What's the difference (in performance) between Pandora 600MHz and 1GHz models?

GoldenSun3DS

Few questions:

1. Can the Pandora Rebirth (600MHz, 512MB RAM) run N64 and Playstation emulation at full speed?

2. Can the Pandora Rebirth (600MHz, 512MB RAM) run Playstation emulation with maximum enhanced resolution (at least up to the Pandora's resolution) and textures (like how ePSXe does it) at full speed?

3. If #2 is no, can the 1GHz model do it?

4. Does Netflix work well on the Pandora? If so, what's the difference between running Netflix on the 600MHz and 1GHz models?

Netflix is the only "no" among your questions. It doesnt really run on the 600mhz version because Android is too power-consuming

Actually I run Netflix all the time on my rebirth(600mhz) model with no issues .. just need to overclock it to 900-1Ghz  the old CC units have an issue due to only having 256MB of DRAM.

Almost all 600 Mhz units can OC to 900 Mhz in OPP5 mode.

Edit:

N64 emulation is great or bad on all units depending on the game and this is on both 600mhz and 1Ghz. the 1Ghz unit does help a little bit. The emulator needs some developer love..

PSX I've had no issues on double resolution on all the games I have on my 600Mhz unit and at full speed with minimal OC. We have the best PSX emulator in the mobile market period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few questions:

1. Can the Pandora Rebirth (600MHz, 512MB RAM) run N64 and Playstation emulation at full speed?
PS1 probably for the most part. From what I understand some N64 games benefit from more MHz.

2. Can the Pandora Rebirth (600MHz, 512MB RAM) run Playstation emulation with maximum enhanced resolution (at least up to the Pandora's resolution) and textures (like how ePSXe does it) at full speed?
The PS1 emulator doesn't use hardware rendering to begin with. It does have a mode where it software renders at 4x the normal resolution. That won't quite be 800x480, but you really don't want it to be because that'll distort the aspect ratio. AFAIK 600MHz units will usually not run this without frameskipping but I haven't personally tested it. And AFAIK the 1GHz units usually can but not always.

Does overclocking the system damage it over time?

I've heard that overclocking can damage CPUs so that they don't last as long as they would if you hadn't overclocked.

Actually I run Netflix all the time on my rebirth(600mhz) model with no issues .. just need to overclock it to 900-1Ghz  the old CC units have an issue due to only having 256MB of DRAM.
Should note that this is in Android, there's no native Netflix client for the Pandora.Or is there? Have you been hiding things?

Does overclocking the system damage it over time?

I've heard that overclocking can damage CPUs so that they don't last as long as they would if you hadn't overclocked.
Technically yes. The problem with overclocking is that it produces more heat and the excess heat basically causes things to break down faster. Really it isn't overclocking that causes problems, it is overvolting: need to add more electricity to the chip in order to remain stable at higher clock speeds and that extra voltage can cause damage.In reality, at stock voltage, the CPU is rated to last for 20 years of continuous use. That means that TI estimates that if you had it running non-stop at standard speed it would last for 20 years. At high voltages, TI estimates only about 5 years of continuous use. On the one hand, that's a huge drop. On the other hand, that assumes continuous use, and at least in theory you need to sleep sometime, so absolute worst case scenario should see you get at least 7 years of use out of it, overclocked gaming 16 hours a day.

In more relative terms, the LCD or battery is more likely to die before the CPU due to overclocking. Don't worry about it.

N64 emulation
The N64 uses the GPU. Ghz gpu = 200 mhz, rebirth gpu = 110 mhz. Same for the RAM speed. GPU applications like N64 are faster on the ghz edition. Same for games like lugaru, astromenca and super tux car. Jedi Knight 2 and Freespace 2 are maybe fast enough on rebirth units.

There is a large/noticeable difference between games that were slow on the original.. Tux racer was unplayable for example.

Things are always be optimised for the rebirths, the PCSX-ReARMed is an excellent piece of software and works wonderful on the rebirth.

The 1Ghz is a new soc, faster CPU/faster GPU... overclocks to 1.2Ghz without an issue.... id recommend always aiming for the 1Ghz

Couldn't read through the whole thread as my time is limited today.

Here my answer.

N64 is better on Giga.

Psx runs  on both.

High res PSX runs on Giga.

The only game that's not fullspeed on the Giga wiht High res renderer is: Star Wars: Jedi power battles.

(At least the one I know. I have about 40-50 Games).

DraStic, for one, runs way better on the 1Ghz than the Rebirth. 

Couldn't read through the whole thread as my time is limited today.

Here my answer.

N64 is better on Giga.

Psx runs  on both.

High res PSX runs on Giga.

The only game that's not fullspeed on the Giga wiht High res renderer is: Star Wars: Jedi power battles.

(At least the one I know. I have about 40-50 Games).
There's many more games not running full speed at high res renderer. You can see frames being dropped if you have a good eye. You lose FPS for sure. 

Back