Wifi startup in Minimenu problem

scippie

Earlier, I asked this in another topic but it remained unanswered, so sorry about that.

I have just reflashed my system (HF5, RC2) to try to overcome problems, but this problem sticks...

I have configured my Pandora to boot in Minimenu with Wifi enabled.

The wifi has been configured in Xfce (it connects to three known wifi's, the one at work, the one at home, and the portable 3g-to-wifi modem) and it works there.

When I reboot right into Minimenu, the wifi light is on, but when I "ifconfig", there is no IP address. Of course I can't browse the internet.

Toggling off and on the wifi doesn't help either.

I have HF 5, RC 2 installed on my Pandora.

Maybe this problem has to do with the three different wifi's that are configured on my system?

Is there a way to solve this problem without having to switch to Xfce and back to make the wifi work?

I suspect this is because network-manager (and all its associated bits like the "password keyring" stuff) are not being loaded in the background in Minimenu the way they are automatically in XFCE. No network-manager means your wifi stays unconfigured and unconnected, despite being on.

I suspect this is because network-manager (and all its associated bits like the "password keyring" stuff) are not being loaded in the background in Minimenu the way they are automatically in XFCE. No network-manager means your wifi stays unconfigured and unconnected, despite being on.

No, I forgot to mention that, I don't use a password keyring.

I'll just revive this thread, since I have the same problem. :) Any solutions? (And I do use a keyring - didn't know I could not).

Any way of changing keyring password to nothing (and thereby "closing" it), after you made one?

Any way of changing keyring password to nothing (and thereby "closing" it), after you made one?
I don't have my unit, so I can't say for sure, but in most desktop OSs you can change the password by right clicking on the icon when it appears in the tray, or by going into the OS's system settings page.

Probably a simpler way of doing it would be to do a reflash, and then remember to not type in a password the next time you are prompted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delete the directory "~/.gnome2/keyrings/"

It'll forget your keyring and (unfortunately) all passwords you've put in, but will allow you to recreate the keyring with no password next time you connect to a protected network.

Coo, thanks! Will try that - and see if it solves the problem with not connection to my network from the minimenu.

EDIT: It didn't fix the minimenu problem. :( Keyring was deleted just fine, but I still have to start up xfce, connect to wifi there, and then switch back to minimenu, to be able to use any form of internet from minimenu. Straaaange. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Coo, thanks! Will try that - and see if it solves the problem with not connection to my network from the minimenu.

EDIT: It didn't fix the minimenu problem. :( Keyring was deleted just fine, but I still have to start up xfce, connect to wifi there, and then switch back to minimenu, to be able to use any form of internet from minimenu. Straaaange. <_<
In that case my guess would be that it's a problem with minimenu, although I could be wrong.

Alrighty, thanks for the reply. :) It's not a big deal - I don't use the Pandora that much for browsing anyway (yet). So no worries. :)

Back