Why So Little Interest In The Wiz?

I'm really looking into getting a Wiz now, I was more or less distracted by the Pandora and GP2X pissing me off so many times, but I'm starting to expect to see the Wiz BEFORE the pandora, and I'm impatient. there also seems to be good games shaping up already, and hey, I'm a consumer whore so you know ill try to get in on as many commercial games as i can

WarmFluffyUK said:
czoom said:
They need TV-OUT or I will not buy
Why? It's a handheld, not a console.

Why? because you can play movie.
And watch movie can be better on TV than 2.8" OLED screen :)

Personnally I like to play Gngeo2X on my TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the members who made the GP2X scene such a good one in the two years 2006-2007 might come back to to support the wiz. Where have they gone? Many don't seem to have bought a pandora as most of the people who post in that forum are new to the community, who joined the community this year. Then again most of them may have preordered a pandora but are just lurkers now?

Hirolaser said:
Many of the members who made the GP2X scene such a good one in the two years 2006-2007 might come back to to support the wiz. Where have they gone? Many don't seem to have bought a pandora as most of the people who post in that forum are new to the community, who joined the community this year. Then again they may have but are just lurkers now?
Probably just lurkers ( like me! ) who appear once in a blue moon to post something, then get locked in their cage again until they code something ( err... like me! :lol: )

I partially welcome the Wiz delays, as it means I may actually have some money to afford one when they arrive! And can then get going with porting my engine and whatever games I've got laying around :)

Hirolaser said:
Many of the members who made the GP2X scene such a good one in the two years 2006-2007 might come back to to support the wiz. Where have they gone? Many don't seem to have bought a pandora as most of the people who post in that forum are new to the community, who joined the community this year. Then again most of them may have preordered a pandora but are just lurkers now?
i see alot of them posting replies to gp2x news, some are devving gp32 games...

I want a more capable device that does more than what the GP2X was able to do. Like, online capabilities, good multimedia support, etc.

For the price, I don't think the Wiz is for me.

Also the 2.8" screen was a real turn off, especially on the multimedia front.

Might i add something as a complete wiz noob?

This might have been posted before, but i think the wiz will profit enormously from the pandora's (expected) succes :) since there are a lot of cross platform dev's here, most of the emulator and multiplayer stuff will benefit both i think. If a multiplayer snes/quake 2/u get it, could be played across both platforms...

Gruso said:
Wow, looking at all the Wiz threads in one place now, there's definitely no shortage of interest. ;)
3 posts a day lol.
i wonder why there is so little interest as well, iam quite excited about the wiz and ive never even owned a gph device before...

gibberish said:
Gruso said:
Wow, looking at all the Wiz threads in one place now, there's definitely no shortage of interest. ;)
3 posts a day lol.
i wonder why there is so little interest as well, iam quite excited about the wiz and ive never even owned a gph device before...

I guess we don't have as much excitement as the Pandora sections, aside from the delayed release date that is, if you can consider that exciting. Maybe we should whip up a bit of paranoia and a bank-based snafu to liven things up a bit :p

After reading this thread I'm definitely interested in the Wiz. I was thinking of getting a GP2X a while back, but then when talk of the Craiginator started it seemed like all the support had jumped from the GP2X to a device that was just in the concept stages, so I didn't feel like going for a device that had just lost the support. I was somewhat interested in the PSP, but the additional costs necessary to get homebrew working (extra battery, extra memory cards) made it quite expensive.

I'm certainly still concerned about support for the Wiz dropping off like it seemed to have for the GP2X, but the part that really catches my interest is the OLED screen handling sunlight very well. Size wise it sounds perfect. I have a N95 8GB with a 2.8" screen and I'm quite happy with it - the controls however are awful for games, and about the only thing I play is Frozen Bubble - even Snake, as good as it is doesn't feel good on it.

I was also looking at the iPod Touch, but touch screen only seriously limits what you can play, and the accelerometer also has limits to what it can detect and leads to it being somewhat frustrating (I've seen some limits with Nseries accelerometer games too).

I'll be waiting till it's released to see what it's like, but unless there's some problems with it like the PSP Brite's scanlines making things less attractive I might go ahead and get it. Good controls and visibility are probably the most important things. If there's no analog stick that's OK, as long as the controls that are there work.

