Why So Little Interest In The Wiz?

You can have whatever preferences you want, but saying that a DS, PSP, or Pandora aren't portables is taking things a little too far.

It only being however much better than a 290MHz GP2X isn't that worrying since most GP2X's can't reach 290MHz. And we don't know what the typical overclock for Wiz will be (I've heard something like 650MHz from someone, which is comparable to the standard 240MHz people get out of GP2X - that'll probably scale everything as it did on GP2X).

2x as powerful as a 290MHz GP2X is a fantasy, of course.

But not as big a one as the 3D being more powerful than PSP's. That is, unless it's much different than what is in MMSP2+.

Exophase said:
You can have whatever preferences you want, but saying that a DS, PSP, or Pandora aren't portables is taking things a little too far.

It only being however much better than a 290MHz GP2X isn't that worrying since most GP2X's can't reach 290MHz. And we don't know what the typical overclock for Wiz will be (I've heard something like 650MHz from someone, which is comparable to the standard 240MHz people get out of GP2X - that'll probably scale everything as it did on GP2X).

2x as powerful as a 290MHz GP2X is a fantasy, of course.
With all due respect (which I would say is quite a bit), I've never been crazy about the Pandora's gamepad and keyboard layout. I feel like it's a device that started out as an above average PDA with game controls stuck on like they were an afterthought.

Call me strange, but I've just never been a huge fan of a device that tries to be all things to all people. I like the specs that are under the hood of a Pandora, as well as the features, but I just can't get around that afterthought layout (It just looks really bad, to me), and the fact that the Pandora is pushing itself as the end-all be-all of portable products.

That's why I've decided to go with a Wiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
tkeely4777 said:
Call me strange, but I've just never been a huge fan of a device that tries to be all things to all people. I like the specs that are under the hood of a Pandora, as well as the features, but I just can't get around that afterthought layout (It just looks really bad, to me), and the fact that the Pandora is pushing itself as the end-all be-all of portable products.
OK, you're strange. ;)

Actually Pandora's control layout is brilliant. I don't know how much time or thought you gave it, but I think they did a superb job at providing a full set of modern gaming controls in a very accessible layout. Assuming the physical execution and construction is good quality, I think it will be really exceptional at providing solid controls for almost any sort of game. The keyboard is even more icing on an already sweet cake.

And suggesting Pandora's controls have an "afterthought layout" is really ironic on your part. The Wiz is the one that started out with a ridiculous dual-dpad layout, and then last-minute switched to something sensible. There's your "afterthought layout," not the Pandora. I think you have them confused! B)

Oh crap, not again!

I agree that the Wiz is buried in the GP2X subforum (I blame GPH for calling it the "GP2X Wiz").

Frankly for the Pandora there is a ton of info from the dev team coming in (Craigix/ED/MWeston), even PCB pictures and video of actual pre-release units running software.

If GPH would let us in on the process and listen to the community the same would happen (If in fact there is a Wiz blog with PCB pictures and shots of a dev boards running demos Why the HELL haven't they been posted??).

So there is my $0.02

I agree that Wiz needs its own forum. (and believe it or not I am looking at the Wiz in a new light, I might actually use it more than the Pandora, as much as I want the Pand.)

Somebody on here has said that they know what chips are onboard the Wiz (buried in the "D-Pad to buttons" thread), so if we get those you can go to MagicEyes web-site and check out all the REAL specs to your hearts content.

I thought it was the Pollux chip? Here is the Archive.org backup of Jan 09 2008 (Google and Firefox won't let me on mesdigital.com because of malware) http://web.archive.org/web/20080109223358/...duct_pollux.asp

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Also USB and TV-Out are apparently there, although the TV doesn't really work yet, if we (the community) fix it then it should work.

I'm undecided yet. I really like of the idea of OLED (haven't seen one ever), since I love display tech and psx emu as system maximum performance should be good enough. On the other hand I've been using a nokia 770 for browsing on the bus and it's been quite sweet. I've had it for a long time and only recently got a 3g net so I can properly use it. So a pandora could be useful for a replacement for that.

