Why No Vga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
redfish said:
Thank you for the link, but again this is a lot of useless information. Adding VGA (for me) to the Pandora will be a simple process of taking out my multimeter, finding the R,G,B and Sync traces on the board... then wiring them to a DB15(vga) female connector and maybe some pentometes for the signals. Obviously the OS is setup so that it can use two video outputs. The only worry about the mod is that it may not be able to recognize the "monitor" as a monitor and shut off any refresh rate adjustments that it would need.
Really? All you need to find RGB signals is a multi meter? I wish I'd had known that before spending £2000 on an oscilloscope.

Other people have already stated exactly why you can't do what you think you can do, so I won't bother repeating there words, but it seems quite clear thast you are not the hardware engineer that you think you are. Why would you think there's even analogue RGB on the board when theres absolutely no reason for it whatsoever?

Then you insult those people answering your questions for you. Nice move.

If you want, I can send you a link to some schematics if you require further proof.

I take massive heaps of dumps on all the useless crap that has been posted in this thread including our huge dump you just took.

Gruso said:
redfish said:
14yr olds = GTFO
Lose the attitude, you're making a fool of yourself.

And don't think that because Pandora's SoC is (for want od a better term) an off the shelf product, that the team is just throwing a board into a box. A solid year of design work has gone into it. You should take notice of MWeston's posts when they're linked for you, because he's the guy who did it.

If I am making a fool of my self to you, I am doing something right.

In terms of MrWeston's post, he was talking about DVI-D and HD, not VGA. The fact that you cant even get that should be a giant, red, blinking sign that you have no business commenting here.

Which would of required it's own driver board, hence another layer of circuity as he stated. VGA is a uncompressed / digitized signal and would not of required another driver board. VGA would of been more practical and kept some geek factor there so I could plug it into a desktop monitor in a computer bank, or hell even at home so I can keep all my emus and standard def movies in one place so I dont have to have two copies of everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
redfish said:
if you answered yes to either of these questions then you can probably provide some educated input into this question. If not, lets hear what your "theory" is but don't be an ass hat about it.

Why do I Feel you are the real ass hat here ? let me explain :

1) people obviously answered you several times : Pandora uses a SOC design --> no cheap VGA solution if any. And still you go on with your childish "Why ?"
2) insulting people back is the least educated answer you can provide to your "detractors".
3) did you ever think a VGA connector is too big to plug on a Pandora ? it is a small box meant to be in hands. And the heavy VGA cable ?

Even if converting the s-video to vga is easy for you, for them it would include doing it on thousands of boards, so they would have to design a process for doing so and doing so safely. That's no easy task. You can't just go soldering things on there.

redfish said:
I take massive heaps of dumps on all the useless crap that has been posted in this thread including our huge dump you just took.
Wow. Just wow.

You don't need a gaming console, you need to focus on your studies. It might seem like smooth sailing now, but second year is a killer.

Try looking at page 6 in this PDF: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/swpt019a/swpt019a.pdf

It shows that there are 3 video outputs from the OMAP 3430 SoC (the 3530 is basically identical, IIRC). Two are digital outputs for a TFT LCD display (seemingly one for a main display, one for a secondary display, as would be used on a cell phone). The third is SPECIFICALLY an S-Video output. According to the diagram, it converts the digital signal to an analog, S-Video signal WITHIN the SoC, and that S-Video signal can then be routed from the SoC to an external video connector.

Vorporeal said:
Try looking at page 6 in this PDF: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/swpt019a/swpt019a.pdf

It shows that there are 3 video outputs from the OMAP 3430 SoC (the 3530 is basically identical, IIRC). Two are digital outputs for a TFT LCD display (seemingly one for a main display, one for a secondary display, as would be used on a cell phone). The third is SPECIFICALLY an S-Video output. According to the diagram, it converts the digital signal to an analog, S-Video signal WITHIN the SoC, and that S-Video signal can then be routed from the SoC to an external video connector.

I'm seeing it. Its a pretty cool chip, I'de love to see the machine instructions for the fabrication. There still seems to be an open QVGA connection? Do you know where I can find a more technical diagram of these outputs?

redfish said:
Vorporeal said:

I'm seeing it. Its a pretty cool chip, I'de love to see the machine instructions for the fabrication.

Does this help corroborate the popular opinion that there's no easy way for them to provide a VGA-out signal and that there's no easy way for you to hack in your own?

Vorporeal said:
redfish said:
Vorporeal said:

I'm seeing it. Its a pretty cool chip, I'de love to see the machine instructions for the fabrication.

Does this help corroborate the popular opinion that there's no easy way for them to provide a VGA-out signal and that there's no easy way for you to hack in your own?

Thanks for the fast response. Would it be possible to find a more technical diagram of the chip?

redfish said:
You've been told multiple times that the only outputs from the chip are digital RGB to the LCD, and analogue composite/S-Video. There is no analogue RGB anywhere to be found, yet you refuse to believe that this is true. I've even offered you a link to the relevant schematics to which your reply is quoted above.

If you don't want to listen to reason and just troll, then thats fine, but please do it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back