Pandora Casual Coding On Pandora ?

Edit: lulzfish, you dumbshit, headers are just text files, they take like no space at all...

Would gcc include g++, then, or literally just gcc? I don't know how these things are packaged / how much extra space it would take to throw in g++ and maybe gcj.

It'll be about 16megs extra to include gcc/g++ and all the needed headers for development on-board and so on, and I will now do all I can to convince craig and co to include a compiler in the *default* factory install ..

torpor said:
It'll be about 16megs extra to include gcc/g++ and all the needed headers for development on-board and so on, and I will now do all I can to convince craig and co to include a compiler in the *default* factory install ..

I know your all for developing on the Pandora itself, but I really don't think that's how the majority (98+%) will develop for the Pandora. May be my own personal opinion, but you really are barking up the wrong tree trying to get them to make it part of the default install. There's not unlimited space on the nand, and if you really want it then you can do it yourself, for everyone like you who wants it. You can really fill it up with what the majority of the users will have more of a need for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Na-Noo said:
torpor said:

I know your all for developing on the Pandora itself, but I really don't think that's how the majority (98+%) will develop for the Pandora. May be my own personal opinion, but you really are barking up the wrong tree trying to get them to make it part of the default install. There's not unlimited space on the nand, and if you really want it then you can do it yourself, for everyone like you who wants it. You can really fill it up with what the majority of the users will have more of a need for.

So is the prevailing assumption that almost all Pandora developers would be developing multiplatform titles? That they would have their complete development environment on an x86 machine and only run the finished application on the Pandora for testing?

I thought the Pandora was a full-featured linux machine, which means you can develop stuff on the same target machine like any desktop computer. Then again, the small screen is not good for code editing.

What I hoped for was something like "ZOMG Official Pandora SDK all-in-one installer for Linux x86, Mac OSX, and Windows XP and above where there is even a Pandora emulator to test programs before placing them on the machine." Last I read there was this whole App craze going on where every manufacturer has their own app store to encourage more developers to use their device.

But I'm like this storyteller just trying to find a public library to make his presentation and sell a book or two (or give it away for free), all the while I go to the Del Rey Store (that only sell Del Rey books) and they point me in the direction of the Penguin Books store.

I'm like the most casual of game-makers... I'd rather use an engine for simplicity then deal with compiling. In fact, should Flash be exportable to Pandora (not counting swfs with actionscript) I'd probably take that option. Right now I don't really have any credentials or anything 'publisher-worthy' but I gotta start somewhere so iPhone and Pandora are where I'm currently at. I'm not so foolish as to go "Hey, I'm gonna get a loan for $50,000 and me and my buddies are gonna start a video company!". I want to release something for chump change first (well, basically the same cost as a pure consumer would pay for a decent computer and handheld, minus a minimal $99 developer fee). We're not even talking about Wiiware/PSN/Xbox Live caliber even... just Xbox Live Community Games, and even that's a stretch to describe what I'm doing.

Updownupdownleftright said:
Na-Noo said:
torpor said:

So is the prevailing assumption that almost all Pandora developers would be developing multiplatform titles? That they would have their complete development environment on an x86 machine and only run the finished application on the Pandora for testing?

I thought the Pandora was a full-featured linux machine, which means you can develop stuff on the same target machine like any desktop computer. Then again, the small screen is not good for code editing.

What I hoped for was something like "ZOMG Official Pandora SDK all-in-one installer for Linux x86, Mac OSX, and Windows XP and above where there is even a Pandora emulator to test programs before placing them on the machine." Last I read there was this whole App craze going on where every manufacturer has their own app store to encourage more developers to use their device.

But I'm like this storyteller just trying to find a public library, all the while I go to the Del Rey Store (that only sell Del Rey books) and they point me in the direction of the Penguin Books store.

I'm like the most casual of game-makers... I'd rather use an engine for simplicity then deal with compiling. In fact, should Flash be exportable to Pandora (not counting swfs with actionscript) I'd probably take that option.

If you hooked up the Pandora to a screen, hooked up a keyboard and mouse you'd have a pretty decent programming machine, with internet and other functions.

What I think would be nice for the Pandora is a development library that is specifically suited to the hardware that the Pandora has. I'm thinking there probably already is separate libraries but no full library that has everything you need to build a game. I'm sure someone will probably create something like that, or for all I know, someone already has :p

SDL would be cool as well, I think it's already ported and cross compatibility is always a good feature.

I would like to see gcc/g++ installed by default, I don't have much in terms of a linux development setup so being able to compile from the console would be beneficial to me.

Na-Noo said:
torpor said:

That had nothing to do with developing multi platform titles. I was talking about the dev environment. Although I think if your planning on trying to make money out of it the easiest way would be cross platform, and taylor the inputs for each.

It is a full-featured linux machine, but as you just pointed out it's screen doesn't lend itself to devlopment, especially for casual, new developers. I will personally be doing some development on the machine itself as I'm on the train for long periods of time. Probably more tracking down bugs, code editing, more so than full blown development.

Agreed, and I did say that I think the community can go a long way to putting together something to make it easier although it's not hard to cross compile. This doesn't rule out developing on the machine itself at all though.

But I'm like this storyteller just trying to find a public library to make his presentation and sell a book or two (or give it away for free), all the while I go to the Del Rey Store (that only sell Del Rey books) and they point me in the direction of the Penguin Books store.

I'm like the most casual of game-makers... I'd rather use an engine for simplicity then deal with compiling. In fact, should Flash be exportable to Pandora (not counting swfs with actionscript) I'd probably take that option. Right now I don't really have any credentials or anything 'publisher-worthy' but I gotta start somewhere so iPhone and Pandora are where I'm currently at. I'm not so foolish as to go "Hey, I'm gonna get a loan for $50,000 and me and my buddies are gonna start a video company!". I want to release something for chump change first (well, basically the same cost as a pure consumer would pay for a decent computer and handheld, minus a minimal $99 developer fee). We're not even talking about Wiiware/PSN/Xbox Live caliber even... just Xbox Live Community Games, and even that's a stretch to describe what I'm doing.

And the fact that it's an open platform should make it cheaper to develop for. Sure we could do with some engines(other than the quakes), game maker type software etc, but I'm sure there will be some on the way at some point.
If your interested in developing for the Pandora, I'm sure you would be willing to download the package and install it onto a machine to work on, it just needs to be packaged up in an accessable way, for both the Pandora and other platforms that people may want to develop on.

Back