Will Pandora's Mame Port Match The Mame Project Versions?

Version 0.37b5 of MAME is fine i think, most newer games (such as the unsupported NeoGeo ones) are best played on dedicated eumus anyway. I just hope it will also support romsets that are made for the current MAME versions, on the GP2X i had some frustrating times with clrmame.

craigix said:
So it should be exciting times ahead for all of us, and we will of course sell the Pandora, the new GP2X and the Icontrolpad (and open source phones if anyone will let us!).
What? a new GP2X? Did i miss something? Could someone please post a link with some info?

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
God Ginrai said:
The Pandora will be $330. But it will only be 212 euros. That's the current prices on the site. Doesn't anybody read these things?

No, actually no one does read the openpandora.org website because it's horribly outdated and never updated - other than the bimonthly post to the blog.

And the prices on the site are as follows: QUOTE
How much will it cost?
Around £199 (inc VAT), $330, Euro212 (Ex.VAT).
So the €212 price is actually lower than the final price to Europeans, since that "excludes the VAT" - which, from what I understand, in needed. What is ironic to me is that despite the weak dollar, us USAmericans are getting the best price. :)
Whawhawhat????

How are ppl in the US getting the best deal? Are you nuts? Europeans outside of the UK are getting the best deal. They don't pay VAT. USA doesn't have to either, but the dollar is so weak so the price is so high for us.

But then again, we should look what $300 buys in consoles. XBOX 360 Premium is 179 pounds in UK, 269 Euros and $300 (prices taken from Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr). Considering it takes 270 Euros to buy a 360, 212 Euros for Pandora seems pretty good.

PolloLoco said:
Back onto the topic, I'm slightly disappointed that only 0.37 romsets will be ported on to Pandora's MAME.
Just as a matter of interest, why would you be disappointed with 0.37?
The three games you mention would most definitely run at full speed.

quadomatic said:
How are ppl in the US getting the best deal? Are you nuts? Europeans outside of the UK are getting the best deal. They don't pay VAT. USA doesn't have to either, but the dollar is so weak so the price is so high for us.
Check XE.com - €212 > $330. Not much more, mind you, but more. (A few pennies) But when I said that - I thought EUians had to pay VAT, too.

quadomatic said:
Europeans outside of the UK are getting the best deal. They don't pay VAT.
Most Europeans do pay VAT since it is a must for a country in the European Union :) The official site shows prices without taxes because each country can set its tax percentage inside a range. For example, in Spain we have a normal VAT of the 16%, and several reduced VATs for essential things. In the case of the Pandora, the VAT will be 16%.

chad78 said:
So the €212 price is actually lower than the final price to Europeans, since that "excludes the VAT" - which, from what I understand, in needed. What is ironic to me is that despite the weak dollar, us USAmericans are getting the best price. :)
it should be noted that depending on market conditions, we Canadians get the best price a couple times a week(muahahahahahaha!!!!)

19 % for Germany and don't know about inport taxes. As said before: I will wait till ED tells the official german price. :p

@ juanvvc: did you even read what GodGinai and I wrote? :rolleyes:

Fishbong said:
Version 0.37b5 of MAME is fine i think, most newer games (such as the unsupported NeoGeo ones) are best played on dedicated eumus anyway. I just hope it will also support romsets that are made for the current MAME versions, on the GP2X i had some frustrating times with clrmame.

craigix said:
So it should be exciting times ahead for all of us, and we will of course sell the Pandora, the new GP2X and the Icontrolpad (and open source phones if anyone will let us!).
What? a new GP2X? Did i miss something? Could someone please post a link with some info?

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118752

realyst said:
chad78 said:
it should be noted that depending on market conditions, we Canadians get the best price a couple times a week(muahahahahahaha!!!!)

Actually, I'd argue Canadians are getting the better deal regardless. The US dollar may be trading around parity right now, but we're paid on average 12% more (dollar for dollar) than the US. That actually gives us more buying power than our southern neighbors.