Dedicated apps might be nice, but a good Neo Geo and SNES emulator should seal the deal (GBA too). PSX would also be nice, but obviously it's short on controls, so I wouldn't be too upset not to see any development for that.

fishybawb said:
gibberish said:
Gruso said:
3 posts a day lol.

I guess we don't have as much excitement as the Pandora sections, aside from the delayed release date that is, if you can consider that exciting. Maybe we should whip up a bit of paranoia and a bank-based snafu to liven things up a bit :p

Yeah, moving the release date back killed the buzz for many people around here. It was supposed to be my christmas gift to myself, and now I'm not giving myself anything this christmas. Now I hate me and am unwilling to get me anything else, because I've been such as ass to me lately. Looks like I've getting me socks and underwear this year. That'll show me.

In the long run, holding back and releasing a stronger system will improve sales and customer feedback. They listened about the buttons and headphone jacks, which shows they want to do right by the players. Next year there'll be the Wiz, Pandora, DS, DSi and PSP all fighting for attention. The new PSP hasn't been cracked yet (although I think it will be eventually). The DS is selling well enough that getting the DSi to the states is "not a priority" for Nintendo of America. The Pandora and Wiz are two sides of a coin in that they are geared to homebrew and development people.

It has been partially hacked. They've got service mode enabled, but still no way to install custom firmware.

Myselft lost intrest in the Wiz due to the button setup, small screen, low resolution screen, no sdhc support, low ram etc etc. and the biggest reason is the facts that its gph that is making it, their history of flaws scares me of from this console, also I want wifi or atleast lan support for it to be intresting for me, this machine is just a more pwoerfull gp2x, so nothing that new more then faster emulation of difrent systems.

I can´t get over the small screen, my Nokia n95 has the same screen size and I hav quake 1 and quake 2 on my nokia and I must say that in my eyes the screen is to small to be comfortable for me, I must say that the wiz willb e good for old retro gaming only with that screen, that´s my oppinion but as I have a phone with that screensize I have something to compare to. bigger screen is a must for me.

Also the "3D accelerator" without any more info att all dosen´t seem apealing to me, and it stands under CPU? no separate gpu or something what is it a strange cpu bundled controlled thingy I don´t understand it.

So sorry GPH but Pandora got all ive waited for in a handheld gamign system.

//som99

Edit: @migo you are wrong the 3000 is downgradeable. now quit this oftopic.

You're late. At the time I posted, CFW was not available on the 3000. Don't say to quit going off topic if you're saying something about it, that's pure hypocrisy.

I might have been late yes, w/e, still I wrote "now quit this oftopic." as in that was the final conclusion about the 3000 nothing more to add stay on topic. If you do not understand it re-read it a few times. further comments will be ignored.

som99 said:
Myselft lost intrest in the Wiz due to the button setup, small screen, low resolution screen, no sdhc support, low ram etc etc. and the biggest reason is the facts that its gph that is making it, their history of flaws scares me of from this console, also I want wifi or atleast lan support for it to be intresting for me, this machine is just a more pwoerfull gp2x, so nothing that new more then faster emulation of difrent systems.

I can´t get over the small screen, my Nokia n95 has the same screen size and I hav quake 1 and quake 2 on my nokia and I must say that in my eyes the screen is to small to be comfortable for me, I must say that the wiz willb e good for old retro gaming only with that screen, that´s my oppinion but as I have a phone with that screensize I have something to compare to. bigger screen is a must for me.

Also the "3D accelerator" without any more info att all dosen´t seem apealing to me, and it stands under CPU? no separate gpu or something what is it a strange cpu bundled controlled thingy I don´t understand it.

So sorry GPH but Pandora got all ive waited for in a handheld gamign system.

//som99

Edit: @migo you are wrong the 3000 is downgradeable. now quit this oftopic.

I've a pda of 2.8" and I watch perfectly films (except subtitles, I don't watch in the GP2X). The Wiz supports SDHC. There is a photo of a prototype of Wifi for Wiz.

I hope that both consoles triumph. :)

Greetings.

Back