Connecting To A Network With Minimenu

Pleng

OK so since installing hotfix 2 I am now able to switch wifi, and launch arora, and pidgin from minimenu.

Trouble is, I need to switch into XFCE to actually enter my keyring password and connect to a network. Is there any way to do this without leaving minimenu?

I guess you could set the network to auto connect and make it so it remembers your keyring pass, I don't know how to do that though.

I did away with my keyring pass all together by deleting the appropriate file in the .gnome2 folder.

Pleng said:
ah what file might that be?

*caution non-professional advice ahead*

I deleted the file 'default.keyring' and possibly 'default' too, I can't remember...They are in: home/your account/.gnome2/keyrings

It will then re-ask for a keyring password, you can just leave it blank the click OK and it wont ask for it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm ok thanks. I've done that, and my network is set to connect automatically, but it still doesnt connect until I load xfce.

Once ive loaded xfce I can go back into mini menu and the connection remains.

Pleng said:
hmm ok thanks. I've done that, and my network is set to connect automatically, but it still doesnt connect until I load xfce.

Once ive loaded xfce I can go back into mini menu and the connection remains.

OK, go to the 'System' tab in minimenu. You should have an icon called 'toggle wifi' Now that your network is set to connect automatically, you can just toggle that to connect and disconnect from the Internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I got that bit. I can turn wifi on and off but it wont actually connect to a network without xfce being loaded

Bizarre. I just tested it on mine and it seemed to work OK. It took about a minuet for wifi to connect after I enabled WLAN. And I had to refresh Fennec a few times to get a response.

All I can suggest is you double check you have your network to auto connect. When you enable WLAN in minimenu it wont actually say when then wifi connects like it does in xfce.

Well it doesn't seem to matter how long I wait it just wont play ball :(

Is there anyway to force network manager to connect to the default network via the command line?

Got my Pandora yesterday (Whoopee) but can only connect wi-fi in xfce. I cannot enter a keyring in Minimenu and if I delete "Keyrings" folder I cannot enter the router key. apart from that it`s everything I hoped for.

Back