Whighing In On The Gp2x

Definitely get some 2500mAh NiMh rechargeable batteries, disposable batteries will only last for something like 15 minutes.

Ok... I will chime in on the battery and sd card issue. As far as SD cards go... they are pretty cheap on eBay... I was able to get a 2GB Kingston Elite card for about $20 shipped, not the fastest card available but it works fine for the GP2x. It only annoys me when I am downloading content to it, but that is expected.

For batteries... rechargeables are definitely the way to go. I purchases some Energizer 2500's prior to doing any research on the subject, that was a bit of an oops. After doing some research I found that there are some new batteries available that do not discharge nearly as quickly as the normal NiMH batteries do... the two most readily available one's in North America are the Eneloop from Sanyo 2000mAH and the Rayovac Hybrid 2100 mAH which I bought. Though the capacities are not as high as some of the newer rechargeables I like the fact that I can count on them being relatively fully charged when I need them. Do a search and compare what is available and decide for yourself... the price different between is slight. Besides the GP2x comes with 4-2500mAH rechargeables enough for between 8-10 hours of gaming.

Battery chargers... they are different, and the best one I found for a reasonable price was from RipVan100, called the Lightning 4000N. It has a function to discharge the batteries fully before recharging them, plus it does this by pulse charging (maintaining a low temperature when charging). Fast chargers can create high temperatures that can actually damage the batteries and shorten the life of them. Also this charger will trickle charge the batteries to near 98% capacity (if you do a search someone tested this). The only issues I have with RipVan100 is they state that delivery to Canada is 3-5 days... mine took 18 and during this time I emailed them 3 times without a response.... in short their customer service sucks. But it did arrive and I am happy with the product so far. Its seems to have a lot of the features of much more expensive chargers for the current price of $24.95 (regular price is $29.95).

Sooooooooooooooooo... in reality all you really need is a good charger, you already have rechargeables with your GP2x... at least my Value Unit came with them. But I would order my charger the same time as my GP2x so they arrive together... and if possible the charger first. Nothing worse than having your GP2x and be unable to play it because the batteries are not charged (rechargeables do not come charged since they discharge so badly). But if you do want to get some extras I would definitely recommend you check out the new technology.

Thanks. :D
So... It would be nise if I could just go to a store and buy this, it would be much cheaper that way:
PGI 2GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Card Model AE30-2030-0101
on Newegg.com
and... In I need more room I wont get anything larger than 2 gig. I dont want to have to wait for it to load for more than 5 seconds.

And... since the GP2X comes with 4 rechargable batteries... I dont think Ill need more. However, do I have to have a charger like the one Ripster mentioned?

You should be able to find a SD card at a Staples/Office Depot/Wal-Mart or whatever.

"in reality all you really need is a good charger...But I would order my charger the same time as my GP2x so they arrive together...Nothing worse than having your GP2x and be unable to play it because the batteries are not charged"

He's saying that you don't need a fancy charger like his. In fact I use a fast charger. I also have some of those ones that charge in 15 minutes. I don't want to wait for my batteries to charge and when they finally commit seppukku (as in they stop working), they will be cheap to replace anyway.

Actually what I am saying is you don't need a charger like mine, but for the price its well worth it. It will charge the battery more fully and your batteries will last much longer. The downside is that you will not have it charged in 15 minutes... the rapid chargers do not come anywhere near a full charge (in the 85% of full capacity range) but then neither does the one I bought, however it does trickle charges it and tops it off to about 98% full charge.

Here is one review on the subject ( http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM )... but there is a much better one somewhere. They actually tested a number of chargers... and compared them.

Once charged you will have a good 4 hours of playtime... more than enough to recharge the dead batteries.

If you already have a charger then by all means just use it. For me I like to do the research and find what I feel works best for me. Nothing worse than spending money on something only to find out you should have bought something else... which in the end is what you are going to do anyway. Like the new technology batteries... I can charge them and leave them in a storage case for when I need them. Meanwhile I can just cycle my old style rechargeables. It will be nice to know that I have enough power for about 20 hours when I go on my weekend trip to the cabin next weekend.

Classic Team said:
...Okay, thats good to know. dont buy a First Edition anywere. But that still doesint explain why the Playstation works on the GP2X and the 64 does not, or what you would call the D-Pad (Disigned as a Pad, Stick, ect.)

EDIT: Also, I just fould out that Play-Asia is asking less for the GP2x but there fearther away... So I dont know which one is better. (FYI, Play Asia is asking 179.99 and GP2Xstore is asking 194.99...)
I bought payback from the gp2x store two towns over here in California and received an empty envelope, stick with Play-Asia, they have always delivered and for less. Batteries/chargers check out Ni-MH prices at http://batteryjunction.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic Team said:
Also: Can the GP2X Run Nintendo 64 games,or is there no emulator for that yet? I would like to know this so I can collect the ROMS before I get the unit. And lastly, since I'm in Oregon, were is the best place to buy a GP2X?

Thanks,
Classic Team (AKA Mygames19)
You are from Oregon? Wow yer spellin' is "horable" for being a native English speaker.

Anyway no N64 will never run fullspeed on the GP2X, no hardware 3D chip to do such things.

I believe that you would be better off with a PSP. :blink:

Emulation on both consoles is fairly similar -- OK some emulators on PSP are better, some on GP2X are better, but in general they are comparable.

However, because you don't seem sure of whether you should get a GP2X I don't know if it is the right thing for you. The main thing is that if you get bored of emulators and classic games in a few months time, you can play commercial games on a PSP -- that is not an option on the GP2X. Besides isn't a PSP cheaper now? If you find that you do like emulators you could then consider getting a GP2X later.

