Will the Pandora become Open?

I'm wondering if and when the Pandora will become truly open-source hardware, like the Arduino. Maybe after OPT are done producing them, they could release the board designs on the website.

I've asked this in the past and Mweston promised to provide (within reason) assistance to anyone interfacing with the hardware and the hackers manual does not cut it.

With the hackers manual there is as such not a real advantage *now* to have the full schematics (or PCB layout) as long as Mweston is around.

From modder point of view I think having someone like Mweston helping you out (if needed) is something you just cannot put $$ on.

It would be indeed nice however that if OP ever stops producing the Pandora they would release the schematics and pcb files, on the other side I hope this will still be while before this happens and they sell a lot :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
If they use the iD Software approach I would be fine with it.. Which sum it up they open source there previous technology once the new iteration of technology comes out.. think they also take in consideration if they're still making profit on old tech.

Truthfully I think the PCB design shouldn't be published until they stop producing the first gen Pandora.. this keeps China from creating cheap nock-offs for a while.

Now there is absolutely no mysteries to the components of the Pandora, each chip is very well documented and a person with a decent amount of electronics experience can figure out how it works. So hardware hackers can still have fun with the Pandora, especially how the PCB is designed with extra solder points that make things easy to hack. I hope Further additions to the hacker manual will continue..

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I remembered reading many moons ago a sort of kinda official not exactly promise that once the Pandora 1 had sold as many units as it was going to and they were either going to throw in the towel or move on to the Pandora 2 that those who wanted the hardware information might be allowed to have it. this was long ago and who knows if it was ever officially decided.

I guess If MWeston is willing to help out people without having to give away the whole farm, it may never be necessary. If memory serves it was said with a "Once we no longer have anything to lose by giving that information out, there should be no problem" but no promises. With this community, I'm sure once the original Pandora has run it's course there won't be anyone sitting around pining for the info, but you never know I guess.

Back