WizardStan said:
realyst said:
chad78 said:

Actually, I'd argue Canadians are getting the better deal regardless. The US dollar may be trading around parity right now, but we're paid on average 12% more (dollar for dollar) than the US. That actually gives us more buying power than our southern neighbors.

You're also paying quite a bit more for some consumer goods from back when the CDN$ was was worth a lot less.
To see what I mean, compare the Canadian and US prices on the back of a book.

PlopperZ said:
You're also paying quite a bit more for some consumer goods from back when the CDN$ was was worth a lot less.

You assume I'm dumb enough to buy my more pricey books by the ripoff monopoly known as Indigo/Coles/Chapters.

Amazon.com ships from Toronto(avoids duty fees) and charges American book price.

Also, my nearby comic shop does the same.

Pretty much anyone who isn't Indigo(read: asshats) are doing the same.

PlopperZ said:
Some things. A lot of things are only 10-15% more to account for the difference. And anything that's really worth it, big ticket things costing several thousand dollars (such as furniture or cars) are being given US price discounts. Books are a unique thing in that they're one of the few items which actually have the price printed on the product itself. I don't blame the Indigo chains, I blame the publishers for their inflexibility.

God Ginrai said:
The Pandora will be $330. But it will only be 212 euros. That's the current prices on the site. Doesn't anybody read these things?

-God Ginrai
Until preorders are taken I would say that the price of Pandora is not written in stone. I'm certain Craig will do his best to stick to his estimate but his cost could unpredictably rise. Everything else is.

DisgruntleElf said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Until preorders are taken I would say that the price of Pandora is not written in stone. I'm certain Craig will do his best to stick to his estimate but his cost could unpredictably rise. Everything else is.

Of course, but cost is not going to rise by any significant amount for one market without rising in the other markets.

-God Ginrai

WizardStan said:
Books are a unique thing in that they're one of the few items which actually have the price printed on the product itself. I don't blame the Indigo chains, I blame the publishers for their inflexibility.

Nonsense. That's the same reason Indigo themselves use, but the truth is it's a recommended retail price. While it is written on the cover, there's no obligation to sell at that price. This is why smaller bookstores can sell for cheaper or why bookstores(even Indigo) can have "sales" on books.

The covers were written for a 60 cent dollar. Indigo is buying them at parity and selling them at 1.40 for every dollar. They do this because, frankly, they own all the major bookstores in Canada(which all suck).

Every time a smaller bookstore closes I cry a bit for the realization that that's more business in the hand of Indigo who continue to cram Oprah and Dr Phil books, put the PSP strategy guides in the Computer Books section(which contains all of the "Vista for Dummies" versions but no goddamn text for anything else), sell at enormous markups, flaunt their "Canadian-ness" while delegating Canadian books in the back(Oprah and Phil at the front and Starbucks to the side) and running the most difficult to navigate bookstore website they could come up with.

Fishbong said:
There is no more info because GPH don't really want people to have any yet.

*Cracks whip* Back on topic! Talk about the financial markets needs to happen somewhere else. Interesting though it is, it certainly isn't anything whatsoever to do with Mame!

Further posts on that here will be hidden as and when I see them.

WizardStan said:
realyst said:
chad78 said:

If that's the case, us California's are getting the bestest deal ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_inc...Income_by_state

Couple the high household median income with the second highest PPP in the world (following Switzerland) and it's hard to argue we're losing out in any way :).

Orkie said:
Fishbong said:
There is no more info because GPH don't really want people to have any yet.

Apart from we all know and have known for ages it will use the pollux :)

Oh and the name of the console is pure GPH brilliance.

And Franxis is very welcome to a Pandora. For free.

Is it still GP2X, F800?

Oh, and "Pure GPH brilliance" + sarcasm is probably what was discussed about before. GPH can probably do without the official distributors mocking them. Although, as a community, I think all is fair, as long as you keep supplying their products.

Back