Why not an ethernet port?

The ethernet socket is too big, and there are loads of very cheap USB solutions available.

Can you recomend me a USB ethernet card that I can buy and I can be sure that will have drivers so Pandora can use it? I am really considering to buy a Pandora but I need to be sure I can use ethernet on it.
thanks

The pandora is a very small, portable device... ... ... it's barely bigger than a Nintendo DS! Imagine a whopping great lan plug and cable hanging out the back of a DS! :wacko:

Just buy a usb wifi key and plug it into another pc. It's possible you may also be able to just run ethernet over the a usb cable to the pandora too.

zarneth said:
Imagine a whopping great lan plug and cable hanging out the back of a DS! :wacko:
There is a lot of people that would be extremely happy to see that. For example computer profesionals that would prefere to use Pandora for testing their network instead of carrying heavy laptops or spend lots of $$ for expensive network testing tools.

My sugestion to the Pandora designers is to include some ethernet card, even as an extra feature or extension card, it would save the customers from wasting time to buy third party ethernet-over-usb cards that might have (good) drivers or not.

Aren't there extra USB pads in the Pandora, or only for the extra L & R buttons? You may be able to squeeze a USB-Ethernet device in there quite handily if there are.

Buying Pandora to test Ethernet network? I'd get an ASUS Eee PC or MSI Wind instead for that. :)

While this might become handy for some, for others it would bump the price and squeezing the RJ45-plug would possibly be quite tricky for the interiors. Though, I do not know about the PCB and the interiors that much.

Just get a router with Wifi support and you'll be fine. :)

You can find some information if you search for USB Ethernet or just ethernet over on InternetTabletTalk.com.
This question comes up now and then over there.

Sometimes people will want to connect to a wired-only network, e.g. at work or in a hotel.

Most of the time the easiest and simplest solution is to get a cheap travel/pocket wi-fi router (e.g. asus, linksys or others), these work very well and are easy to carry and use: Plug in, and you can go online through wi-fi.

But sometimes this is not an option, e.g. at a site where you're not allowed to attach a router to the network. In those places a USB-Ethernet adapter comes in handy, and what's described to work on those ItT threads should work equally fine with the Pandora.

Calmatory said:
Buying Pandora to test Ethernet network? I'd get an ASUS Eee PC or MSI Wind instead for that. :)
I agree, eeePC is good for that. But Pandora is so much better, it fits in your Pocket, while for eeePC you need a bag to carry it.
Bumping the price with 5$ more it's really not an issue. The ethernet card Shikaku linked costs 16$ and it's sold separately, so I think adding an ethernet card directly on the motherboard can't cost more than 5$. I agree, you can get a router with wifi but that can be even bigger than Pandora, more things to carry and the whole solution is not quite so portable.

usbhost said:
Calmatory said:
[.. ] I agree, you can get a router with wifi but that can be even bigger than Pandora, more things to carry and the whole solution is not quite so portable.
Check out 'travel router' on google, the types I mentioned are very small. The size of a cigarette packet or smaller. The one I use can be powered by either a small wall charger or directly from USB. It's an excellent option for connectivity. For those areas where wi-fi isn't allowed you can use an equally small (or even smaller) usb ethernet interface.

Adding a physical ethernet port to the Pandora sounds like major overkill.

It has got RS232 accessible through ext :)
(TTL-level, but ext has also got power out to drive a conversion-chip for full RS232)

But the bulky converter weighs several ounces more than the standard connector. :eek:

And now I'm wondering if it will support handshaking...

Awwww nevermind. I got showed. But I'm still not a victim of name-calling.

Do you mean the TTL-level converter?
AFAIK there are really tiny single-chip SMD converters that would completely fit into the plug-casing. You wouldn't have additional bulk or weight. IIRC the official break-out board has got such a chip. I'm sure, that there will pop up some homemade accessories like this in the future :)

In addition to the Pandora being well beyond the add-new-features phase of development, there is nowhere near enough room for a RJ45 jack in the device. Most USB dongles should work without any fuss. I'm sure there will be a list on the wiki once there are Pandoras on which to test them.

Back