wifi dongle fails with password

claregj

Still Fresh
Hi,

First an apology - I didnt realise when i downloaded the image that it was Hotfix7Alpha1.

Due to my previous sinful life I have a fixed objection to flashing a NAND (which has survived even an unbrickable one).

So even though I since found Hotfix6 I decided to keep going - (lazy probably).

Thanks to macemoneta for the fix deleting (~/.gnome2/keyrings), which stopped it complaining about wanting a password for that.

I have a Mac Mini which has shared wifi set up ( it being the only wifi I have). If it has no encryption Pandora connects immediately.

If I turn on the requirement for a password in the Mac, Pandora immediately reverts to disconnected and asks for authentication password. When I supply it (whether the 40 or 128 bits kind), it tries but fails and asks again.

hopefully,

claregj

I'm still waiting for my pandora, so i could guess only. Other common Linux systems use the keyring for storing your keys. It's a key management system and this key-storage-area is protected by a password. The keyrings file is essential for this concept and it may be possible that the deletion of it will cause the problem. If you don't get a qualified answer from another mac/pandora user i would recommend to install a fresh firmware on the sd-card and test the system behavior with an out of the box operating system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting for my pandora, so i could guess only. Other common Linux systems use the keyring for storing your keys. It's a key management system and this key-storage-area is protected by a password. The keyrings file is essential for this concept and it may be possible that the deletion of it will cause the problem. If you don't get a qualified answer from another mac/pandora user i would recommend to install a fresh firmware on the sd-card and test the system behavior with an out of the box operating system.

Thank you double7. The linux systems I use (Crux and Knoppix) do not have that so I hesitated for a while. However after i deleted it it soon made a new one and gave me the opportunity to give it a password, so that is how that problem went away.

It was not the main point so i didn't give enough detail.

I am still hoping that someone has been successful in using a password with a dongle, and if they are using Hotfix6 I might be tempted. Hotfix5 did not have drivers for the dongle - mine is one of those with bad original wifi.

I thought I might be missing a kernel module, the slim.log refers to "applet device-wifi.c.1595 (get_secrets_dialog_response)"

mostly because I cancelled. I didn't go very far with that approach, because all the files at

http://openpandora.o...irmware/images/ including "old" ones are marked omap3 whereas the kernel being used (in directory /boot) is uImage-2.6.27.46-omap1, and its modules in /lib/modules match that.

So I was curious as to why, is it peculiar to Hotfix7?

If I need a module can anyone tell me which one?

Belatedly replying to myself - I had to give up on the wifi from the Mac Mini. I bought a battery operated Router (Chinese). Into that I plug the 3G modem (Huawei E169) and it makes a wifi signal which the pandora can access even when it is passworded. My other computers including the Mac Mini can also pick up the wifi.

I am still in trouble using the signal as I havent been able to get any browser other than links going, but that has to wait till I have more time. Thanks again; claregj

Back