Wii: Uk Reaction

WrongEyedJesus

OK.

I used to post a lot.

I lurk from time to time now.

As a result of circumstance I have little access to the net.

I live in Spain.

I bought a Wii, purely on "good fun after the pub" feeling, and price obviously.

I love it, I have mates with PS3 on Sony HD TV's. It looks lovely but it's still the same thing essentially.

I am very impressed with my Nintendo.

Non gamer mates have got right into it.

Tried to buy Tiger Woods the other day and it was sold out.

Have heard some big devs moving from Sony to Nintendo for releases.

Anyone who has been around long enough will know I'm not a great techie but no luddite.

My Spanish is not terrible but it's tricky to follow all developments when you are away from the net and in another country.

I have followed the "modding a Wii" thread but that isn't really what I am getting at.

I think it's good fun and am enjoying it.

Is gaming enjoyment beating the Sony/Microsoft graphics war?

Discuss.

WEJ.

P.S. I have deliberately used "1 line paragraphs" to anger any gramatically correct users, of which traditionally I am the most vociferous.

P.P.S. Arsenal drew at Spurs today in stoppage time. As a result I am angry and drunk. All appropriate apologies apply.

At this moment in time, enjoyment and gameplay is beating graphics. The Wii is currently beating all other home console formats in all territories. Its outselling the PS3 in japan on average by about 3.5:1 each week and in the US, it has sold 1.25million units since the start of the year compared to the PS3's 900,000 units or something. It might be less than tha but I can't remember.

But yeh, as of the moment, gameplay and the enjoyment factor are beating pure graphical prowess. Although, some people believe that the momentum will shift from the Wii to the PS3 once the major games come out, most industry insiders are saying that the Wii may just be the console to take Nintendo back to the top even if it is by a small margin.

Personally, I really like the wii. But like the PS3 at the moment and the 360 this time last year, there aren't enough games out there to warrant getting one. Zelda is fabulous on both Wii and GC and is worth the purchase itself along with Wii Sports. But its the games that are set to come out by the end of this year for the Wii that will really tell how well it'll stand up against the hard hitters from Sony's and Microsoft's machines. Halo 3, MGS4 by the end of the year. Metroid Prime 3, Super mario Galaxy, SSBB. Its just gonna come down to preference. Personally, I went Wii60 at xmas and dont intend to get a PS3 because of the price.

ps3 = bluray player with tacked on gaming. At least thats what i always say to piss off sony preachers [a nickname i've give to sony fanboys]

Wii is a must for me, but its biggest problem is NOT its 'kiddie' image [which it is losing, thankfully] nor the lack of games [which was only somewhat true earlier in 2007, and most likely wont be true for much of 2007 and on]. No, wii's biggest weakness is: online, as in ONLINE GAMEPLAY, A LA XBOX LIVE.

thats where my 360 comes in. Wii is for all the awesome Nintnedo exclusives, 360 is for the hi-rez thirdparties and online gaming.

PS:the ps3 can suck my wee.
PPS: excuse the pun, will ya

I have a Wii and Its Ok but if I was recommending a console to someone I would recommend the 360 purely because -
  • the Wii has crap games (except a few eg Mario, Zelda etc)
  • the wii's controls are not 100% accurate on certain games
  • No HD cable in the box
  • I cant see games like R6 Vegas comming to the Wii mainly because of controls
  • No online gaming that I know of
  • Slow online network
  • graphics are like PS2 graphics
  • Overpriced games for what they are
  • No DVD playback
Overall my Wii hardly gets used becuase of the 360... If anyone has a PS3 and wants to trade it for my modded Wii then let me know ;).

Online gaming is coming. Mario Strikers will be the first in the UK.

We will have to wait and see how it works before slagging it off. Playing with real mates in the same room is much more fun though imho. If you have any that is :p

Steve-O said:
I have a Wii and Its Ok but if I was recommending a console to someone I would recommend the 360 purely because -
[snip]
Overall my Wii hardly gets used becuase of the 360... If anyone has a PS3 and wants to trade it for my modded Wii then let me know ;).
I'll admit most Wii games (certainly the ones currently out in the UK) are all crap. I can't fault the control system, I love it. I do wish Nintendo would get their act together with online. The Xbox 360 offers headset communications with people all over the world. The Wii, on the other hand, lets you send messages to each other provided you have a twelve-digit code entered. I don't see how that system is meant to work. I want to see some improvements, definitely. What I do like about Wii online is that I don't have to spend £60 on a wireless adaptor.

I can't vouch for overpriced games. All games seem overpriced, but I did get Super Monkey Ball for £19.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
not really impressed with wii so far, games are crap, v.cosole games are over priced, should of had online gaming from start, i find the wiimote unresponsive at times, especially on zelda(which i thought was boring, personally i thought wind waker was steps to move the series forwards, twilight princess is a step backwards) playing zelda made my arms hurt after an hour, wiimotes have started to detect when i power wii up, then turn themselves off, then not detect the wii. would like to have seen some kind of achievement style point system like the 360, and i believe that wii's are still hard to come by, although i hear that nintendo are stockpiling machines then are to announce a date that all stores will have them available, with the idea everyone rushes out and buys one. other than that id still rather have it than a ps3 i think.

*when i say unresponsive, i mean the swinging it about to use your sword, not the targeting.

CUPC4KES said:
*when i say unresponsive, i mean the swinging it about to use your sword, not the targeting.
same as what I find but when swinging for Golf games and boxing games etc. It seems to be the sensor for swinging that doesnt respond properly. Also, pointing is not very acurate unless you are 2 - 3 metres away from the screen or it will jump / move around by itself...

