While Waiting... What Would You Like To See?

Hmm... actual collision detection, buildings that you don't pass right through, things other than your car which move... pretty sure this Taxi Racer has a lot more going for it than Big Rigs.

WizardStan said:
Hmm... actual collision detection, buildings that you don't pass right through, things other than your car which move... pretty sure this Taxi Racer has a lot more going for it than Big Rigs.

Oh man, just looked that game up. Big Rigs

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I just learned: Taxi Racer and Big Rigs were made by the same company. How can a company fail so epically twice?

I thought about mentioning BROTRR, but I thought that might be stretching the definition of the word "game". And really Big Rigs might very well have been a decent game if they had actually finished making it before it was released.

Most of the problems with Superman for the Nintendo 64, though, were by the original design. It's pretty clear that from start of development they had no intention of making a game someone might enjoy playing. To quote Joel and the Bots: "They just didn't care".

Middo said:
EvilDragon said:
While I can't do a video of the assembly line, I can certainly do one which shows all steps involved in assembly from the beginning to the end, including our testings, so you can see what your Pandora has to go through before you receive it :)

Nice idea.

Will also try and gather the games you mentioned here for videos.

ED - How about the 17 min video from MWeston showing the assembly?

Am I the only one who wants to see the original assembly video???

worzyl said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned as I haven't checked through all the pages, but I wouldn't mind seeing a video of some multiplayer pandora action.
Specifically showing:

1) 2,3 or 4 players action on one pandora (Ninja turtles, Esp Rade, Streetfighter, Bomberman etc)
2) 2 or more pandoras having a multi player FPS battle.

You are absolutely right. We haven`t seen much multiplayer action yet. Neither on one pandora nor with multiple pandorae.
What about TV-Out cable and multiplayer on a single pandora? I mean, one player playing with the pandora as gamepad, and other player using an USB Gamepad to play. Both playing together looking at the TV Screen? That would be nice!

Is there any software out there yet that does 3D or video decoding using hardware acceleration? I'd be very interested in seeing some videos of that! Preferably shown back to back with a comparable non-accelerated demo so you can see the benefits.

--Zero

Ze_ro said:
Is there any software out there yet that does 3D or video decoding using hardware acceleration? I'd be very interested in seeing some videos of that! Preferably shown back to back with a comparable non-accelerated demo so you can see the benefits.
3D acceleration: anything that uses OpenGL(ES), which is pretty much everything that is 3D now. There isn't some switch that can be flipped on and off: either the program makes openGL calls which uses the hardware, or it draws to a flat surface in software; it's entirely up to the program to make these choices. I don't think any of the 3D games that are available even have a software rendering mode. Maybe the Doom engines do, but they hardly exemplify a good benchmark. But the Quake games and Mupen64 are all using the 3D hardware, at least. I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting.
Video decoding using the DSP is part of a later kernel which isn't even part of HotFix 4 yet. There's a lot of new things in the next kernel which break some old stuff; it's going to be a few months before we get it, I suspect, meaning no DSP decompression for a bit. The only thing it would really help with is h264 decompression.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this (or if ED has already stopped taking requests), but I would love to see a quickie "impressions" vid of that "X stylus" Elton was shopping around here. From what he's said it sounds like ED should have a sample of it already. :)

Near-kun said:
worzyl said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned as I haven't checked through all the pages, but I wouldn't mind seeing a video of some multiplayer pandora action.
Specifically showing:

1) 2,3 or 4 players action on one pandora (Ninja turtles, Esp Rade, Streetfighter, Bomberman etc)
2) 2 or more pandoras having a multi player FPS battle.

You are absolutely right. We haven`t seen much multiplayer action yet. Neither on one pandora nor with multiple pandorae.
What about TV-Out cable and multiplayer on a single pandora? I mean, one player playing with the pandora as gamepad, and other player using an USB Gamepad to play. Both playing together looking at the TV Screen? That would be nice!

Cool idea about the TV-Out cable, multiplayer on single pandora. Even go as far as having a USB 4 player adapter for showing 4 players on one Pandora hooked up to a TV. http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/USB_Adapters
Yeah - all these multiplayer options would be great to see.

ED, you call yourself a gamer yet do you not have any usb controllers? That's blasphemy! Don't make me order you a retropad...

Mofokubik said:
ED, you call yourself a gamer yet do you not have any usb controllers? That's blasphemy! Don't make me order you a retropad...

Why should I?
None of my consoles use USB ports.
My SNES uses SNES controllers, my Wii Wii Controllers (I have classic controllers attached to it, as I also use it for emulation), my MegaDrive uses MegaDrive controllers, etc.
And my arcade machine has arcade controls ;)

I was never a PC gamer... so I have no idea why I should have a USB pad.
I usually play the classic games on the original console :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Mofokubik said:

Why should I?
My SNES uses SNES controllers, my Wii Wii Controllers (I have classic controllers attached to it, as I also use it for emulation), my MegaDrive uses MegaDrive controllers, etc.
And my arcade machine has arcade controls ;)

I was never a PC gamer... so I have no idea why I should have a USB pad.
I usually play the classic games on the original console :)

Hmmmm, what to post...... could be either
"Blah, showoff..."
or
"Whahaha, awesome! :) "

just jealous i guess ;)

Cheers!

Frankly, ED wins the thread. :p

I don't have any USB controllers either, just a SNES-to-USB adapter for the rare occasions I need such a thing.

I modded my megadrive with a 60hz switch and a region switch just before christmas, and then started buying carts again. I think I find buying the carts a lot more satisfying than playing them though.

I'm looking into buying a Japanese arcade machine right now. They are really pricey, and the other half is giving me a hard time over the space it would take up, and the fact that 'it's just a stupid, massive tv in a box'.

there are already lot of emus so millions of games. there is room for improvement, in N64, psx and GBA, but the rest are ok

I would like to see:

- more office appz, evolution + google calendar sync ;)
- gimp
- HW video acceleration
- a mixer to allow several audio lines to play
- audio aplications to record from line-in, mic, etc and compress to ogg/mp3
- I recently used 99% of the nand, a packet manager like synaptic will be great. And for the next version of the OS, I recomend to remove some programs, like the tiny webbrowsers (they crash every 3 minutes), the notepad (there is already an advanced text editor), and some other.
- skype support rocks (but not possible at the moment I think)
- flash support

edit: and more pandoras arround. seems that the repositories are frozen, only few releases per month, maybe if more people get pandora moore PNDs and devs will appear :)

EvilDragon said:
JeanLouSchmidt said:
I'd really like to see a 2 players game on usb gamepads with tv-out.

I'll try to do that - but I lack of USB Gamepads, as I'm only a console player :)
Tryting to get some though.
EvilDragon said:
Mofokubik said:

Why should I?
Why not using your wiimote for second player ?

I have to say a video of the Pandora being assembled would be great, considering what we have heard about how hard it is to put the LCD ribbon cable and the fact the hinge would have to basically be broken to remove it, a good assembly video would allow us to see just how complex the structure is without anyone having to bust a hinge to look around inside! Also might be a good video to have on hand to post a link to when people ask why it's so hard to replace the ribbon themselves as you can say "look at (minute: seconds) in this video and see if you think you can do that" LOL

Back