The other thing going for the wiz is availability. It's being sold in many shops, while the pandora is bogged down in pre-order ridiculousness. It's only 23. days to go before release and if there's a shop in helsinki that sells it I'm pretty sure I'll go get one.

craigix said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Plus the fact the Wiz is actually more powerful than a PSP so that is also a message to other devs out there.
Is it? The 3D chip certainly isn't even close and I suspect the CPU is actually pretty similar. I think the PSP has the edge, actually probably quite a bit more than just an edge, the Wiz does not even have a FPU.

Well according to the advertising blurb in BIG letters on GP2X.co.uk HERE, it states "More raw power than a PSP". So I was assuming that meant it was more powerful than a PSP, obviously I must have been misled.

WarmFluffyUK said:
craigix said:
Is it? The 3D chip certainly isn't even close and I suspect the CPU is actually pretty similar. I think the PSP has the edge, actually probably quite a bit more than just an edge, the Wiz does not even have a FPU.
Well according to the advertising blurb in BIG letters on GP2X.co.uk HERE, it states "More raw power than a PSP". So I was assuming that meant it was more powerful than a PSP, obviously I must have been misled.

:lol:

I'm interested in the Wiz, even more so now that my GP2X is dead - it committed suicide on the very morning of the day I was going to pre-order one. It must be psychic...

geise69 said:
Looking at this forum there is very little talk about the new "upgrade" device from GPH. Go over the the Pandora forum and there's at least 15 topics that have posts for today. I was just wondering why there is so little interest "on a gp32/2x forum for the Wiz (...) Any thoughts?...
My opinion is that it is because wiz and regular gp2x supporters are sane people, with real life, and that they don't see any reason to discuss endlessly about a device that is not yet released.

On the other hand, pandora supporters are kind of crazy. As you said they keep posting messages several times a day, this is going for one year now, and there is no reason it does'nt continue like that for one more year :p My humble opinion is that what Pandora fan boys really like is the waiting and the never ending expectations. I wonder what will happen to them if Pandora ever becomes a reality :D

From my point of view, GPH is out of the picture. I have 3 GP2X's and they're all useless due to faulty power-regulation circuitry. So, screw GPH. Roll on Pandora!

As promised here's some more info about the Wiz hardware:

3D Graphic Accelerator
Programmable floating point vector processing engine for geometric transform.
Variable mathematical operation.
512-depth instruction memory
256 Vector Input/Constant Registers
16 Vector General Purpose Registers
2x2 Sub-Pixel Accuracy
Features of Texturing
Perspective Correction
Multi-Texturing
Bi-Linear Filtering
MIPMAP
Features of Pixel Operation
Per-Pixel Fogging
Hardware Dithering

That was copied directly out of the Wiz chipset databook.

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a Wiz, especially now that they fixed the buttons... When is it out? According to Play-Asia, release date is February 2009 !

nostromo said:
Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a Wiz, especially now that they fixed the buttons... When is it out? According to Play-Asia, release date is February 2009 !
Where did you get that date from? According to here:

Release date: Nov 28, 2008

Edit: My bad, if you click on the item itself, it says "In stock: Feb, 2009" :(

fishybawb said:
nostromo said:
Hi,

If you click the direct article link now for the GP2X Wiz. It does indeed now say in stock on Feb. 2009. DAMN!

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-2z59.html

Regards

André

OMG I hope thats not the case, I wanted one for my birthday latest this month :eek:

Can someone perhaps check from a more official source?

fettouhi said:
fishybawb said:
nostromo said:
Hi,

If you click the direct article link now for the GP2X Wiz. It does indeed now say in stock on Feb. 2009. DAMN!

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-2z59.html

Regards

André

I can quite see why it may be delayed until Feb, as there's still a lot to do on the firmware/interface/apps. Saying that, it's still a lot of fun in its present state :)

I can quite see why it may be delayed until Feb, as there's still a lot to do on the firmware/interface/apps. Saying that, it's still a lot of fun in its present state :)

So its really delayed until February o_O ?

nostromo said:

According to Play Asia yes :(

But I will ask GPH directly later on.

WarmFluffyUK said:
nostromo said:

According to Play Asia yes :(

But I will ask GPH directly later on.

Thanks, let us know!

That's really a shame if that's the case. I was wanting to have something to mess with for the holidays. This also might cause for some people to just go ahead now and get a Pandora, since the 2nd batch might be ready for Feb or March...possibly. Man what a bummer. On the bright side it means they are taking their time and are trying to do things right.

Back