Will Blitzmax Work?

eilios

Still Fresh
I use BlitzMax for development(Primarily) and am wondering if it will run on the Pandora.

eiliosdraye said:
I use BlitzMax for development(Primarily) and am wondering if it will run on the Pandora.
It's closed source, so most probably, no.

If I were you, I would go looking for a more cross-platform development environment (preferrably one that uses a more modern language :p).

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
eiliosdraye said:
It's closed source, so most probably, no.

If I were you, I would go looking for a more cross-platform development environment (preferrably one that uses a more modern language :p ).
I mean will it's executables work( :p )?

Nope. Blitz BASIC is a compiler, and since they don't have an ARM Linux port, it will not be able to produce ARM Linux binaries.

Somebody could, given a LOT of motivation, try to make an open-source clone that's source-code compatible, but you'd be much better off learning Python or something.

lulzfish said:
Nope. Blitz BASIC is a compiler, and since they don't have an ARM Linux port, it will not be able to produce ARM Linux binaries.

Somebody could, given a LOT of motivation, try to make an open-source clone that's source-code compatible, but you'd be much better off learning Python or something.
Ah, ok. See, it's not that I can't use python, it's more that it's faster to use Blitz Max(and I know it better so it's easier to use).

lulzfish said:
Yeah.

There's also Irrlicht and OGRE engines. They're in C++ with optional Java bindings, but they will do a lot of graphics stuff for you.
Huh? Apropos what?
I honestly don't think eiliosdraye will want to learn C++ just to use a graphics engine :p

lulzfish said:
Yeah.

There's also Irrlicht and OGRE engines. They're in C++ with optional Java bindings, but they will do a lot of graphics stuff for you.
The problem with that is i'm trying to make a 2d game(the whole design is based around being 2d since it's a top down shooter) so a 3d engine won't really help much.

eiliosdraye said:
The problem with that is i'm trying to make a 2d game(the whole design is based around being 2d since it's a top down shooter) so a 3d engine won't really help much.

PySFML is probably the best 2d library for Pandora and Python although it is written in C++ natively. I'm pretty sure it is being ported to OpenGL-ES also since it will soon be able to work on the iPhone.

Yep I was hoping blitzmax would be ported as well - As I've built a couple of games in it for XP. I was hoping to port them to Pandora without much work - but I guess I'll have to learn python (& pygame) :-(

scottm said:
Yep I was hoping blitzmax would be ported as well - As I've built a couple of games in it for XP. I was hoping to port them to Pandora without much work - but I guess I'll have to learn python (& pygame) :-(
I would personally say that this is a Good Thing®. Blitz is good because it's so easy to use, but you can't really do a lot with it. Python, on the other hand, can be used for anything, so if you can write Python, you have a huge advantage.

I first learned to program using Blitzplus, and found C++ to be a very easy language to learn. The Blitz Basic borrows a lot of elements from C (being a BASIC/C hybrid) so the way I see it you're already halfway there.

Back