Will the 1ghz units replace the standard model in the future?

Since the chip is soldered to the PCB, and then has a RAM/NAND-chip soldered on top of it, replacing it manually is problematic at the very least. Especially since both have a very fine-pitched BGA-package.
for, sure It require really advanced tooling and knowledge and even there excpect a high failure rate... I was just meaning that foxgod was wrong (I think) the same PCB could be used...

As far as i understood, it was not possible to use as a drop in, otherwise they wouldnt use a new pcb, and they woulnt need a test run on the new pcb's either.

Since the chip is soldered to the PCB, and then has a RAM/NAND-chip soldered on top of it, replacing it manually is problematic at the very least. Especially since both have a very fine-pitched BGA-package.
for, sure It require really advanced tooling and knowledge and even there excpect a high failure rate... I was just meaning that foxgod was wrong (I think) the same PCB could be used...

As far as i understood, it was not possible to use as a drop in, otherwise they wouldnt use a new pcb, and they woulnt need a test run on the new pcb's either.

I understood exactly the countrary, and the population test is needed as the chip has not the same phisical property, it's thinner and more flexible leading to potential problem with population... I might obviously be mistaken through...

Even if you could use the old design, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to try to come up with a better design, especially one of the new ones ends up working.

The team bought a carbon printer for the panda2, this will help them to experiment with designs, they are also planning to create the panda2 with aluminium parts.

Sweet. If we completely encase the parts in aluminium, then we can simultaneously burn ourselves & the components equally. Victory!

But, seriously, I don't really see aluminium being useful except to reinforce the casing some. That could be helpful, since the Pandora doesn't come off as a system that can take much physical abuse. Just as long as they don't make a completely aluminium case.

Last edited by a moderator:
and they woulnt need a test run on the new pcb's either.
The test run is needed because the PCB of the SoC is different (other material?) and much harder to position and to solder properly on the main PCB, the machines simply have to be adjusted from scratch.

Do you guys think that the 1GHzs might eventually lower to a price like 160 USD? I know for a fact that the hardware in those wouldn't cost $700 to make if there were more buyers and investors.

Some serious funding would help, but not to that $160 sale price for a unit extent since it would need a demand far greater than what exists(it's honestly a thing to hard sell) & the parts would have to get considerably cheaper(which there is a limit to how low that can get even in bulk).

Hell, I nearly didn't get one and ultimately ended up getting a 2nd hand model just to save money and I'm someone who honestly sees the potential & seriously wants to see this project/company take off to become something glorious. Imagine trying to sell random person off the street on a pocket linux pc that primarily emulates old games(something their laptop/netbook, PSP, or even cell phone can do). It has to be supremely awesome to compete with a name brand like the PSP & that requires a great support network as well which Linux(especially the ARM processor branch) just doesn't quite have(more money helps, but it goes beyond that)

Do you guys think that the 1GHzs might eventually lower to a price like 160 USD? I know for a fact that the hardware in those wouldn't cost $700 to make if there were more buyers and investors.

Never going to happen.

If you want a $160 handheld look towards cheap chinese Android systems.

Never going to happen.

If you want a $160 handheld look towards cheap chinese Android systems.
And then be sad & not surprised when it's slow & rubbish. Seriously, worthwhile things cost money.

Though, to be fair, it's not impossible for the 1GHz Pandora to drop to $160. I'd imagine it's possible for it to be that much in 20 years.

I have a Caanoo for 100$ which works fine me. A few PSX games work well, most SNES and old Sega games too. Slower then android devices but often better quality gaming controlls.

For 250$+ you may get one of the old units (maybe a unit which some problems, like no wlan or a "singing" cpu (some high pitched noises)).

You will certainly be able to get older units (which may well overclock to 1Ghz, but it won't be as fast as the actual 1Ghz units) for ~ $300.

Does look like it has potential. Comparable specs to first pandora. The mini-HDMI port is a nice touch. Pity the OpenPandora couldn't come with that instead of of the proprietary component out port what comes with no cable(though I hate to imagine the nightmare that would've been required to make it work).

Pandora's TV-out isn't even component, it's luma + chroma.

Ah, thank you. I do get those confused. That'll help me in my idea to make a VGA output for my Pandora so I can hook it up to my monitor. I found some converter schematics. I just need the stuff & schematics for the video out cable & I should be set. Wait, what's "luma + chroma"?

EDIT: And will that make VGA conversion easier or harder?

Back