Why All The Mysteries And No Clear Updates?

Out of curiosity, why?

I'm fully behind the project - I've been waiting for a device like this for years. I've thought about modding my DS, but that's just not developed enough or powerful to be useful. Laptops are nice, but I don't want to take mine everywhere. We've all been waiting years for a device that is this comprehensive in features for such a reasonable price - we can wait a little longer, I'm sure.

Curlyjs said:
-I don’t think that the PCBs shown on the “Soft top, hard shoulder” blog were the final design. Why? If they were the final PCBs they would have assemble the complete batch of 4000 units in one shot to minimize the cost. Showing only a few means that there still is some hardware functionalities that could not have been tested in the previous rev. So, when is the final rev. planned?
This is insanely hard to get right, especially when you HAVE to get it right first time, fraction of a mm on every component. Making sure the design is the best it can be, if something is out it could stress a part and snap. There would be a recall, they CANNOT risk anything like this. The waiting will be worth it.

anyone remember those Nintendo's DS's which developed a crack near the shoulder pads...

Last edited by a moderator:
True enough. The shoulder crack was still a problem up until a year or so ago.

Anyway, the PCBs shown in the blog were dev boards, and have been sent out to developers. That's why there were only a few produced.

vaustein said:
Strike that - I just asked for a refund.
Must admit, am thinking the same thing - but I will sleep on it :)

I do have faith Pandora will come to fruition, but things have just kept slipping and slipping, and I suppose we all have different tolerance levels :) If I do decide to drop out, I'm sure I'll come back on board later next year when I'll be able to have greater confidence that its all up and running smoothly.

There is a kind of irony here - I may be way off mark, but I'm guessing the Pandora dev team probably have a bit more respect for GPH now that they've come to learn first hand the trials and tribulations of a small but dedicated team trying to bring something like this to market.

On second thoughts, I'll think its far more likely than not that I'll keep my stake in this as I've believed in it since the start, but there must be a reasonable limit somewhere I suppose - I guess I'll know when we get there :)

Cheers

centrlink said:
There is a kind of irony here - I may be way off mark, but I'm guessing the Pandora dev team probably have a bit more respect for GPH now that they've come to learn first hand the trials and tribulations of a small but dedicated team trying to bring something like this to market.

This is very much the case. Though in return, GPH is probably much more appreciative of Craig now. They just pushed back their release by three months (after an initial one month delay to fix the buttons) and there really hasn't been any negative feedback from the Wiz pre-order customers. I guess everybody is so distracted by the Pandora that nobody noticed. :lol:

Micro BGA is not new technology been around a while now ,who is manufacturing these ? it is only one profile :blink:

fat bernard said:
Micro BGA is not new technology been around a while now ,who is manufacturing these ? it is only one profile :blink:
Yes BGA have been around for some time now... but not BGA with 0.4mm ball pitch. Also this is a Package on Package meaning that the ram is on top of the processor itself. Those two factors make a good challenge for assembly houses.

JS

BTW, the purpose of this tread was to create a list of items that remained to be done before shipping... Chip I guess it's a definitive "no" to this suggestion?

I remember back when SGstair was working on the DS wifi libs, he had a nice list of everything that needed to be done and an estimated percentage next to it and he updated it every week/couple of weeks.

fusion_power said:
MWeston always post the Stuff I want to read, very nice and very Thanx! :)

I can only imagine that when you quit your day job to work on a startup-like project like the pandora that you tend to know what you're talking about!

God, I hope craigx shares a large % of the profits with him.

Vorporeal said:
Out of curiosity, why?
Because I fully expected to receive my Pandora before the new year. That clearly will not happen. CraigX and co. are good and dedicated people who promised more than they could deliver on schedule. I'll be back for the next batch, but for now, I can better utilize the over $400 USD this has cost me.

how has this cost you over $400 USD? The price was $330, which with tax is $350.

yashton said:
how has this cost you over $400 USD? The price was $330, which with tax is $350.
+ Shipping and accessories, dev fund etc? My order, for example, totalled 338.95 with shipping in Europe, which is US$521 at today's rates.

yashton said:
mine was nearly 400.
after international shipping, currency conversions, tax, and the device itself, it was 380.
doing both of those again- well, it will add up well over.

Fat Agnus said:
fusion_power said:
MWeston always post the Stuff I want to read, very nice and very Thanx! :)

I can only imagine that when you quit your day job to work on a startup-like project like the pandora that you tend to know what you're talking about!

God, I hope craigx shares a large % of the profits with him.

no, obviously mweston had no say in the matter and hes being forced into work

(thank god for post merge- im so out of it today)

Back