Whighing In On The Gp2x

Classic Team

Website
classicteam.110mb.com
I know this is probubly a supid question to be asking, but recently Ive been earning money to purchase a GP2X. However, Ive specked to a person who bought the unit and was unsatisfied, saying that the buttions were poorly misplaced casing screen splashes and the analog is horable, along with the waiting time for the unit to boot. I would like to ask, is this true? Ive looked at A few GP2X Youtube videos and these apears false, however it keeps bugging me. I don't want to by a unit I have trobule controlling the games on, neather the screen splashes. If this is false, how can I prevent it from going into that state?

Also: Can the GP2X Run Nintendo 64 games,or is there no emulator for that yet? I would like to know this so I can collect the ROMS before I get the unit. And lastly, since I'm in Oregon, were is the best place to buy a GP2X?

Thanks,
Classic Team (AKA Mygames19)

Sounds like the person you talked to got a first edition unit. I've had none of those problems with my MK2.

I bought mine from play-asia.com (in Hong Kong), but you might want to check out one of the US retailers (there weren't any when I bought mine).

Some people just don't like the stick (some go as far as to replace it with a hacked-in Dpad). I like it though.

BTW: Where in Oregon are you? I'm in Klamath County, in the middle of nowhere.

none of those problems are real problems except the stick problem which is mainly a problem for fighting games like street fighter. N64 emulation will never happen ever at even close to playable speeds. Buy your gp2x from gp2xstore.com there located in California and have great prices and service.

but then the N64 emulator on PSP is unusable.

I thought that Daedalus R11 ran Mario Kart 64 and a few other games at just about fullspeed.

Alright, so what I understand so far:

Try buying from GP2X store.com, there in California.
Nintendo 64 would run too slow, therefore it is not on the GP2X.
...and its not an anlog stick, and it only has problems when it is being used at a extremely high rate...

New Questions:
than if its not an analog, what is it?
if the Nintendo 64 will not run, why have I seen the Playstation run in it?
Difforence between First Edition, MK2 and the GP2X in the Value Pack?

There's nothing wrong with the buttons. But the digital stick can be very annoying at times. ( Fighting games such as Street Fighter is one example. ) The boottime is not that bad, maybe 15 seconds at most, and after that there's not much loading screens after that.

If you like fighting and shootemups then check out CPS2 and NeoGeo roms. :)

...Okay, thats good to know. dont buy a First Edition anywere. But that still doesint explain why the Playstation works on the GP2X and the 64 does not, or what you would call the D-Pad (Disigned as a Pad, Stick, ect.)

EDIT: Also, I just fould out that Play-Asia is asking less for the GP2x but there fearther away... So I dont know which one is better. (FYI, Play Asia is asking 179.99 and GP2Xstore is asking 194.99...)

The PSX emu isnt and will most likely never be playable speeds. You could write an N64 emulator for the GP2x, but that doesnt mean that it will be playable.

I dont have any problems with the stick, and the placement of the buttons is only annoying when trying to play an emulated system where you are used to the real systems controller layout. (i.e. SNES controls were not a PSX diamond shape, they were skewed more).

Chances are you wont find a first edition anywhere even if you wanted one.

Get yours from www.gp2xstore.com like some others have said.

You will probably have import taxes with Play Asia.

if the Nintendo 64 will not run, why have I seen the Playstation run in it?

it is harder to emulate Nintendo 64 than Playstation also the Playstation emulator can only run 5% of the all Playstation games full speed but lots of games are playable even they are not full speed

Difforence between First Edition, MK2 and the GP2X in the Value Pack?

see http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Hardware_Versions

Okay, thanks people. Oh, and lastly (and I want your opinion) Is it really worth the owning of a GP2X and how long do you think its lifespan will go? And lastly, anything I sould know about before I purchase the unit.

Thanks-
Classic Team (AKA Mygames19)

If you like retro gaming, nice good homebrew and the best community you can get and to be able to watch movies on the go without the need of spending hours of converting, then you won't regret buying a GP2X.

Define "Lifespan"... it is not like you are buying one to play a current crop of games. The GP2x is good at what it does... and for the most part that is playing emulated games from the past and it will always do that... and for some emulators like Mame, Neo Geo, Coleco, SNES, Genesis, Lynx, etc.. etc... etc... what more are you expecting.

Its like buying a DvD player and expecting it to someday play Blueray. I personally do not feel that there is a lifespan for this device. It is doing what it does... and it will perhaps do a little more as the developers continue to work on it, but it has pretty much already exceeded my expectations.

Where else can you get value like this? To be able to play all these games for the relatively low cost of the device... a SD card... and in my case... rechargeable batteries... and a charger.

Ripster, I think your right. Thanks everyone for posting, Ive got some valuble info on this. Now, last questions. Which batteries are best for long life? Kerkland, (thats Cosco) Energizer, Duracell? and what size SD card do you suggest? (Remember, Im trying to stay on a tight bugget, but I also want to hold 100 - 200 games, not to mention Music, Videos and Photos.)

I have a 1 GB card, and since I recently discovered some god games for MAME and CPS2 I can no longer have those games + GBA + SNES + SEGA at the same time on one card.. Not to mention MP3s or Videos.

I suggest at least 2 GB.

Don't waste your time with disposable batteries. You need some rechargeable batteries. Many people will recommend 2500mAh batteries or better, those are really hard to find, I find 2000mAh is good enough. Generic rechargeables work fine.

SD cards over 2gb aren't very compatible (better compatibility with larger cards is being worked on) so do check on the wiki/forums to make sure the card will work if you're going to get one larger than 2gb.

Classic Team, I have a GP2X, PSP & DS Lite. I will concentrate on PSP & GP2X in this reply to help answer some of your questions.

Screen - No problems on GP2X - all clear! The only issue is the view angle. If you plan on watching a movie with a friend it will cause problems. If you are playing or watching alone :blink: it will be fine. PSP screen is great for movies, but ghosting can be a (minor) problem, as can the ratio for some emulators.

Control : For emulators i think the GP2X easily beats the PSP. Use the 'GP2X' cap (CraigX cap i think??!) and everything works fine. The GPX is completely digital, but try running most 8 or 16 bit systems on PSP's analogue nub, or ""d-pad"" and you will see the difference <_<

N-64 : Some systems are just not meant to be emulated properly on current handhelds! The PSP has perfect PS1 emulation on PSP using Dark Alex. However, I feel the N64 emulation is worse than PS1 emulation on GP2X. Whilst we have seen great progess on emulation on both systems (SNES, GBA & Amiga), I honestly do not think N64 will be fully playable on either until GP3X/ PSP2 come out!

Price : I got mine on gp2x.co.uk - good deals witth 4GB SD & extra's. I'm sure you can get it cheaper in the US. Lifespan : Serioulsy? :huh: NES, Genesis, Atari ST, MAME, SNES, GBA, NeoGeo, TG16, 2600, C64 etc & etc .. Tens of thousands of games available and that is not including homebrew games. Yeah, i think lifespan is not an issue :)

Hey man if you're going to get a memory card, get it from these guys: LINK

They sell memory in the U.S. for super cheap! I think that they are in California, so it should reach you shortly if you decide to order from them...

Edit: They also have rechargeable batteries and chargers... LINK
BTW, I have bought things from them and they have great service!

Back