When I said the games are overpriced I meant overpriced for what they are. £35 for a game that is crap (except a few), has bad controls (not all), No Online play and ps2 looking graphics (sometimes poorer than PS2 graphics) where as £35 for a 360 game gives you excellent Next Gen graphics, great gameplay, Online play, great controls etc..

Overall the 360 wins hands down as Xbox Live is just amazing :), If you dont own a 360 you wont understand what Im on about but if you have a 360 and Wii you will :)

The games are crap argument is pretty stupid really. All consoles have shit games. Even the PS3 and 360 :eek: Shadow the Hedgehog anyone?

If on the other hand you get games like Zelda, WiiSports, Excite Truck, WarioWare, Paper Mario, Godfather, Tiger Woods, SSX, Trauma Centre etc, then you shouldn't be dissapointed.

If all you want are multiplayer FPS, get a PC. At least then you won't have to use a silly dual-analogue control scheme then.

I wouldn't diss the Wii's online just yet. Yes the virtual console games are vastly overpriced for what they are but how can you complain when you're getting a service that is costing you nothing and the only time you're having to use money is on the purchasing of virtual console games. If you don't want them and think that they are overpriced, then don't buy them then. I think in some cases the money for the games is well spent as some of the games are classics that deserve to be played over and over again.

From what I'm hearing from industry workers, the Wii's online is actually quite good. Reports coming out about how well Mario Strikers Charged Football plays online are suggesting that the online is actually gonna be quite good. Ok, there is the 12 digit code that you have to give to people and get theirs but thats a precaution. A stupid one I'll admit but its to prevent the younger gamers from being harassed by middle aged men who should be sitting in a mental institution.

Online takes time to implement and if you look at how the DS' online has gone, its been fantastic. The only downside is Metroid which has been ruined by players using the hack rom which makes their characters invincible to all attacks. Good online takes time to put into place. With the Wii, I think it'll turn out well just like the DS but will allow for a vast range of titles to be played online. MSCF has its limitations for being the first online game online allowing europeans to play within the continent but that is to keep the standard of the game up. As more games come out with online capabilities and as the network progresses, these limitations will vanish and we'll see some truly fantastic online games for the Wii. Don't sit there and tell me that the thought of playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl online against players worldwide doesnt excite you.

microsoft has set such a high standard with xbox live i'd be suprised if nintendo or sony can surpass it, playing online with the ds doesnt feel right with me, but i cant really explain why, with xbox live you can communicate with who your playing with/against, look at what games theve been playing, compare your gamerpoints to theirs, i know i shouldnt moan, cause its free, but i think nintendo have a lot to learn about online play. the only wii game i really want is paper mario, and maybe trauma center but even thats had mixed reviews. looking forward to trying pokemon diamond over wi-fi, only half an hour into the game and it seems like a classic already.

The only thing with Xbox Live is having to pay with it compared to two completely free networks. I don't doubt that Xbox Live isn't good. I still havent sorted out my Live account because I haven't gotten round to getting my parents to connect one of their cards to it to pay for the thing. However, what I will say is that Xbox Live seems to be the only saving feature for many games that are coming out on the 360. Most of the games that are coming out have incredibly short campaign/story modes because Microsoft is trying to get these developers to get their games out as soon as so they can keep in front on the console market which means that developers have to go about selling stuff over Live that would have been included within the £40 or so that you paid for the game.

I would like to see some of the Xbox's Live features incorporated within the Wii's and as yet no one is completely sure what it will be turn out to be like. Perhaps when more Wii games begin to use the online features we may well see some form of achievements put in or other features. Where I believe Nintendo has gone wrong though is the Friend code. I agree with it on the DS because the DS is going to be played by younger children mostly but with the wii supposed to be aimed at the wider market I think the friend code is the complete wrong way to go about online on a home console.

I think the DS' online is good and suits the console well and compared to the almost non existant PSP one, its the best handheld online setup out there. I admit that it could be improved and that I'd like to see a wider variety of games use it and I'd also like to see Nintendo clamp down on the Hackers because they just ruined Metroid Prime Hunters. <---Anyone else found that?

I'd get a wii, if it had decent online, that is for sure.

Also, question. Can you use a wavebird with one?

I'm <--------this-------> close to buying one now. As soon as I get evidence of a great online game in the works, I'll go out and get me one.

Ganepark, you dont need a credit card for Xbox live, just go to Game or Gamestation or PC World etc and buy a 12 Months Xbox live card for £40 and you just scratch a pannel off and enter the code :)

and £40 for a years membership = less than 80p a week, so its not that bad...

Steve-O said:
Ganepark, you dont need a credit card for Xbox live, just go to Game or Gamestation or PC World etc and buy a 12 Months Xbox live card for £40 and you just scratch a pannel off and enter the code :)

and £40 for a years membership = less than 80p a week, so its not that bad...
Grab one on ebay and you'll get about 10-15 USD off (whatever the pound equivalent is..)

Everyone keeps saying that Metroid is going to be online but I, for some reason, don't think that they'll bother with it. Nintendo did say they wouldn't do online for Metroid Prime 3 and going back on their word would make them a hypocrite. If it has it though, its gonna be sweet.

From what I'm hearing from people who have tried the online for Mario Strikers Charged Football, its supposed to be very good. I haven't had the chance to try it and I won't be able to until it comes out on the 25th of May. But the online is getting good feedback so far. The only criticism is that MSCF is only playable in the region you are in. But Nintendo are promising Tournaments and stuff with it. I would have prefered to get a better game for online to start rather than MSCF like Battalion Wars 2, which i can guarantee will be awesome. Smash Bros Brawl online can't come soon enough as that will show how good the online really is as long as they let you play against players worldwide and not just regionally.

Back