Wii Recalled

Angel

"Nobody's gay for Moleman"
Website
www.brutallyhonestgaming.com
After many bogus reports, i saw on the local news this morning that the Wii is in fact being recalled for faulty straps. I guess Nintendo is lucky to be Nintendo, because had this been Microsoft or Sony that had to recall their system, they'd be finished, but since it's Nintendo, they're allowed to sell faulty product and nobody will care.

Angel posted on Dec 17 2006 at 09:23 AM said:
After many bogus reports, i saw on the local news this morning that the Wii is in fact being recalled for faulty straps. I guess Nintendo is lucky to be Nintendo, because had this been Microsoft or Sony that had to recall their system, they'd be finished, but since it's Nintendo, they're allowed to sell faulty product and nobody will care.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH

I'm going to look into this a little more. I'm curious about the details lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, god... whatever. What fanboyish drivel. The whole Wii is not being recalled, just the straps on the Wiimote.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061215/ap_on_...nintendo_recall

Further, it's not a faulty product. This (like many media events) is being completely blown out of proportion. Some people's straps broke because they were flailing about at ridiculous speeds. I believe there have only been about fifty incidences or so of this. Considering that Nintendo has shipped over one million units worldwide, I'd say that's pretty good statistics.

On top of that, Nintendo is voluntarily recalling the straps. This is a good example of corporate responsibility. Even so, I don't think Nintendo should be held responsible for somebody dropping something. Do people sue baseball bat companies when they get hit by flying baseball bats that slipped out of a player's hands?

Note: I do not own a Wii or any other modern console. I own a Dreamcast.

Edit: "no modern non-portable console" :)

Angel posted on Dec 17 2006 at 08:23 AM said:

QUOTED FOR FALSE

Yes, the straps only. Angel's error.

I dont believe there's any other kind of recall in existance. Usually a "voluntary" recall is the only option available ;)

In any event, the number of incidents is irrelevant. If my new tv was broken because the strap broke, I'd be suing nintendo. You don't go blaming people for nintendo's crap product. That's ridiculous.

"This is expected to cost ninty millions of dollars". LOL. Add this to the ds adapter recall, and nintendo is well on their way to Sony status!

I'm sure Nintendo will make up for the loss rather quickly, either way I'm sure they're kicking themselves for not making the straps slightly thicker.

It's hardly a recall. They're offering new straps for free if people want them, but they're not telling people they should get new ones.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 17 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
In any event, the number of incidents is irrelevant. If my new tv was broken because the strap broke, I'd be suing nintendo. You don't go blaming people for nintendo's crap product. That's ridiculous.

The number incidents is relevant to my point that the media has overblown this, and that it is a statistically low "fault" rate. I didn't say that the number incidents is relevant to individuals to whom this has happened.

Can't say I'd blame you. If my TV broke, I'd want some compensation as well.

"This is expected to cost ninty millions of dollars". LOL. Add this to the ds adapter recall, and nintendo is well on their way to Sony status!

$90 million? Where'd you get that number? There have only been one million Wiis sold, and the strap for each doesn't cost $90. The article states "several million dollars". That sounds more accurate.

I doubt that Nintendo is going to go under because of this.

Edit: typo

Oh, sorry. Just realized that "ninty" is slang for Nintendo. Nevermind.

Yeah my bad. That was one of those sentence you can read either way :D.

I should have separated clauses in my statement about it being irrelevant. So rather than re-type it up, here's the new and improved way I was trying to say it:

In any event, the number of incidents is irrelevant. Numbers cited just undermine the situation. Whether it's one, or one million, the outcome should be the same.

If my new tv was broken because the strap broke, I'd be suing nintendo. You don't go blaming people for nintendo's crap product. That's ridiculous.

That's better! ^^

I like my wii very much, and I can sympathize with these "victims" if you will. I have a new tele that ran me almost 2k, and I would be literally devastated if it happened to me.

And for anyone who says "they shouldnt have been acting that way in the first place": People like to get into the game. I know when I play tennis I dont "flick" my wrist. I swing. If it's not meant to be played that way, Nintendo should have stated it, and put a warning somewhere. They had to know people would play wii sports hardcore style.

saehn posted on Dec 17 2006 at 03:01 PM said:

Millions of dollars? I doubt it costs them a pound to make those straps.

And why is the Wii recalled? I think a strap is much less than the entire console... Angel is being a fanboy, GO BACK TO GAIA.

I can def. see myself throwing the Wii-mote at my TV(If I had a Wii) and I agree Nintendo should've put a warning, that is if they haven't, because I wouldn't know either way.

If this ever happened to me, it would be the first time I'd be happy I have a craptacular TV :p

Goity posted on Dec 17 2006 at 09:14 AM said:
saehn posted on Dec 17 2006 at 03:01 PM said:

Millions of dollars? I doubt it costs them a pound to make those straps.

All the sites I've read this from are saying "several million dollars", Nintendo is probably paying for shipping and what not, so that might be included in with the cost.

At any rate its probably not any devastating amount of money.

SiDCrAzY posted on Dec 17 2006 at 10:20 AM said:
I can def. see myself throwing the Wii-mote at my TV(If I had a Wii) and I agree Nintendo should've put a warning, that is if they haven't, because I wouldn't know either way.

... And that's why there's a strap. But it seems some people have never practiced moving, much less exercising.

Yeah, they're doing the right thing, recalling the straps. That being said, check this out:

7.jpg

That's a Wiimote strap holding up 25lbs (11.4kg) of stuff. The photo was taken from the following site. It's pretty interesting, check it out.

http://www.nintendojo.com/fullfocus/view_item.php?1166055790

i dont think how anyone can brake the strap without being extremely stupid or wanting to do so.
Ive NEVER lost grip of the wiimote, no matter how hard i wave around, and the strap is pretty sturdy as well.
The problem are people who THROW the wiimote on purpose, if you throw something you have to expect it to fly...
Also there isn't any kind of recall, they just replace them if you ask.

Shikkers posted on Dec 17 2006 at 09:28 AM said:
SiDCrAzY posted on Dec 17 2006 at 10:20 AM said:

... And that's why there's a strap. But it seems some people have never practiced moving, much less exercising.

Exercising......????

I'm sorry you lost me....

*chomps down on burger*

Vimacs posted on Dec 17 2006 at 10:32 AM said:
Also there isn't any kind of recall, they just replace them if you ask.

Good point, accurate distinction.

recall - To request return (of a product) to the manufacturer, as for necessary repairs or adjustments.

Nintendo is just offering free replacements. More information is at the following link, and there's an image comparing the size of the new strap to the old one.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/ap-n...raps-222068.php

Back