Release Sylpheed 3.4.2 with GnuPG support

Ziz

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I was always annoyed, that the existing sylpheed version was outdated and without encryption support, so I built the recent version with GnuPG (in fact I need two fucking days >.<).

When I start it, I have the same userdata like with the older port. However I know I did some symlink magic for this old version once, so please tell me, whether this port does bad stuff like writing to NAND or not using your already existing sylpheed data.

Or solve it with symlinks on your own. :)

So for the unaware people, what is Sylpheed?

Sylpheed is a quite small and fast e-mai client with support for all mainly used mail protocols and with excellent GnuPG support built in.

For screenshots please have a look at the repo package:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=Sylpheed

So the reasons to replace the old sylpheed PND?

• Recent version
  • Encryption support
  • You don't like 4nd Floor spam in your PNDs :p
greetings ZizUpdate 1 (8th May 2014):

Added a command line for gpg2 stuff

Update 2 (9th May 1014):

Added the GnuPG Privacy Assistant, a GUI for GnuPG tasks like creating keys, loading keys from keyservers or sending your own key to a keyserver.

Update 3 (17th June 1014):

Updated to recent version 3.4.2.

Last edited by a moderator:
aww, for a moment i thjought it was

this

silpheed.png

No, unfortunately not. :D

However I had to improve the pnd to really encrypt and sign mails. I had to add some missing libraries for gpg and pinentry for entering PWs in creating keys.

Furthermore I added a starter for a terminal for the included gpg2, e.g to create a key in the first place. Maybe I could add later a GUI for GPG2, too.

The .gnupg folder is created in the sylpheed appdata folder. It didn't work for me with fat32, so sylpheed is now on my ext2 partition of my sd card. ;)

Yes yes yes!!!!!

Thunderbirds encryption I couldn't get to work. Even though pgp looks setup it could never create keys or import mine.

I'll give it a go and let you know if it works OK

It works for me, I was able to send myself encrypted and signed mails. So I hope for the best.

Awesome, that you realized the release, in fact I made it with you in mind, because I knew, that you searched a mail client on the Pandora with encryption support. :)

Ah thanks so much XD

Slypheed doesn't seem to let you create encryption keys so I'll create some on my desktop tonight, import them then let you know if it does.

Yes, Sylpheed is an email program. Why should it let you create keys? However I shipped a "gpg console" with sylpheed. Just have a look in "Settings"->"GnuPG Shell (from Sylpheed)". Then create a key with "./gpg2 --gen-key".

Last edited by a moderator:
For easier key creating, importing, exporting, submitting to servers etc., I added the GnuPG Privacy Assistant, a GUI for this stuff. :)

I want to thank the one person, who gave my port a one star voting.

I am quite sure, there were good reasons to appreciate my three days of work to port this without any comment in the repository or here in the board.

Thanks you little piece of ;)

Hm, still need an E-Mail program for my Pandora, I actualy could test this. I also wanted to test encrypted mails but I have 0 experience with that. I guess it does not work simply by clicking an "encrypt mail" button, right? ;)

And the person who recieves the encrypted mail also need an client that can handle these kind of mails I guess?

AH man that sucks. I'll give you a 5 star when I get home.

Actually in thunderbird and slypheed it is that easy once its setup.

The tricky part is setting it up :/

Ive not succeeded in setting it up yet but once I have Ill write a guide on how I did it.

Hm, still need an E-Mail program for my Pandora, I actualy could test this. I also wanted to test encrypted mails but I have 0 experience with that. I guess it does not work simply by clicking an "encrypt mail" button, right? ;)

And the person who recieves the encrypted mail also need an client that can handle these kind of mails I guess?
Short explanation:You create a pair of keys, which work together. One key is your key and secret, only you should know it.

The other key is public, everyone knows it. This key can be used to encrypt mails for you. Only you are able to decrypt these mails with your secret key. The mail client of the sender of course has to support encryption.

The other possibility is to sign messages. You can use your secret key to sign your message. Everybody is still able to read it (e.g. a man in the middle, the NSA and of course Santa Claus). However the recipient can check with the public key, whether the message was not changed!

So, what do you need to do? You need to

• For getting encrypted mails, you need a pair of keys. The easiest way to create this pair is with the GnuPG Privacy Assistant, which I bundle to this PND. In the menu click Keys->New Key and fill in all the necessary fields. Any person, who wants to write you a mail now needs your public key. The easiest way to publish this key is via the keyservers (Server -> Send Keys). With this you can send your public key to the public key servers, where anyone can download your key. ;) However for really trustworthy communication, you should call your sender (yeah, in real with a phone) and you should check, whether the fingerprint of the public key is correct, because you don't know, whether you can trust the key server!
  • For sending encrypted mails you need the public key of the recipient. Get it via Server->Retrive Keys. Of course you need to know, where to search this key, there is more than one key server. ;)
Every key is connected to a name and an e-mail address. So if you write a mail in sylpheed and want to sign it, sylpheed searches for a private key for your mail address. If you want to encrypt a message, sylpheed searches for public keys for the recipient's mail address. However as said before, you have to download this key before. ;)
GPA shows you all your public and private keys.

Hm, ok, that's a "little" bit more complex than just pushing a button, no wonder that not many people use encrypted E-mails yet. I guess it will still take some time until someone finds an easier solution for this problem.

Anyways, thanks for the short explanation. :)

Updated to recent Version 3.4.2, although I think it didn't change very much.

Just downloaded the new version and run it, and I get a dialogue:

Filename encoding

The locale encoding is not UTF-8, but the environmental variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is not set.

If the locale encoding is used for file name or directory name, it will not work correctly.

In that case, you must set the following environmental variable (see README for detail):

G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale

Continue?
Not sure what I'm supposed to actually do here. Any help?

Hm, continue and hope, that it doesn't popup again?

Back