Release White Butterfly and Excellent Bifurcation

The problem I would have with option #4 is, that you can't see all of the playfield at once, which makes this really hard game even harder. Personally I NEED to see the ships as soon, as they appear to be able to react...

I don't think i can code the advanced option 4 sadly :(

Yeah, the original option #4 wouldn't be of much use, I agree. The "fancy" option #4 was more of a pie-in-the-sky wish, I didn't think it was actually plausible - I imagine it would be quite difficult to code.

By the way, I downloaded Excellent Bifurcation - seems to run quite well. Interestingly, when I named it excellentbifurcation.pnd it didn't show up in my start menu. Seems there's a limit on how long a PND name can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats interesting, never ran into too long pndnames. Or maybe it needed to adapt? Have you restarted after renaming?

Ok, then I have no clue why it doesn't work...

I found a bug in Excellent Bifurcation. If I die during engagement with one of the big enemies that fire a laser at the beginning of level two, the laser sound keeps sounding until I quit the game. I have no idea if this is specific to the Pandora version or not.

Thank you! Yes, I find it much more playable that way.

I understand that not everyone will agree though, so a dialogue at the start allowing a choice between "800x480 (fullscreen)", "600x480 (original width)" and "480x480 (original aspect ratio)" would be ideal.

Haven't played this game in a minute. Fired it up on the old .PND first, got to the 3rd level on my first attempt. With the new .PND, I couldn't get back to level 3 in 3 games.

I like when the entire Pandora screen is used, but that's also part of the allure of this game is that "look", the feel, and the sound. My 2ç

I finished Excellent Bifurcation on "easy" yesterday. It's a much shorter game than I expected, actually. I guess I'll try it on the harder difficulty levels later on. I kinda wish that Garden of Coloured Lights allowed me to start at the beginning of later levels like EB does.

And sorry, I haven't tested the PC version yet; had a lot of things to do. Will do it when I get some time, though.

A few problems with the new White Butterfly that I noticed (not sure if it affected the older one or not).

The high scores are reset every time I start it. And I have to reselect the action keys every time, too.

Yes, that is normal behaviour for this quick testbuild, as I packaged it on another pc than I compiled it.

When I make the chooseresolution launcher, I will fix it.

I finished most of Linley Henzell´s shooters, and it was a hard work of perseverance.

I must say a big congratulation to Mcobit for porting them to Pandora and I take you to be a hell of a great person as well as a capable coder to no end!

The kind of care you take into your projects as well as attending to users is just outstanding and it sets a role to be followed. SUPER CONGRATULATIONS!

I´d sincerely wish Linley would release more prods, I haven´t seen any news on his doings for quite a while, but he is one of my heroes.

Mcobit, I wonder, could you please release a version with the correct aspect ratio that also doesn't reset the high scores every time I restart the PND?  This was corrected for the stretched version but not for the "genuine" version.

Also, possibly bundle both of them on the Repo so that people can choose whether they want to play the game stretched or in the correct aspect ratio (personally, I think the default stretched setting makes it much less playable, particularly in the third level where predicting curved trajectories becomes important).

I will have a look but cannot promise any timeline.

Back