Why Is Final Burn Alpha Good?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I have yet to try Final Burn Alpha. It seems very interesting, but it also just seems like its an unnecessary mash up of a bunch of different emulators into one package, which doesn't function as well as those emulators designed for each individual board. Am I wrong with this?

Why is Final Burn Alpha good?

FBA is an optimized emulator specializing in arcade hardware using M68000 and Z80 CPUs. There is a surprisingly large number of arcade games that use this combination. The M68000 is typically the main CPU and the Z80 is the use for sound.

FBA runs nicely on the GP2X due to a fairly happy coincidence of being able to make use of two excellent ARM assembler CPU cores - Cyclone for the M68000 and DrZ80 for the Z80. These are at least twice as fast as ordinary 'C' version CPU cores. I believe that this is the key reason why FBA is so good on the GP2X - they allow most games to run at full speed.

my less technical answer:

1) It runs some games that other gp2x arcade emus don't.

2) The games it runs that also run on mame usually run faster on this than they do in mame.

3) It runs neo geo games that use rasters which don't work right in gngeo2x

quadomatic said:
mash up of a bunch of different emulators into one package, which doesn't function as well as those emulators designed for each individual board
Nice description of MAME you've got there too ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
Technical reasons aside - no other handheld plays Donpachi (and now Guwange). Checkmate.
:)
Haha! Well technically the psp can play Dodonpachi and Donpachi through POPS. :) No Guwange :ph34r: though or the glorious and groovy Dangun Feveron. That is still my favorite Cave shooter. Also having a lot of the Raizing shooters is a nice added bonus.

Wasnt sure where to post this and didnt want to start a new thread so...

Having now mastered the art of cache'ing (is that even a word?) with FBA (Thanks Manjuu and Bman!!!) :)
Can anyone let me know what other games are worth Cache'ing or what other games benefit from it? (apart from Guwange! ;) )

cd78 said:

Having now mastered the art of cache'ing (is that even a word?) with FBA (Thanks Manjuu and Bman!!!) :)
Can anyone let me know what other games are worth Cache'ing or what other games benefit from it? (apart from Guwange! ;) )
Well so far, these are the games that require caches:
* Cave:
- - Guwange (guwange)
- - Power Instinct 2 (pwrinst2, pwrins2j)
- - Power Instinct Legends (plegends, plegendj)
* CPS-2:
- - Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition (hsf2, hsf2j)
* PGM:
- - Knights of Valour (kov, kov115, kovj, kovplus, kovplusa)
- - Oriental Legend (orlegend, orlegnde, orlegndc, orld111c, orld105k)
- - The Killing Blade (killbld, killbldt) (not working correctly)
* NeoGeo:
- - Large games that have graphic files (C files) larger than ~16MB

Manjuu said:
cd78 said:

Well so far, these are the games that require caches:
* Cave:
- - Guwange (guwange)
- - Power Instinct 2 (pwrinst2, pwrins2j)
- - Power Instinct Legends (plegends, plegendj)
* CPS-2:
- - Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition (hsf2, hsf2j)
* PGM:
- - Knights of Valour (kov, kov115, kovj, kovplus, kovplusa)
- - Oriental Legend (orlegend, orlegnde, orlegndc, orld111c, orld105k)
- - The Killing Blade (killbld, killbldt) (not working correctly)
* NeoGeo:
- - Large games that have graphic files (C files) larger than ~16MB

Thanks Manjuu! B)

Back