OR how about a second-hand GP32 to see if you like it. I still use my GP32, but never touch my First Edition GP2X. Just a thought.

Classic Team said:
In I need more room I wont get anything larger than 2 gig. I dont want to have to wait for it to load for more than 5 seconds.
SD capacity has no bearing on load times :S.

DaveC said:
Classic Team said:
Also: Can the GP2X Run Nintendo 64 games,or is there no emulator for that yet? I would like to know this so I can collect the ROMS before I get the unit. And lastly, since I'm in Oregon, were is the best place to buy a GP2X?

Thanks,
Classic Team (AKA Mygames19)
You are from Oregon? Wow yer spellin' is "horable" for being a native English speaker.

Anyway no N64 will never run fullspeed on the GP2X, no hardware 3D chip to do such things.

Good God, what's your problem? It's just some new guy trying to learn more about a system he is interested in. Most people realized that he didn't know that the N64 can't run at all on the gp2x and told him nicely. You seem to criticize people who are freshly registered on here and seem to want to drive them away.

And don't make fun of his spelling. He only spelled "where" incorrectly. Your grammar is not so great, BTW:

"Anyway no N64 will never run fullspeed on the GP2X, no hardware 3D chip to do such things." compared to the correct:

"Anyway, N64 will never run fullspeed on the GP2X, because there is no hardware 3D chip to do such things."

Enjoy, DaveC.

Thanks for the help. In a few weeks I plan to buy a GP2X and Ill be back on the forums to talk about GP2X and ask questions.

However... Why would some of you try to persuade me to buy A PSP over A GP2X if this is a forum for GP2X users? Anyhow, I suppose if you would like you can close this... Whatever you want.

- Classic Team (Mygames19)

Classic Team said:
Thanks for the help. In a few weeks I plan to buy a GP2X and Ill be back on the forums to talk about GP2X and ask questions.

However... Why would some of you try to persuade me to buy A PSP over A GP2X if this is a forum for GP2X users? Anyhow, I suppose if you would like you can close this... Whatever you want.

- Classic Team (Mygames19)
Well, you seemed to have an interest in the N64 and there is an emulator on the psp for that system. I think that's why he tried to persuade you.

We are not all blind fanboys here, most people, if not all, own multiple consoles. Therefore, we'll honestly tell you that the PSP may be more suitable.

If you go to a PSP site and ask the same question they would slag off a GP2X (using really bad grammar.)

OMars said:
And don't make fun of his spelling. He only spelled "where" incorrectly. Your grammar is not so great, BTW:

"Anyway no N64 will never run fullspeed on the GP2X, no hardware 3D chip to do such things." compared to the correct:

"Anyway, N64 will never run fullspeed on the GP2X, because there is no hardware 3D chip to do such things."

Enjoy, DaveC.
I didn't say anything about grammar ;)

And if you want to get picky it was more than "where" that was spelled wrong I guess you can't spell very well either (Sorry Classic, Omars made me elaborate. I didn't want to do this). Lets see:

Whighing In On The Gp2x
Is this a good dissision?

know this is probubly a supid question to be asking, but recently Ive been earning money to purchase a GP2X. However, Ive specked to a person who bought the unit and was unsatisfied, saying that the buttions were poorly misplaced casing screen splashes and the analog is horable, along with the waiting time for the unit to boot. I would like to ask, is this true? Ive looked at A few GP2X Youtube videos and these apears false, however it keeps bugging me. I don't want to by a unit I have trobule controlling the games on, neather the screen splashes. If this is false, how can I prevent it from going into that state?

Enjoy, Omars.

Spelling:.... :p

I was asking about the 64 because I understood that it runs Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, ext. But I could not find a 64 emulator. So, I asked. But I plan to have as many games as I could play on the GP2x on it. :p

Classic Team said:
Spelling:.... :p

I was asking about the 64 because I understood that it runs Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, ext. But I could not find a 64 emulator. So, I asked. But I plan to have as many games as I could play on the GP2x on it. :p
It's simple, if you want fancy 3D stuff, buy a PSP

If you like the old 2D consoles, a great movie-player and a nice community, stick to the GP2X.

DaveC said:
And if you want to get picky it was more than "where" that was spelled wrong I guess you can't spell very well either (Sorry Classic, Omars made me elaborate. I didn't want to do this). Lets see:

Whighing In On The Gp2x
Is this a good dissision?

know this is probubly a supid question to be asking, but recently Ive been earning money to purchase a GP2X. However, Ive specked to a person who bought the unit and was unsatisfied, saying that the buttions were poorly misplaced casing screen splashes and the analog is horable, along with the waiting time for the unit to boot. I would like to ask, is this true? Ive looked at A few GP2X Youtube videos and these apears false, however it keeps bugging me. I don't want to by a unit I have trobule controlling the games on, neather the screen splashes. If this is false, how can I prevent it from going into that state?

Enjoy, Omars.

Ok, so I guess only the first part of my post was true... ;)

Still find the GP2X to be excellent for retro gaming, dont really use mine for music or movies just retro gaming. MAME of course is excellent, the GBA emulator runs so well as do many others.

THe original post really did have some shocking spelling though, we're not the perfect spellers here but that post was shocking. I think if anything some of those spelling tutors on the Nintendo DS might be more up his street.

XD, more comments about how my spelling sucks.

The main reason I'm getting the GP2X is because I have a Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, GameBoy, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Gamecube, Sony PS2, Nintendo 64, a Gamegear, an NES, and for better or worse, a Sega Nomad (the ultimate battery eater; takes 6 AA's and last 3 - 5 hours, but is very rare.). And this is why I want A GP2X, so I can play most of that on the road. (Super Nintendo.... and much more :D)

And look, I spelled everything right.

Back