wifi bug and workaround - very situation specific.

Grench

Forum Addict!
Bug characteristics:

Connects to wifi router DHCP but can´t see through to the internet.

ifconfig gives an ip of 192.168.0.9

My router is configured to only pass out ip from .100 to .200 range.

Somehow the Pandora ignored the actual DHCP IP and took its own at 192.168.0.9.

I was able to use Chromium on the Pandoa to get to the router, log in, copy the Pandora's MAC and reserve it an IP in my network's range. reconnecting to the network got me an IP in range then - and here I am typing with my thumbs.

My big concern is - Is 1.51 somehow forcing 192.168.0.9 even if DHCP can't offer it? What if it were in use on another device?

I have mine on a reserved IP now.

This may be a very specific bug to having my IP addresses restricted to the upper range.

That´s pretty weird, I have my router set to hand out IPs within a restricted range starting at x.x.x.100. I´ve just checked and the Pandora is using x.x.x.101, which would be correct. What router are you using?

god I hate that router!

I picked one up a couple years ago, used it for a day, then shut it off went back to my old router (and later upgraded to something else :p ) -- the dir-655 at the time, they'd totally broken the firmware; it would ignore numerous settings, so for instance it would always insist it was dns, regardless of whatevet you coudl configure; sadly, it was a poor dns server as well, routinely providing incorrect results or refusing to look upstream.. lord knows how they munged it that bad; then a firmware update released by d-link actualyl caught google searches and occasionally would return faked up results with ads to d-link .. can you imagine?! A few months later, they tossed out these changes since they were so unpopular .. but they actually tried it. Unbelievable.

It seemed a good piece of hardware, but at the time, it was an insaely poor firmware..

.. make sure you're on a current, or at least acceptible, version :)

jeff

I'd also recommend a different router firmware. My Fritzbox serves the Pandora, and my Pandora accepts the IP, also from a custom range. And I really can't imagine a Pandora configured for DHCP just making up an IP. But I can vividly imagine a borked firmware to serve an IP out of the range. (You could try a "sudo dhclient wifi0 wlan0" in the console to check the process.)

Last edited by a moderator:
god I hate that router!

I picked one up a couple years ago, used it for a day, then shut it off went back to my old router (and later upgraded to something else :p ) -- the dir-655 at the time, they'd totally broken the firmware; it would ignore numerous settings, so for instance it would always insist it was dns, regardless of whatevet you coudl configure; sadly, it was a poor dns server as well, routinely providing incorrect results or refusing to look upstream.. lord knows how they munged it that bad; then a firmware update released by d-link actualyl caught google searches and occasionally would return faked up results with ads to d-link .. can you imagine?! A few months later, they tossed out these changes since they were so unpopular .. but they actually tried it. Unbelievable.

It seemed a good piece of hardware, but at the time, it was an insaely poor firmware..

.. make sure you're on a current, or at least acceptible, version :)

jeff

It was expensive at the time and has so far been mostly functional - but I'd replace it if I knew I could get something -much- better.

I need to find a router that can do the following:

1. Stay up 24/7/365 (D-Link 655 has been -OK-)

2. Place more than one machine in the DMZ (D-Link 655 restricts to 1)

3. Can handle more than 25 DHCP connections & reservations at a time. (D-Link 655 limit is 25 -frustrating)

4. Has a very strong 802.11g signal

5. Can handle interference in a many wall many emitting device area

6. Can handle at least four full duplex gigabit wired connections at >50MB/sec/direction/connection

Of course no router's artificial limitations get listed on it's packaging. So #2 and #3 above are never listed. Does anyone have a suggested model to switch to?

Does anyone have a favorite router? Why do you like it?

Fritzbox 7390 many Features, Support is ok only wlan / dect Radio power could be better

Was rather content with my Netgear. It lacked the ability to share a USB mass storage back then, but otherwise I'd have kept it. I happen to like my D-Link (635 I believe) too (with latest firmware), I liked the configurability and interface. Offers a lot of power user options, and did not fail me like yours did there, either. My FritzBox is a pleasure regarding ease of use, firmware updates and technical information (DSL, WLAN spectrum), but, alas, has a horrible connectivity. With the Pandora, I get bad reception at a distance of ~10m with not much but air and furniture inbetween. Also, it tends to hide advanced features from the user. Siemens Gigaset, a feature monster, fantastic concept, but they usually have very immature firmware and then fail to maintain it, so only half of the features were usable at any time.

Back