Will Game Park release a new portable?

Nutzo

Just wondering... With all these new portables coming along (PSP, N-Gheyge, Helix etc.) I have to think Game Park might feel some pressure to update the GP32. They don't have a huge customer base, but they do seem to have a loyal one. I suspect most GP32 owners would quickly buy a "bigger, better, badder" model. Something closer to the specs of those new portables but with GP32's open-source attitude could really cause a stir in tech circles. If, for example, it could emulate NeoGeo or CPS2... Such a device would sell very well to the emu/homebrew online community, which is pretty large.

Then there's the pessimistic side - Game Park is a small company, possibly even losing money, and probably afraid to release something new.

My guess is nothing new for at least a 1 - 2 years from GamePark, assuming they're even still in business.

What do you think?

2007?! GP32 won't be competitive that long. The only reason GP32 has the following it has is because it's open source and has emus/homebrew stuff. The Helix looks like it will also be open source for example, and it will probably be a better emu device. Maybe... :)

OK, so if a new model came out - what features would you add/change...lets hope GamePark read this!!

1) Mobile phone type battery & charger
2) Change MP3 playback to include a kill screen function if no buttons pressed in a while (save battery and screen)
3) Add a TV out feature/add on
4) Improve the speakers !
5) Add a reset switch
6) Add a Calendar/reminder and address book apps into the base roms
7) Change to or allow the bigger memory cards.
8) Offer a trade in !
9) Re-write the Manuals for English properly
10) Add a CD-rom to the pack with the Link software and 'extras' (not all kids have net access ..)
11) Skinable cases..
12) Backlite
13) I guess obvious stuff like the next CPU up in the model range..

Any more..

14) NeoGeo pocket type joystick
15) Optional adapter to use other memory card types
16) Realtime clock
17) Battery indicator
18) Touchscreen
19) Built-in HTML viewer

16) Realtime clock

>> Excellent Idea

17) Battery indicator
>> yes forgot that, should be on the main screen

18) Touchscreen
>>Why, would it not be to expensive

19) Built-in HTML viewer
>> yes a good idea

18) Touchscreen

Yes it would be expensive. But it will also be a perfect mouse emulator/replacement for the AtariST/Amiga/(X-)Windows emulators.

Touchscreen would open a whole new league of stuff up - i.e. organiser functions'd suddenly become feasable.

Other functions/changes...

20) 64 megs of ram - or at least the ram made upgradable

21) Floating Point Processor

22) Proper official SDK support (yeah right)

23) Factory Reset option (i.e. returns to original firmware) for those who mess up a flash. (i.e. Dump the original firmware on a true ROM chip that gets copied to Eeprom if whatever is there is unbootable, else boot from the eeprom firmware)

24) Higher res (?) - I know 320x240 is massive for handhelds, but 640x480 would allow some things to run without being cropped (i.e. High Res from the ST emu, or Amiga emus if they ever arrive on the scene)

25) Attachable qwerty keyboard - say make it plug straight into the port at the base of the unit. Basically just a modded Serial one, but might be nicer.

26) Some kind of 3D library - or possibly some hardware accelleration (do we need it? )

27) Stupid and entirely optional one - Support for 3D projection glasses (i.e. you know those things iMax uses? Well you give the screen a high enough res, overlap images and do a helluvalot of fiddling, and suddenly you end up with something that seems to be projecting the game in front of you in true 3D :) ) -- somehow I doubt that's going to happen lol - it'd be nice, though :)

Tobriand posted on May 14 2003 said:
25) Attachable qwerty keyboard - say make it plug straight into the port at the base of the unit. Basically just a modded Serial one, but might be nicer.
Hmm could be done via the usb..in fact more usb of the usb should be made..

Last edited by a moderator:
VirtuaLeech posted on May 14 2003 said:
18) Touchscreen

Yes it would be expensive.
It's not that expensive really.

Touch screens like those on palm pilots and what not are run by a single chip and a handful of passives. The screen membrane sensor bit is a little pricey, but nothing way out there. It eats up the batterys a bit.

IIRC, the hardest part was building good code to make it work proper.

Now an FPU + 3d library to suit... that might be expenisive, but worth it's weight in gold.

My vote goes except the light gun and glasses.. thats just too 80s to be seen wondering around in public with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've signed up to that tapware thing, i hope they send the sdk, cos im pretty excited over developing on another console.

It shouldn't be harder than gp32 i hope cos, gamepark programming is a breeze.

31) CHEAPER STORAGE - Something like MiniDisc. They hold about 170 megabites to a disk. Each disk costs less than $2/2euros.

It would make the next GP much more versatile. :)

The only things I feel are needed to be improved are:
1 More powerfull cpu
2 Longer battery life
3 A new D-pad
4 A flash card that holds a bit more data

Some ideas are good, but a little too carried away for a handheld console, remember that we want this to be within everybodys price range :lol:

Personally, I really hope gamepark makes a new handheld, and I really look forward to playing it.

Back