the current emulators, I like them a lot. I was just wondering, because Squidge has thrown up some hints that he's working on his emulator. I find it rather funny that the PSX emulator gets more updates, even though it's not at the state SNES is at the moment, but, who am I to complain...? Developers will do what they want... :p
Stole the words right out of my mouth :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares about SNES, when there's PSX? I understand that old-schoolers prefer--well older games, but aren't psx games physically more advanced than snes games and are therefore more desirable?

Old school gamers don't care if games are "more advanced" - that's entirely not the point. That's why we're interested in games for consoles such as SNES and other less capable machines.

As much as I like Playstation 1 games, I'd still love to see a kick-arse SNES emulator.

not to bash the playstation but I would rather play snes any day and I dont consider my self an "old-schooler"(is 20 really that old?). I mean my friends have more fun playing snes on their ps2 than playing ps2 games. I really don't think being technically advanced is what makes a game desirable

dpoarch said:
not to bash the playstation but I would rather play snes any day and I dont consider my self an "old-schooler"(is 20 really that old?). I mean my friends have more fun playing snes on their ps2 than playing ps2 games. I really don't think being technically advanced is what makes a game desirable
I agree. And hope its gets further development and games like Star Ocean and Super Mario RPG fully playable.
Personally I love Snes best of all consoles and even use my ps2 for sole purpose of running Snes Station :)

RockOut said:
Who cares about SNES, when there's PSX? I understand that old-schoolers prefer--well older games, but aren't psx games physically more advanced than snes games and are therefore more desirable?
Assuming we are talking about the GP2X I would rather have full speed SNES than 1/2 speed PSX with skippy sound and eating up 1/4 of an SD card ;) PSX is better suited for the next hardware that will handle it better, not the GP2X. Even at that I am not mental about PSX anyway. If I was, the PSP is already fullspeed for that.

aren't psx games physically more advanced than snes games and are therefore more desirable

...and there's the current horribly-wrong state of the gaming world right there.

And what a remarkably odd thing to say on a forum devoted to a handheld console almost totally devoted (gaming-wise) to retro goodness.

I couldn't give a crap about how good a good looks, or how "technically advanced" it is. I'm all for game play and some of the older consoles like snes concentrate on that rather than graphics. You can't beat a bit of Donkey Kong Country !

slaanesh said:
Old school gamers don't care if games are "more advanced" - that's entirely not the point. That's why we're interested in games for consoles such as SNES and other less capable machines.

As much as I like Playstation 1 games, I'd still love to see a kick-arse SNES emulator.
I totally agree with this person, yea, psx has games i love, but honestly, final fantasy III and chrono trigger are my fav games, and they are snes games, and even with its lesser graphics, the story has had me play through countless times, and i mean who doesnt want close to fullspeed with yoshi's island, or for that matter the whole super mario world collection, i mean come on, CLASSICS!

its late so i tend to rant on and on :ph34r:

Squidge said:
I couldn't give a crap about how good a good looks, or how "technically advanced" it is. I'm all for game play and some of the older consoles like snes concentrate on that rather than graphics. You can't beat a bit of Donkey Kong Country !
Funny you say that, isn't dk one of the most graphically advanced snes titles? :)
But i agree, dk is awesome, i played it for ages when it came out.

RockOut said:
In a word, no. I couldn't care less if the PSX emulator never even existed.

RockOut said:
My dream is to play snes secret of mana with full transparencies, full speed with full sound :D

I hope emulation development for the already very good snes emus continues :)

It's a case of two different desires...
The geek in me appreciates the effort into trying to get PSX running on the GP2X... and even it ran piss poorly I'd appreciate some extreme emulation attempts like.... er DreamCast or something :p

With SNES, it's the games all the way. I'd like for the emulator to be a close to perfect as possible and just enjoy some of the finer years in gaming so far.

Back