• Nope, not me!

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

dflemstr

It's a ball.
Website
Visit site
I'm actually interested in knowing.

Unlike the other poll out there, this is a neutral one.

As you can see, I've voted for option 3, as I don't want to share my opinion.

pandora_render.jpg

My passion for the Pandora never fades, and I still charge my friends around me with the rush of Pandoradrenoline. Even after all this time. I am unshakable.

I am still interested in the Pandora. It is unique. I wish it could have better specs in the same enclosure though.

The biggest thing that could bumb me out is if a 5" netbook-like device with a snapdragon processor comes out right after I get the pandora. The hardware is getting a bit old and its not even out yet, that is, IMHO, the biggest downer going for the pandora.

dbrodie said:
The biggest thing that could bumb me out is if a 5" netbook-like device with a snapdragon processor comes out right after I get the pandora. The hardware is getting a bit old and its not even out yet, that is, IMHO, the biggest downer going for the pandora.

That's really a silly thing to worry about- there's no way to say whether a 1ghz snapdragon would outperform a 600mhz TI omap3 at this point anyway. If it does outperform, I will bet the difference will be marginal, especially when factoring in light-weight vs heavy weight OS's- the Pandora will be running a fairly light weight OS which, as we've already seen, allows much better performance for thing like emulators. Take a look at what PSX4All performance is like on an iPhone 3GS compared to what it is like on the pandora right now. And I think zodttd has spent much more time trying to get it to run faster on the iphone, but to no avail so far.

In short, it's not a simple comparison to make. And I think this hardware is going to be plenty powerful and more than competitive performance wise in today's market.

Last edited by a moderator:
dbrodie said:

The hardware at best is currently only about half a year old in comparison to what else is available on the market, and there is still nothing that's really better out there, just equivalent in a crappier form factor with locked down OSes.

The system is also as powerful as it always has originally been, it doesn't just degrade. It'll still play 720p h264 video and run all the same emulators we were expecting it to, and still have the same good battery life. Even if there was a 5" snapdragon netbook released it still wouldn't have game controls, and it would still be a bigger, less convenient form factor. The only way there will be better than something than the pandora at the jobs the pandora is designed to do is if they directly ripped off everything, and nobody in sight is doing anything like that, they're all too busy ripping off the iphone and the touch screen with no buttons gimmick, which to me is a huge step backwards.

slygamer said:
People reading this forum obviously have some interest in the Pandora, otherwise why would they be reading this forum?
I was thinking the same :)

Back