Who Likes Old School Wargames?

Empire Deluxe, Civilization, CivNet... I absolutely loved those games. If you made something similar for Pandora it would be great :)

Make it relatively simple. Turn based, big world map, terrain, cities and exploring... would be a huge hit... at least with me ;)

yeah, my goal was turn based (I should've pointed that out ;), and skinnable .. ie: unit configuration described in a file with refersw to artwork to use, so be in modern or fantasy would be irrelevent to the engine per se. (Mostly fantasy implies they have various abilities such as spell casting and such, but that would be way down the road.)

AdvanceWars is the sort of thing I'd be steering away fomr a bit .. not that theres anythign wrong with AW, but I'm not up to that levle of quality ;) But more to point .. those more modern gtames tend to be small area of play and veyr keenly crafted levels and situations to put you into a specific conflict; I'm talking about large theatre of war (large maps), and when you move a unit into another they ifhgt it out right there.. no side-view animated combat, just blam blam and one unit lives (or another retreats possibly ;) -- really, I'd aim small and then grow it over time.

It seems theres definately some interest (probably more from the Advance Wars crowd since thosre types of games have been so enormously popular of late), and from the old school like me; mostly it'd be a fun project, and sounds like lots of peopel would take a look, so I'll see more seriously about it :)

Now if only I had as much free time as I did 3 years ago :)

jeff

Eolair said:
Empire Deluxe, Civilization, CivNet... I absolutely loved those games. If you made something similar for Pandora it would be great :)

Make it relatively simple. Turn based, big world map, terrain, cities and exploring... would be a huge hit... at least with me ;)

I haven't seen a post by you in a while. You finally back now that we should hopefully be hitting the final stretches?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda like these sort of tile based strategy games, the ones that I really got into were the following:
  1. Dune 2.
  2. Populous 1, 2 & The Beginning.
  3. Mega-lo-mania.
  4. Command and Conquer.
I'm actually playing the original Amiga version of Populous at the moment!

God Ginrai said:
Eolair said:

I haven't seen a post by you in a while. You finally back now that we should hopefully be hitting the final stretches?

-God Ginrai
I've been taking a break from actively posting, but I'm still watching the board and waiting like everyone else. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut when I saw this topic. I'm nuts for turned based war games :)

Some more games worthy of mention:

1. Armada2525
2. Warlords
3. Stars!
4. Strategic Command
5. Heroes of M&M
6. Master of Orion

Port it. Clone it. Home brew it. I'll play it. :)

Total Anihillation is my all time favourite if we're allowed to RTS games.

Had a little go of Battle for Wesnoth as soon as I heard there was a pandora version. Very good fun until I had my first whooping and then I rather put it down. I will of course revisit it in a couple of months time :p
I'm also going to follow that freeCIV link at some stage.

I love "Advance Wars" and at least there has not be a start from zero if anyone want to make a Pandora game like this. maybe the old GP2X project could be some kind of base for a Pandora-game:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/42250-my-advance-wars-game/

sadly, this promising project looks a little bit dead right now but I can imagine that such a game could be really the burner if it's been done right. :)

Back