Wifi Networking

eyecreate

Website
git.eyecreate.org
One question I have for the devs or whoever may know is, will the wifi support the newer wifi networks like wpa2 or enterprise networks? I currently have a DS and it was one of the points I was disappointed about it. I want to be able to use a wireless device on almost any wireless network I can, and my university network uses a newer and more encrypted network. So, what kind of networks will the pandora be able to be used on?

Not supporting the newer Wifi network encryption protocols would be step backwards. Although I would understand if out-of-the-box support is not complete, full support may take a little time to be fully sorted out.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'd like to know how the OS on the Pandora will handle ad-hoc wireless.

The DS has Pictochat, and I'd like something similar to that without explicitly having to connect to another Pandora and without having to use any other wireless devices.

lulzfish said:
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'd like to know how the OS on the Pandora will handle ad-hoc wireless.

The DS has Pictochat, and I'd like something similar to that without explicitly having to connect to another Pandora and without having to use any other wireless devices.
I'm not sure what you're wanting to do, but if you're ever wanting pandora to pandora, it would probably make more sense to use bluetooth for that.

Edit: Er you can ignore the first clause, bluetooth is probably a better choice than wifi for that, assuming you're not needing a lot of range.

Last edited by a moderator:
hedwards said:
lulzfish said:

I'm not sure what you're wanting to do, but if you're ever wanting pandora to pandora, it would probably make more sense to use bluetooth for that.

Edit: Er you can ignore the first clause, bluetooth is probably a better choice than wifi for that, assuming you're not needing a lot of range.

Bluetooth is for sending a small amount of data. If you want to send messages like Pictochat, that'd be fine. But if you want multiplayer gaming, you'll need to use ad-hoc WiFi.

-God Ginrai

I think its possible. If the pandora can connect to the internet you can, play people online with it. All you need is server or something of that sort.

Well, since Ad-Hoc networks are an interest of mine, I may do something interesting in my spare time with the Pandora... if only I was able to reorder. (4 different methods failed so far :(, it sucks when you are in college, so aren't anywhere near your local bank to make a transfer). By the second batch you may see something. I could maybe make a library for dev's to plug into, unless one already exists.

PSyMastR said:
(4 different methods failed so far :(, it sucks when you are in college, so aren't anywhere near your local bank to make a transfer).
Yeah, that's part of why I haven't jumped on the first-batch non-re-ordered Pandoras.
edit: My two next posts explain anything weird.

"Yeah, that's part of why I haven't jumped on the first-batch non-re-ordered Pandoras.
However, if the Pandora team accepted my college's special debit-card-type thing, I have $600 in unused food money ..."

does that you don't eat, to save money for this? if so, dude thats unhealthy. Any that would be sick. Sickest of all if there was suck thing as goldeneye on the Pandora. With some sort of online multiplayer

You can easily drop one meal if the other two are packed with a tun of calories like the food from my college days. Plus if you get into a funky sleep scented then you will miss one anyway and weekends get even more crazy and you might not eat much at the college.

OMG no it's not like that.
I bring my own food and make sandwiches and stuff. The reason I have extra food money is because the cafeterias here suck.

I was just joking that I have a lot of money in an account that's special-purpose. They'll pay me back when I graduate, but that's still a ways off.

The policy here is that if you live in the dorms, you have to buy a meal plan, but I don't like the cafeterias, so I bring a lot of stuff from home and end up with extra money in a special card.. It's totally irrelevant, I can't take money from it anyway.

The DS's main problem with the newer network set ups is probably the fact that you don't really have a reliable way to upgrade the firmware to support it, unless you buy the next upgrade of the DS which probably will support it.

The Pand on the other hand, even if it dosent support it at launch there's nothing to stop it from being capable of it in the future.

Alpha2 said:
The DS's main problem with the newer network set ups is probably the fact that you don't really have a reliable way to upgrade the firmware to support it, unless you buy the next upgrade of the DS which probably will support it.

The Pand on the other hand, even if it dosent support it at launch there's nothing to stop it from being capable of it in the future.
I believe that in fact the CPU is not powerful enough to support more advanced features on the DS, though I heard this from a source that may be unreliable.

Also some features depend on the Wi-Fi chip itself, which in the case of the Pandora supports all current standards, but this may not be the case for the DS.

Tom` said:
Alpha2 said:

I believe that in fact the CPU is not powerful enough to support more advanced features on the DS, though I heard this from a source that may be unreliable.
It's true. I know someone who makes DS games for a living and have heard lots of stories about the DS's luxurious four megabytes of RAM, exciting 66+33 MHz CPUs and gigantic VRAM that could be addressed by Real Mode-MS DOS. The DS is innovative but it's not powerful. Trying to do WPA while running a game at the same time is unfeasible (plus I'm certain that the Wifi chip matches the rest of the device's performance).

WPA and WPA2 will be in the DSi, the partially backwards compatible new revision, which comes with 133+33 MHz CPUs and four times the RAM.

I propose explicitly supporting 802.1X (aka RADIUS) and VPNs with the Pandora simply because we can. ;)

lulzfish said:
OMG no it's not like that.
I bring my own food and make sandwiches and stuff. The reason I have extra food money is because the cafeterias here suck.

I was just joking that I have a lot of money in an account that's special-purpose. They'll pay me back when I graduate, but that's still a ways off.

The policy here is that if you live in the dorms, you have to buy a meal plan, but I don't like the cafeterias, so I bring a lot of stuff from home and end up with extra money in a special card.. It's totally irrelevant, I can't take money from it anyway.
Just find someone off of the meal plan and offer them uses of the card for a cheaper price than it would be for them if they used their own money. That'll get you some money. ;)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Just find someone off of the meal plan and offer them uses of the card for a cheaper price than it would be for them if they used their own money. That'll get you some money. ;)

-God Ginrai
Unfortunately, in many cases, the use of the meal plan "punches" are tied into your student ID with most of the colleges that do this sort of thing. They won't let you loan the use of the card to someone else for any reason. I remember having to pay for the stupid meal plan on my freshman year of college- and that was the situation when I was going to school, some 24 or so years ago.

Will I be able to connect to my pc's router using wifi so I can connect to the web? I've never used wifi ever so I don't really understand how it works. Just so I can use my pandora downstairs while my router is upstairs..

edit: Cheers lulzfish. I sorta figured it might but I just wanted to be sure :)

Yeah, I've thought about that, but the debit card has my student ID on it, so that would be pretty hard to pull off.

And I don't really trust anyone who doesn't even go to the same school as me to borrow something so sensitive.

Back to the topic...

"Will I be able to connect to my pc's router using wifi so I can connect to the web?"

Yes, Wi-Fi means that the Pandora can connect to your Local Area Network and share an Internet connection that you have. So if you have a DSL / cable modem setup like this:

DSL or cable line -> Modem -> Router -> Computer

and the router is wireless, the Pandora will be able to connect to it, and to share files wirelessly with your computer.

Back